Rigging Question

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

woodyabbott

Rigging Question

Post by woodyabbott »

Hi all,

New to Moho and have been watching different YouTube videos as well as the Bloop Animation Moho course.

I am working on rigging and curious what I'm missing here. I follow the steps for placing the bones and using flex-binding. Also added Smooth Joint for Bone Pair.

But my rig still looks like this - some of the artwork seems pinned and doesn't move with the bones. I'm sure it's something basic that I'm missing but I am definitely stuck. How would some of you more experienced riggers fix this?

/Users/wood/Desktop/Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 4.59.39 AM.png
Daxel

Re: Rigging Question

Post by Daxel »

Welcome! We can't see the image with that url. You have to upload it somewhere. But uploading the .moho file is always better.
If you are using Windows, you probably already have a onedrive cloud program installed that you can use to upload any file and share it with a link, that's what I do.

It's hard to guess what's happening on your rig, but for flexi-binding to work, you need to be sure that the bones have some strenght, and no other binding like point binding or layer binding is active for those elements.
You can try resetting the binding with the menu Bone- Reset any bone rigging (or something like that).
Also remember that for blexi-binding to work you need to have all your arwork inside your bone layer (the bone layer is like a folder)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Since you're new to Moho, I'm wondering if you're trying to pose your character in frame 0. If so, you need to step into frame 1 or later to pose your character. Frame 0 is reserved for set up and rigging. You can do some limited rig testing (e.g., testing IK with Manipulate Bones,) but you really cannot pose a character there. I you use Design Mode (Shift+Ctrl+D)

If you are posing in frame 1 or layer, my guess is that some bones do not have strength set properly, or you've possibly excluded layers from their bones. If you don't know what you did wrong, you could spend the afternoon figuring it out, or you can simply reset the broken part of the rig and try again. I suggest the latter...it's what I do because it's easier and a lot faster.

To partially reset the rigging: Select the layers you want to reset and choose Bone >Reset All Rigging. This will reset the selected layers to use the default Flexi-bind mode, and the other layers will retain their current layer binding methods.

(Note: You can use the Rest All Rigging command with multiple layers all at once but be sure to select at least one layer. If you don't select any layers, Moho will assume you want to reset the entire rig. That's fine if that's what you really want but most of the time it isn't.)

After resetting the layers, re-bind them as you intended.

Hope this helps.

Re: images, yes, it's almost impossible to know exactly what's wrong with a setup without seeing an example, either an image or the project file itself. To submit a image to this forum, you need to upload it to a cloud server first (i.e., Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) or use an image hosting site. After pasting in the link, use the Insert Image button so the post can display the image. (For Dropbox, you need to modify the link slightly. I can explain further if this is what you decided to do.)
ok_pepo

Post by ok_pepo »

Hello! How are you? Thank you for your time.

I encountered something curious while rigging a character. I added a "Smooth Joint" to the leg, and then I rigged the foot using points. The thing is, I made a small modification to the foot and had to detach some points to make them part of the leg rig. However, after detaching and removing the Smooth Joint, I couldn't add it back. In fact, I couldn't rig the leg in any other way apart from using points. The bones were unresponsive and didn't take the character's vectors. Only when I selected "Flexi Bind Layer" did the leg react, but not in the way I wanted. It became erratic (as if it rotated only from one point).

After many attempts and being unable to rig the leg again, I had to resort to using "Reset All Bone Rigging" 😢, which caused me to lose all the rigging.

It's not that this rigging was particularly difficult, but it got me thinking about what would happen if it were an advanced rig. Isn't there a way to reset only the selected parts?

I tried pressing "Release Layer and Point" multiple times and all the "Release" options I could find, but it didn't work. That's why I decided to reset. Perhaps the Reset function modifies something that the other options don't?

Thank you very much for reading this far, and I hope you understand what I mean.

Best regards! 😊
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

ok_pepo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:18 am After many attempts and being unable to rig the leg again, I had to resort to using "Reset All Bone Rigging" 😢, which caused me to lose all the rigging.

It's not that this rigging was particularly difficult, but it got me thinking about what would happen if it were an advanced rig. Isn't there a way to reset only the selected parts?
This info won't help you now but....

Reset All Rigging is actually the fastest and easiest way to fix a rig. I use it whenever something goes wrong, and I don't want to waste time troubleshooting a rigging error when it will be easier and quicker to rebind the layer correctly from the default state.

But you need to understand how this command works. To use Reset All Rigging properly, be sure to select the layers you wish to reset first. This will ensure that only the selected layers will get reset to the default Flexibind mode and not the entire rig.

Note that you can apply this command to a single layer or to multiple selections at once, another big time saver. But if you select nothing before using the command, then it assumes you want to reset all of the layers.

BTW, I highly recommend making incremental saves as build your rig. This way, when something catastrophic happens, you can safely regress to an earlier point. I like to make an incremental save about every 20 minutes so that's about all the time I lose when I mess something up. I also make sure to save before I try anything I'm uncertain about.

If you have trouble remembering to make an incremental save, there are a few scripts out there to do this for you automatically. The AutoSave script by Synthsin75 works very well.
ok_pepo

Post by ok_pepo »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:55 am
ok_pepo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:18 am After many attempts and being unable to rig the leg again, I had to resort to using "Reset All Bone Rigging" 😢, which caused me to lose all the rigging.

This info won't help you now but....

Reset All Rigging is actually the fastest and easiest way to fix a rig. I use it whenever something goes wrong, and I don't want to waste time troubleshooting a rigging error when it will be easier and quicker to rebind the layer correctly from the default state.

But you need to understand how this command works. To use Reset All Rigging properly, be sure to select the layers you wish to reset first. This will ensure that only the selected layers will get reset to the default Flexibind mode and not the entire rig.

Note that you can apply this command to a single layer or to multiple selections at once, another big time saver. But if you select nothing before using the command, then it assumes you want to reset all of the layers.

BTW, I highly recommend making incremental saves as build your rig. This way, when something catastrophic happens, you can safely regress to an earlier point. I like to make an incremental save about every 20 minutes so that's about all the time I lose when I mess something up. I also make sure to save before I try anything I'm uncertain about.

If you have trouble remembering to make an incremental save, there are a few scripts out there to do this for you automatically. The AutoSave script by Synthsin75 works very well.

Thank you so much!! You're right, you can reset only the selected layer. I don't know what I did before I pressed the Reset All Rigging option and it reset everything. I'll make sure to be more careful with what I touch from now on, hahaha.

Thank you very much for the script! I'm going to take a look at it and I'll probably end up using it a lot!

Greetings!