Moho SVG Export messed up

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Moho SVG Export messed up

Post by DK »

Hi.
I just tried exporting a few things to svg from moho and it's totally messed up. First time exporting to svg after the new update.
Anyone else get this?
Cheers
D.K

Greenlaw

Re: Moho SVG Export messed up

Post by Greenlaw »

What are you viewing the SVG in?

I was wondering because I did a test a few minutes ago and opened the SVG in Edge (because it's set as the default SVG app on my computer,) and it looks fine. The character I made isn't as detailed as yours, but I wondered if it would look differently in another browser or program.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I just tried opening my SVG in Illustrator and it looks fine there too.

Can you post your character art in Moho format? I wonder if there's some feature being used that's not translating well.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Looks like SVG might not understand how to handle stacked shapes. It looks like that's what you're doing to get the sharp inner edges between the fingers.

Might need to make those shapes on separate layers, using references to keep them synced.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm Looks like SVG might not understand how to handle stacked shapes. It looks like that's what you're doing to get the sharp inner edges between the fingers.
From previous discussions .. I think those sharp inners are created with Variable Width lines. Unfortunately SVG does not support Variable Width lines, so they need to be converted to filled shapes. Moho does not do the best job translating VWl's into SVG shapes (fills). However - I have never seen it this bad.

I have also done a few tests but can't create anything that wacky ... and anything I do create looks the same as it did exported from 12.5.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
DK

Post by DK »

(I just did a test export from Moho 12.5 and got the same results so it's not a 13.5 issue)
There is a lot of masking in this file and I am aware of all the export issues with SVG and masking and line widths.
I was more concerned about the right eyeball not exporting at all but the left one does?

Here is the file:
http://www.creativetvandmedia.com/Forum ... erTest.zip
Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The "simple masking" requirement for SVG export means that each eye needs to be it's own masking group. You can reference the lids layer for both groups, so you can still animate then together. Exclude strokes doesn't export properly (only showing the exterior side of the stroke), but you can reference the eye for an unmasked outer stroke above the lids. Trick we had to do before exclude strokes.

You can probably also recreate the look of the variable line width by stacking a referenced fill layer over a stroke layer (with a wider stroke to make up for half of it being covered.

Those changes will allow accurate SVG export.
DK

Post by DK »

I was going to suggest an option in Moho that just traces an object and exports as all outlined fills. Currently
it's what I have to do to get around that messy variable line width/shape export.

Cheers
D.K
DK

Post by DK »

As a suggestion it's probably better for Moho to ignore the line widths rather than deal with them this way as the results are totally unusable. I think it would be more beneficial for just a normal width line to be exported.

Cheers
D.K