Unreliable play of audio tracks (mo3 and wav)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Seb78

Unreliable play of audio tracks (mo3 and wav)

Post by Seb78 »

Hello there!
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...I mean playing audio tracks properly in my timeline. Sometimes it coincides with the Audiowaves presented in the timeline, so I can make figure mouth positions without problems and in sync. But sometimes, when reopening the same project, I hear the audio files delayed, it is a delay of circa 10 or 15 frames...Unfortunately, this prevents me from working, and I am dependent on chance.
Is it a bug?
Kind regards
Sebastian
Seb78

Re: Unreliable play of audio tracks (mo3 and wav)

Post by Seb78 »

PS: I am working with the newest Moho version 13.5. And I did not mean "mo3", but "mp3" in the title, of course ;-)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

MP3 can be an awful format for animation reference. This is because it's a compressed codec, and the more compression the file uses, the worse it is for frame-by-frame playback and sync. MP3 is fine for listening to music and audio for entertainment, but I don't recommend using it for a reference track in an animation project.

A WAV or an AIF file's suitability can vary depending on the codec used. Like the above, if the codec is inappropriate, it can skip or delay when trying to step or scrub for animation syncing.

As a general rule, it's best to use an uncompressed WAV or AIF for animation reference. If all you have is the MP3, I suggest converting it to a more suitable format for animating your project. When you're done, you can use whichever format you like for the final output.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

To get more accurate audio playback, you really need to turn off Animation>Allow Frame Skipping. But this will likely make the audio play slower. So it's a tradeoff. You either hear the audio accurately or you get better frame accuracy.

But I also agree with Dennis about mp3. Compressed audio isn't ideal.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Additional note:

I thought a little about what I wrote, and I guess this also depends on whether Moho is fully caching the audio data to RAM or streaming from the drive while you play/step in the project. TBH, I haven't tested for this specifically with Moho; my suggestion is just a general rule I follow when using audio reference in any animation program, and it's worked reliably for me when animating in Moho.
Seb78

Post by Seb78 »

Hello to you,
thank you for your answers!
I haven't tried yet which audio format protects me the most from the sync problems I sometimes have, but I will in the future! I find it curious that this problem sometimes appears unexpectedly...
Many greetings,
Sebastian