Frequent Crashing (solved in 13.5.4)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Frequent Crashing

Post by Greenlaw »

Two crashes is still two too many.

I've actually seen very few crashes with 13.5.2 on my computer, but I hope this gets resolved for you soon.
DK

Post by DK »

I can't afford to disable auto save...I tend to get lost in my work then BANG! Lost.
D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

If you are having a lot of crashes doing what may be considered normal tasks then maybe there's something wrong with your RAM or some other computational hardware?
I have have had render crashes when I've tried massive art sizes while multithreading, disabling multithread fixes it.
DK

Post by DK »

Good point Chucky. I am getting a few crashes on my Omen but not as many as my amd. Funny nothing else is affected?
D.K
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

On Windows - I see Crash Dumps in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\
This may not necessarily be enabled on all systems, and I may have enabled application dumping many moons ago.

I get crashes, but they are Script related. Typically my bad programming or when reloading Scripts (too often).

Unfortunately Moho is not as tolerant as it should/could be when dealing with some script errors - like passing the wrong variable type to some functions (i.e. userdata -> int) and will Crash.

Some of the exception errors I see:

0xC0000005 - The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF682F30D0B (Moho.exe) in Moho.exe.56488.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

0xC00000FD - The thread used up its stack.
Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFC5D3AB804 (mscms.dll) in Moho.exe.36884.dmp: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000001F42603A48).

Note: There is no more detail, as we don't have debug Symbols/Info for Moho.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
DK

Post by DK »

I've had this :

© Dump Summary

Dump File Moho.exe.9664.dmp : C:\Users\user peVppData\Local\CrashDurmps\Moho.exe.9664.dmp
Last Write Time 29/11/2021 113001 AM.

Process Name Moho.exe : C:\Program Files\Moho\Moho.exe

Process Architecture xe

Exception Code xco000005

Exception Information ‘The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have
the appropriate access,
Heap Information Not Present

D.K
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Apropiate access... could this be one of those problems that can be solved running the program as administrator?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:27 pm Apropiate access... could this be one of those problems that can be solved running the program as administrator?
That's not a good idea. Access protection is there to stop accidents such as applications writing over "system" code -- which might manifest themselves in apocalyptic disasters that make moho crashing little more than a broken finger nail in comparison. If moho is trying to write somewhere it shouldn't, trust the system to protect itself! No excuses for moho if it's bugged -- but, as Sam has already said, I too can crash moho many times a day when developing a script -- invariably my own dumb fault - such as uninitialised / undefined / wrong userdata type / ... And, yup, Moho (and LUA) could be more resilient, but at what performance cost?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:58 pm
That's not a good idea. Access protection is there to stop accidents such as applications writing over "system" code
You are probably right but running as administrator has solved my problems too many times to stop trying it at this point. They will probably write on my grave "Ran through life as administrator"
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I've just had a series of crashes -- working with layers with "non-English" characters in their names. Wondering if this might be behind some of the crashes reported here?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 pm I've just had a series of crashes -- working with layers with "non-English" characters in their names. Wondering if this might be behind some of the crashes reported here?
I had wondered that, in passing. Maybe with the new PSD handling, that bug crept back in?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm, that's an interesting theory. I avoid using non-English characters in file paths, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing these crashes here.

In general, I avoid it because it can lead to network issues, especially where multiple platforms in a network are involved. (Common example: Windows computers accessing a NAS running on Linux.)

A lot of the early crashing problems were related to using non-English chars in filenames and paths. Just avoid it and avoid the headaches.
opeth

Post by opeth »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 pm I've just had a series of crashes -- working with layers with "non-English" characters in their names. Wondering if this might be behind some of the crashes reported here?
I could definitely be getting crushed because of the non english characters. I use non english on many layers and paths
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I've logged a bug (J 229) about layer names with non-English characters causing problems. If anyone has specific examples of crashes, please post them here and I'll link the bug report to them.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

App Crash switching between Vector and Image layer - Moho 13.5.2

I came across an app crash issue when switching between a Vector and Image layer. After several tests I think I have narrowed down some factors that contributed ...

* The vector layer must have a shape present, which is also selected - with Fill and/or Stroke
* The Style panel must be visible/active and docked
* The image size may be factor 400KB+ (some smaller files seemed OK, unless image layer was duplicated)

additionally

- Tested with PNG and JPG bitmaps
- Tested with PSD, but would only fail when the selected PSD layer was a reference
- Layer order seemed irrelevant
- My test seemed to fail most consistently when opening the test file first (i.e. 1st document after Moho start)
- Fails Tested on 2 different systems - Desktop/Tablet laptop
- GPU on/off made no difference
- Tested with all custom tool scripts removed
- Tested with a file created in 12.5 (failed in 13.5.2)
- A failing test file in 13.5.2 did not cause fail in 12.5 / 13.5.0
- I could not recreate this problem under any circumstance using 12.5 / 13.5.0

Demo Moho File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H9UH_4 ... sp=sharing

Issue Demo

Reported to LM Support.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam