Another HeadTurn/Take animation test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Another HeadTurn/Take animation test

Post by JoelMayer »

Animated this while livestreaming:

dueyftw

Re: Another HeadTurn/Take animation test

Post by dueyftw »

Although you're keeping the volume in the squash and stretch of the entire face, but is kind of overdone in my opinion. Remember this is animation and everybody's got an opinion. If you're happy with it then it's fine. Now for some real nitpicking, the right eyebrow lifting up at the very end of the animation is kind of awkward.

Dale
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yea i know what you mean, thanks for the feedback ;) Was really just testing the waters but yea probably overdone it with squash and stretch haha...

Sometimes i wondeer if Moho really is such a time saver. I have a frame by frame background so maybe i should just draw this stuff :D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The mechanics of squash&stretch look right, but even the most distorted animation keeps a bit of reality and doesn't forget that the skull is a rigid object and eyes and ears have a fixed position in it. Of course that's a bit more complicated to rig than an overall rubbery head. Did you do some expression sketches with pencil on paper before? If not, I recommend it, it will help you to sort out the wobbly bits against the rigod ones, and the limits of their movement. (And I think you should improve the position of the head turn's pivot point.)
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

JoelMayer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:25 am Yea i know what you mean, thanks for the feedback ;) Was really just testing the waters but yea probably overdone it with squash and stretch haha...

Sometimes i wondeer if Moho really is such a time saver. I have a frame by frame background so maybe i should just draw this stuff :D
I think you are doing fine! you will improve over time because if you came from FBF this is not the workflow you are used to. And coming from a FBF background you are in a good position to understand what is Moho giving you for free. My advice would be to not try to save too much time. Moho is a time saver, but if we try to force that, we will make cheaper animations instead of obtaining the same quality in less time.

If you feel that the squash and stretch doesn't convince you, just fine tune the drawing with the magnet tool and there shouldn't be any difference from drawing some frames manually. Maybe you used a too general technique, like scaling the head layer, and that will always give you less control than using point animation, that can be done in 30 seconds. Not the 1 second that is scaling the head layer, but as I said you can obtain the same drawing as if you drawed it manually, so 30 seconds for that frame with its colors and the inbetweens is a huge time saver for me.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yea i'm sketching things out a lot. At work i mainly do storyboards in Storyboard Pro but already pretty posed out and for cut out i like to do keyposes as well buuut i didn't do it here because, honestly, i was just fooling around in Moho :D

Squash and Stretch was just applying that to the head bone but yeah, maybe i could somehow apply it to the jaw. I usually do a separate shape for cranium and jaw so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thanks for the tips!