Frame by frame masking improvements

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

malistaticy

Frame by frame masking improvements

Post by malistaticy »

hello, could it be possible to make it so that frame-by-frame layers have the same "exclude strokes" checkbox that vectors do when used as an "add to mask"? i find it very useful, but it is unavailable on FBF layers

thanks
synthsin75

Re: Frame by frame masking improvements

Post by synthsin75 »

Group layers (like FBF switches) don't have strokes to exclude. Only vector sublayers do.

What you can do is what we did before we had exclude strokes. You can put an unmasked stroke-only reference above the masked group.
malistaticy

Post by malistaticy »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:21 am Group layers (like FBF switches) don't have strokes to exclude. Only vector sublayers do.

What you can do is what we did before we had exclude strokes. You can put an unmasked stroke-only reference above the masked group.
yeah, i was worried it might be something like that. i was just hoping that there might be some improvements so that it, well, can?

yeah, that's the current workaround im using, but (unless im mistaken and missing something obvious) i have to go through all the frames
on the reference FBF individually and unfill them on the style window... tedious :(
plus it seems like FBF references have trouble updating unless i fiddle with the points a second time after adjusting them, maybe that's just me
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

malistaticy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:32 am on the reference FBF individually and unfill them on the style window... tedious :(
Yeah, that's why I got into scripting, so I could automate that sort of tedious stuff.
plus it seems like FBF references have trouble updating unless i fiddle with the points a second time after adjusting them, maybe that's just me
Moho doesn't automatically update adding layers to a reference, but I haven't seen a problem with references updating moving points around.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey sorry for not answering this before, I only just saw it.

If you drag your FBF frames out of the group temporarily ( but still within the masking group), you can apply the exclude strokes option, as it will no longer be greyed out.
You can then frag them back into the group again and you will have what you are after.

It's a workaround to a mysterious limitation, I do it all the time.
I also just tested it in 13.5.2 and it works as well as ever.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

chucky wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:18 am Hey sorry for not answering this before, I only just saw it.

If you drag your FBF frames out of the group temporarily ( but still within the masking group), you can apply the exclude strokes option, as it will no longer be greyed out.
You can then frag them back into the group again and you will have what you are after.

It's a workaround to a mysterious limitation, I do it all the time.
I also just tested it in 13.5.2 and it works as well as ever.
one gripe I've had, and still have, with Moho's FBF - is the lack of good support for a Frame that is a Group of (vector) layers. Chucky made a great tutorial and template based on reference layers to as a workaround for that -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgxJKD93_I (the link to this forum is in the YT description). But the templates seem to have evaporated?
chucky

Post by chucky »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:23 am one gripe I've had, and still have, with Moho's FBF - is the lack of good support for a Frame that is a Group of (vector) layers. Chucky made a great tutorial and template based on reference layers to as a workaround for that -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgxJKD93_I (the link to this forum is in the YT description). But the templates seem to have evaporated?
Yeah, as data storage and internet has become so much cheaper over the years, it's ironic that website hosting has gone through the roof.
It seems that all the old companies have been absorbed by greedy oligarchs who have fixed new fees at extortionistic prices, so I've shut down all my sites , all my files are therefore offline.
I should pit them up on onedrive I guess.