Exporting with layer comp

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mishat

Exporting with layer comp

Post by Mishat »

I exported just one character of the scene using layer comp. Then imported in after effects expecting transparent background but background was gray. I watched some tutorials. It didn't work for me. After effects shows a popup for matted or unmatted import option. my case that just imported right into it. I am new. Using Moho 13.5.

Another question, Is there any way I can round the corners of a square shape. Explainer videos use a lot round corner square shapes. I have to add extra points and make corners round. Is there any easy way like illustrator? Thanks.
Lukas

Re: Exporting with layer comp

Post by Lukas »

Mishat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 am I exported just one character of the scene using layer comp. Then imported in after effects expecting transparent background but background was gray. I watched some tutorials. It didn't work for me. After effects shows a popup for matted or unmatted import option. my case that just imported right into it. I am new. Using Moho 13.5.
What format are you using? Make sure you export in a format that has an alpha channel, I recommend render .png image sequences.
Mishat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 am Another question, Is there any way I can round the corners of a square shape. Explainer videos use a lot round corner square shapes. I have to add extra points and make corners round. Is there any easy way like illustrator? Thanks.
It's not the illustrator way, but check out Hayasadist's shape tool, it can draw rectangles with rounded corners: http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=34281
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Mishat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 am
Another question, Is there any way I can round the corners of a square shape. Explainer videos use a lot round corner square shapes. I have to add extra points and make corners round. Is there any easy way like illustrator? Thanks.
This is closer to how its done in ilustrator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99fAoOE6aE
If you dont know how to install scripts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw1dhpBNEs
Mishat

Post by Mishat »

Daxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:57 pm
Mishat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 am
This is closer to how its done in ilustrator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99fAoOE6aE
If you dont know how to install scripts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw1dhpBNEs
That's exactly what I needed. Big Thanks.
Mishat

Post by Mishat »

Lucas. What format are you using? Make sure you export in a format that has an alpha channel, I recommend render .png image sequences.
There's 4 options i see. image sequence, video, animated gif and svg. In video there's mp4 and m4v.I exported in .mp4 format. In previous versions i think there was more options like quick time. How can i be sure of alpha channel, I am really noob.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

For composting, you want to use an image sequence format that supports an alpha channel. In Moho, PNG is the most suitable format. Some recommended options are to enable Extra Smooth images (at the cost of higher render times,) and to disable Do Not Premultiply Alpha Channel. Enable Antialiasing if you're not going to apply it as a post effect in your compositing program (i.e., with OLM Smoother in After Effects.) I suggest adding your render settings as a preset so you can select it from the list instead of setting it up each time you render. Or you can make your settings the default if you use these same settings most of the time.

My preferred way to use Layer Comps is to set up all my layer passes and special mattes as separate layer comps. But before I do that, I create a 'master' layer comp that I can easily switch back to.

When I'm ready to render, I save my project file and launch Moho Exporter (not Export Animation.) Moho should automatically add the project to the render queue; if it didn't, you need to add it by clicking the Add Files button. (If it didn't load automatically, it's probably because the file wasn't saved or wasn't left open.)

While in Moho Exporter, you'll see only the one project. What you want to do is split it to multiple passes, which you can do with a single button click. But before you do that, set the output path for the comp and any common renders settings you wish to use. This way, when you create your passes, they will all use the same information. Now you can click the Split Selected Item By Layer Comp button, and Moho will create your render passes, and each layer comp will automatically get a unique name and folder when you render them.

If you created a 'master' layer comp like I suggested, you'll want to delete that one before rendering, and delete any layer comps you don't need to render.

When I'm ready, I click the Start button and Moho will render out each of the passes for compositing.

One more tip: if you expect to render this project multiple times because you will be making animation changes, I recommend saving a Moho Exporter Profile from the window's File menu. This records the entire setup, including the layer comps you wish to render and the preferred output directory, which can be reloaded the next time you wish to render. This can be a real timesaver.

Hope this heips.
Mishat

Post by Mishat »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:38 pm For composting, you want to use an image sequence format that supports an alpha channel. In Moho, PNG is the most suitable format.
Got it. Really Thanks for elaborate explanation. Exporting as png and importing in after effects as png sequence. Then export as transparent video. Then import back to after effects and composite. Is this your workflow.

Again, Thanks for the tips.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Mishat wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:56 am ... Then export as transparent video. Then import back to after effects ...
That part is not necessary. After you have imported the PNG sequence footage - you are good. Just use it as your would use an imported video.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Mishat

Post by Mishat »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:05 am
Mishat wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:56 am ... Then export as transparent video. Then import back to after effects ...
That part is not necessary. After you have imported the PNG sequence footage - you are good. Just use it as your would use an imported video.

Thanks.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, it's unnecessary to convert the image sequence to a video file in After Effects only to re-import the file for compositing. It's more efficient to composite with image sequences and you get way more flexibility.

Generally speaking, video should be used for editorial purposes in a program like Premiere or Vegas Pro. Naturally, it should also be used for final output from the video editor.

So my workflow is:

1. Output layer image sequences with alpha from the animation program (2D or 3D.)
2. Import footage into the composting program (After Effects, Nuke or Fusion.) Here, you can work with anything: stills, sequences, video 3D, etc. For raw animation layer footage, image sequence with alpha is preferred.
3. Output video from the compositing program, alpha is optional.
4. Import and edit video in the video editing program.
5. Output final video from the video editing program.

This is the common workflow in the industry.