Moho development and community contributors

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Moho development and community contributors

Post by Daxel »

Being the small new company that it is right now and how big and feature packed the program is, I wonder if it could benefit more efficiently from the generous scripters we have here trying to improve the tool they use and love.

They could also benefit from ideas. It shouldn't be hard to organize, for example, a community contest where we could all propose new features submitting them into some web (there are a bunch of free platforms for this, no need to develop anything) where you can also vote for the best features proposed and the winner gets a free moho copy/upgrade, resulting not only in a lot of ideas but a filter to easily spot those that has real value because they were top rated by the actual users so they are marketing wise already proven to motivate buyers. This last thing is only an example but the kind of thing I think could be good for Moho.

I follow some open source projects and sometimes they come with the best ideas and features ever just because of collective intelligence. Godot, Krita or blender are good examples. But I want to make clear that I am not asking for it to be actually open sourced, only more community supported than ever.

Could Moho grow faster and stronger thanks to us? Are they already doing all they can in that regard? What do you guys know/think about it?
davoodice2

Re: Moho development and community contributors

Post by davoodice2 »

Daxel wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:31 pm Being the small new company that it is right now and how big and feature packed the program is, I wonder if it could benefit more efficiently from the generous scripters we have here trying to improve the tool they use and love.

They could also benefit from ideas. It shouldn't be hard to organize, for example, a community contest where we could all propose new features submitting them into some web (there are a bunch of free platforms for this, no need to develop anything) where you can also vote for the best features proposed and the winner gets a free moho copy/upgrade, resulting not only in a lot of ideas but a filter to easily spot those that has real value because they were top rated by the actual users so they are marketing wise already proven to motivate buyers. This last thing is only an example but the kind of thing I think could be good for Moho.

I follow some open source projects and sometimes they come with the best ideas and features ever just because of collective intelligence. Godot, Krita or blender are good examples. But I want to make clear that I am not asking for it to be actually open sourced, only more community supported than ever.

Could Moho grow faster and stronger thanks to us? Are they already doing all they can in that regard? What do you guys know/think about it?
100 % agree 👍
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Two words… Dis-Cord. Let LM open it and appoint community members als co-mods.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

JoelMayer wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:05 pm Two words… Dis-Cord. Let LM open it and appoint community members als co-mods.
I don't see how that could help Moho developers to take advantage of community contributions. Maybe something more dev-focused like a Github could help.
If you are interested in a Moho discord, know that we already talked about that here: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... it=discord
And we already have one: https://discord.com/invite/n4mZecqy4j
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Daxel wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:31 pm Being the small new company that it is right now and how big and feature packed the program is, I wonder if it could benefit more efficiently from the generous scripters we have here trying to improve the tool they use and love.
Yes!

What I would like is a simple way to make the addition (and removal) of certain scripts a lot easier. Nothing about core Moho changes, except for this thing: A window for "Popular Scripts" is added somewhere. Click it, and you get a list of twenty-plus unofficial scripts by Moho script-makers. These scripts would be the most popular scripts. Next to each script would appear a box: check the box and the script is added. Check it again, and it is removed.

Presently, before I add a script, I have to make sure that it will work with my version of Moho. Then I have to download the script and install it into the correct folders. Plus I have to keep a duplicate, so I know what I had added, that way I can remove all the files if the script ever starts acting wonky. But sometimes I only need the script a little while, so what then? Do I delete it and perhaps go through the whole process again? Not to mention I am likely to forget what I'm supposed to do if I don't add a script for a long time.

Having an official, simple method of adding and removing the most popular scripts would be nice. If a person doesn't need them, fine -- they are not cluttering up the workspace. But if a person needs them, it would be nice if there was a super easy way to add them.

Maybe the scripts don't need to be the most popular: maybe the only criteria is that they work. That's fine, too. There could be dozens of scripts, or hundreds, a couple of mouse-clicks away. If you want to try the Nudge Keys Toolset, no problem, click click, installed. If you don't like it, click click, gone.