Contemporary developments in Anime

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Terri B. Linden

Contemporary developments in Anime

Post by Terri B. Linden »

A century after its birth, animation continues to evolve. The most exciting developments are found on two distinct fronts: the anime (“animation”) of Japan and the prime-time television cartoons of the United States. An offspring of the dense, novelistic style of Japanese manga comic books and the cut-rate techniques developed for television production in 1960, anime such as Miyazaki Hayao’s Princess Mononoke (1997) are the modern equivalent of the epic folk adventures once filmed by Mizoguchi Kenji (The 47 Ronin, 1941) and Kurosawa Akira (Yojimbo, 1961; “The Bodyguard”). Kon Satoshi’s Perfect Blue (1997) suggests the early Japanese New Wave films of director Oshima Nagisa with its violent exploration of a media-damaged personality.
Greenlaw

Re: Contemporary developments in Anime

Post by Greenlaw »

Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I thought that sounded like the setup for a spammer, completely irrelevant to the section it was posted in and offering no topic for discussion.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

On a positive note, I learned how to create a link to a specific line on a page. :)

(In Chrome, select the text and then right-click 'Copy link to highlight'.)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Link to highlight didn't work in Firefox. Apparently there's an extension for that.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

After reading the post from Terri B. Linden I have learned that compared to the Japanese animators he lists that I suck at animation. But even some of the very best animators have a difficult time of making a living at it. Years ago I told an animator that she could keep doing the thing she loved and stay broke or get her real estate license and make some real money. Last I heard from her she still is selling the real estate.
So Terry please don't remind me of my shortcomings. I'm probably never going to be good as Mirazaki or any of the other animators you listed.
But on the other hand if you want to go into great detail of the Japanese animators skills and techniques please post in "animation" section here.

Dale
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hello, I removed this spammer, but since you are replying here, Is it OK if I remove this thread?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Victor!

Sure, feel free to remove this thread. I was just having fun with it.

Or maybe move it to Miscellaneous? The topic does interest me and I could legitimately go on and on about Japanese film and animation...but on the other hand I don't really have the time right now. 😸
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

:lol:
Moved!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel