Frequent Crashing (solved in 13.5.4)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stephenthomas0

Frequent Crashing (solved in 13.5.4)

Post by stephenthomas0 »

Anyone else finding the latest Moho (13.5.2) is crashing very frequently and seemingly at random? I'm crashing about once an hour, have had crashes selecting layers, selecting shapes, selecting styles, choosing styles. Feels like any click could be the one to nuke it. Worst of all is that the autosaves hardly ever recover the lost work, I've just lost an hours worth of work because I selected a shape and I almost threw my mouse at the wall 😐 I'd go back to 12.5, but I'm using some of the new features in 13.5. I've submitted tickets before, but I can't really do it for this as the cause is seemingly at random. Does anyone know if there's a crash log I can look at or submit to Lost Marble?

Anyone else finding this? I'm on macOS Big Sur (11.6.1) on an Intel Mac, so nothing crazy new with the hardware or operating system.
slowtiger

Re: Frequent Crashing

Post by slowtiger »

This is definitely not common.

- Does this happen with other software too?
- Do you save to external drives?
- Do you use a tablet? Which one?
- Which other software is running at the same time?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
stephenthomas0

Post by stephenthomas0 »

slowtiger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:55 pm This is definitely not common.

- Does this happen with other software too?
- Do you save to external drives?
- Do you use a tablet? Which one?
- Which other software is running at the same time?
Arg. I guess it's good overall if I'm in a minority, just not for me 😅 Thanks for the quick reply.

- No. Just Moho.
- No. Saving to an internal drive, to a Dropbox folder specifically.
- Not on the computer with all this crashing, just a bluetooth mouse.
- Not much else. I often have Safari open, sometimes DaVinci Resolve so I can check the edit while I'm working. Nothing that's actively doing anything or taking up much processing power.

Another couple of details as I've seen these crop up in these forums:

- Not using any custom cursors in the OS.
- It's running in 'low resolution mode' to make things quicker.

Another thing to note, I bring in the animatic as an "image layer" (it's an mp4) so that I have the audio and storyboard reference while I work. I hardly ever switch this off as I need the audio for prompts on action and for lip sync, but over the past hour I tried switching it off to see if it makes a difference. No crashes yet and it feels quicker too, but I'll post again if I have another crash with it off. Do you often work with a video linked in? Not sure if this is the cause, just stabbing in the dark now to see if I hit anything...
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, the video is worth investigating. I use projects with a lot of video files sometimes, but mine are all .mov with PNG or Apple ProRes compression and I don't have crashes. Could you try and exchange your MP4 to a different, uncompressed format?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

stephenthomas0 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm Anyone else finding this?
Sadly, I've been crashing way more frequently as well, and like you, it usually occurs when performing a very mundane action (selecting a different tool, selecting a different layer, etc). I recently experimented with syncing my custom content folder on OneDrive, so, I wonder if that would be causing an issue. For me, disabling brushes in the viewport seems to reduce the likelihood of a crash.
opeth

Post by opeth »

As someone who uses Moho for hours every day, I totally agree. 13.5.2 crashes from time to time for ridiculous reasons. And now I'm working with 13. And the latest version works slowly when I open old files. I'm still using 13 now, I'm using version 13.5.2 from time to time.
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
stephenthomas0

Post by stephenthomas0 »

alanthebox wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:22 pm
stephenthomas0 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm Anyone else finding this?
Sadly, I've been crashing way more frequently as well, and like you, it usually occurs when performing a very mundane action (selecting a different tool, selecting a different layer, etc). I recently experimented with syncing my custom content folder on OneDrive, so, I wonder if that would be causing an issue. For me, disabling brushes in the viewport seems to reduce the likelihood of a crash.
and
opeth wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 pm As someone who uses Moho for hours every day, I totally agree. 13.5.2 crashes from time to time for ridiculous reasons. And now I'm working with 13. And the latest version works slowly when I open old files. I'm still using 13 now, I'm using version 13.5.2 from time to time.
Sorry to hear that, but glad I'm not the only one. Yes, exactly the same here, not doing anything special at all when it crashes. Think the worst was a crash when I selected a layer... Makes me think this is related to the UI somehow...

I'm not using OneDrive, but I do use iCloud and my Documents folder is synced on it, so that could be the cause. I have been doing it this way for a while though, so if that's the cause, it must a new bug for the custom content folder.

I wish there was a crash report we could look at to figure out these things. Even running Moho from the Terminal gives no information about the crash. Think I've been spoilt by the bug reporting in Blender, it's incredibly easy and you usually get a fix within a matter of days.
slowtiger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:51 pm Hm, the video is worth investigating. I use projects with a lot of video files sometimes, but mine are all .mov with PNG or Apple ProRes compression and I don't have crashes. Could you try and exchange your MP4 to a different, uncompressed format?
Thinking more about this, I have been getting crashes when creating rigs and I don't link in video for those files, so it's probably not the cause.

After saying all of this, I haven't had a crash since creating this post. I'm glad in a way, can get some work done without wanting to throw my laptop out the window 😅 but I also know the problem is still there and have no idea what the cause is. My solution at the minute is to just press Command S pretty much all the time. It's a pain to remember to do it and a bit of a time waster, but I guess it's not as bad as losing my work.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Have you guys tried to disable auto-saving in Edit - Preferences - Documents tab ?
I was having those crashes on 12.5, and 13.5.X until I disabled it, and it has been very stable since then. Someone recomended it to me and worked like a charm.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

Daxel wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:22 pm Have you guys tried to disable auto-saving in Edit - Preferences - Documents tab ?
I was having those crashes on 12.5, and 13.5.X until I disabled it, and it has been very stable since then. Someone recomended it to me and worked like a charm.
Yup, I always keep auto-save disabled. At this point, my muscle memory to hit control+s every 5 minutes is practically its own auto-save.
DK

Post by DK »

Yes....I am getting frequent crashing. The only good thing about it is Moho manages to save the file pretty well before shutdown. The crashing is quite random and seems to have something to do with trying to do too many things, as in creating groups and selecting colors in quick succession...suddenly Moho will just hang and shut down.

D.K
stephenthomas0

Post by stephenthomas0 »

DK wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 am Yes....I am getting frequent crashing. The only good thing about it is Moho manages to save the file pretty well before shutdown. The crashing is quite random and seems to have something to do with trying to do too many things, as in creating groups and selecting colors in quick succession...suddenly Moho will just hang and shut down.

D.K
This definitely sounds familiar, pretty sure most of my crashes happen when I'm doing things in quick succession
opeth

Post by opeth »

I guess it may be related to ' ignored by layer selector '. Because most of the crashes seem to be related to the layer selector.
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

stephenthomas0 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm Anyone else finding the latest Moho (13.5.2) is crashing very frequently and seemingly at random? I'm crashing about once an hour, have had crashes selecting layers, selecting shapes, selecting styles, choosing styles. Feels like any click could be the one to nuke it. Worst of all is that the autosaves hardly ever recover the lost work, I've just lost an hours worth of work because I selected a shape and I almost threw my mouse at the wall 😐 I'd go back to 12.5, but I'm using some of the new features in 13.5. I've submitted tickets before, but I can't really do it for this as the cause is seemingly at random. Does anyone know if there's a crash log I can look at or submit to Lost Marble?

Anyone else finding this? I'm on macOS Big Sur (11.6.1) on an Intel Mac, so nothing crazy new with the hardware or operating system.
as said daxel, disabling "auto save for crash recovery" must solve the problem.
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

alanthebox wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:29 am
Daxel wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:22 pm Have you guys tried to disable auto-saving in Edit - Preferences - Documents tab ?
Yup, I always keep auto-save disabled. At this point, my muscle memory to hit control+s every 5 minutes is practically its own auto-save.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34620
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
stephenthomas0

Post by stephenthomas0 »

After a full day, I've only had 2 crashes 🥳 🥳 🥳 Maybe complaining on this forum as somehow fixed the issue 😅