Frequent Crashing (solved in 13.5.4)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Re: Frequent Crashing

Post by chucky »

Wow , that's thorough Sam I get the crash on that file too.

If I make a file from scratch with the same criteria however, I don't get the crash.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Yeah - I had identically created test files that would not crash, but then some did after I reopened them, or when they were the 2nd file opened etc. Sometimes only crashing after creating multiple duplicate image layers or reference layers - and/or switching layers multiple times. So there are probably some other factors at play, but hopefully the test file will crash for Support so they can debug.

Looking at this from the other-side ... So far I have no crashes with the Style panel undocked, hidden or un-tabbed (i.e. Actions tab in front) !! So maybe that will work as a temporary work-around fix?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
chucky

Post by chucky »

Style window,, how weird, I did try and make a style for the second test but that did not provoke the crash.
something is being written in there eh?
Maybe a comparison of a file that crashes and one that doesn't.
That would be easier before json,
I haven't installed a beautifier ( or whatever they're called on this computer) yet
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

Had a crash (Moho closed, file recoverable, though) yesterday after clicking on a patch layer. Patch layers use a hyphen as part of their default naming system, so that may have contributed.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, that's interesting. A hyphen should be okay because it's part of the English character set, but I wonder. I haven't used a patch layer in 13.5.2 yet...will play around with it later today and see how it handles here.
rikberryere

Post by rikberryere »

Same problem. 13.5.2 has crashed over a dozen times since I've been working this morning; also doing pretty ordinary stuff like selecting a tool or moving a layer. (Autosave kept the loss to nothing, but the annoyance factor is pretty significant.) 13.5 never had this problem at all.

Working purely with vector files, no bitmaps. Still working on frame 0, no animation or rigs created yet. Moving layers tends to be the worst trigger.
I have no idea what I'm doing... so tally ho, eh?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Have you tried running with Auto Save disabled? I'm running with it enabled and haven't seen a problem, but some users are reporting they need to disable it for the current release.

With Auto Save disabled, you'll want to save incremental versions often of course. Even with it enabled, I save many versions just out of habit. (I do this with any content creation program.)
DK

Post by DK »

I seem to be having less crashes with style panel disabled...so far so good.
Cheers
D.K
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

MrMiracle77 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:44 pm Had a crash (Moho closed, file recoverable, though) yesterday after clicking on a patch layer. Patch layers use a hyphen as part of their default naming system, so that may have contributed.
rikberryere wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm ... crashed over a dozen times since I've been working this morning; also doing pretty ordinary stuff like selecting a tool or moving a layer. ... Working purely with vector files, no bitmaps. Still working on frame 0, no animation or rigs created yet. Moving layers tends to be the worst trigger.
I attempted to recreate these failures with Patch or just Vectors layers. I had some random fails during clicking around with lots of vector layers, but not consistent/repeatable enough to demonstrate.

However, whilst working with Patches - I tried to add a new one at one stage and Moho crashed. I then boiled that down to the following repeatable fail:

1. Create new document
2. Add a Shape
3. Select Shape (with Select Shape tool)
4. Ensure Style panel is docked & active
5. Attempt to add a new Patch* layer
6. Moho crashes

* note: Also tried adding Group, Bone, Note, Text - which sometimes also failed. Patch was however the most reliable! :twisted:

Again I could not repeat the failures in other Moho versions, nor with the Style panel hidden or undocked.

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 am 1. Create new document
2. Add a Shape
6. Moho crashes
I could only get a crash with GPU acceleration enabled. Probably why I haven't seen any crashes to speak of, as I usually keep GPU acceleration disabled.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:39 am I could only get a crash with GPU acceleration enabled. Probably why I haven't seen any crashes to speak of, as I usually keep GPU acceleration disabled.
Strange indeed. For me GPU acceleration enabled/disabled (even in preferences) seemed to make no difference on 2 different Windows systems. I also predominantly don't use GPU due to its impact on vector visualisation.

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:37 am
synthsin75 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:39 am I could only get a crash with GPU acceleration enabled. Probably why I haven't seen any crashes to speak of, as I usually keep GPU acceleration disabled.
Strange indeed. For me GPU acceleration enabled/disabled (even in preferences) seemed to make no difference on 2 different Windows systems. I also predominantly don't use GPU due to its impact on vector visualisation.
Ah, I can get it to crash every time, just using a slightly different order of your steps. Swapping steps 3 and 4 causes a crash every time, with GPU disabled. In the order you gave them, it only crashes with GPU enabled for me.
1. Create new document
2. Add a Shape
6. Moho crashes
opeth

Post by opeth »

house10 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 am
opeth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:32 am
hayasidist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 pm I've just had a series of crashes -- working with layers with "non-English" characters in their names. Wondering if this might be behind some of the crashes reported here?
I could definitely be getting crushed because of the non english characters. I use non english on many layers and paths
search for 2.5 on moho older version is more steady.
I think dey tampered with some codes thats y d crash.
I know 2.5 is more stable but we bought 1.3. We asked for a license to use 2.5 at least until the problems were resolved, as they had the same problems, but there was no response. That's why we are in so much trouble right now. We go back and forth between 1.3 and 1.3.5 while doing our work.
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
EricTheFish

Post by EricTheFish »

FWIW I had some crash issues today concerning adding a new point to a shape that was already involved in a point animation action.

Adding the new point part way along a stroke at frame zero seemed to work, but then MOHO crashed shortly afterwards. Reloading and continuing still crashed again.

I removed the point keys from the action and then added the new shape point and started animating again, so far so good no further crashes.

I'm now wondering if a shape's points are indexed in some way and that adding a new point has screwed up the action and caused the crash?
EricTheFish
Artist, musician, animator, coder and dabbler in stuff
www.tech-nique.co.uk
rikberryere

Post by rikberryere »

...and just like that, the issue went away. Hasn't crashed once after a flurry of crashes a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea why, or what fixed it, or if it was simply a comet going by (my usual blame for such things) but it's all good in the neighborhood again.
I have no idea what I'm doing... so tally ho, eh?