Multiple Default Fill/Stroke, plus Default Blur Radius

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Multiple Default Fill/Stroke, plus Default Blur Radius

Post by Hoptoad »

In the Style Window, it would be nifty if there was a little button that you could click on to cycle through two or more default fill/stroke combos.

Click: (1) red fill, black stroke
Click: (2) yellow fill, orange stroke
Click: (3) white fill, gray stroke
Click: (4) cycle back to (1)

ALSO...

Presently you access the fill/stroke defaults in Preferences. It would be convenient if you could change the default fill/stroke quickly while working. Maybe the default colors could appear as little circles on the Style Window as reminders, and you need only use the Paint Bucket tool on the circles to update the default?

ALSO ALSO....

I tend to use the same Soft Edge effect, Blur Radius a lot. It would be nice to be able to set a default Blur Radius in Preferences, so all I would have to do is click OKAY in the pop-up window.

ALSO ALSO ALSO...

It would be nifty if there was a plus and minus button to click in the Blur Radius panel, so I could change the default number in the panel to the next integer. Yes, I like using the mouse more than number keys.
Greenlaw

Re: Multiple Default Fill/Stroke, plus Default Blur Radius

Post by Greenlaw »

Some suggestions you can try in the meantime...

1 & 2 (ALSO...) - In the meantime, you can make a 'palette' layer with shapes that have all the 'default' styles you want to use, and then you can use the Eyedropper to sample the styles as you need them. This tool samples both the fill and stroke color, as well as the stroke width. Like so...

If you learn the modifier keys, you can even sample only the fill color (Shift), or only the stroke color (Shift+Alt). Note that you do not need to select the 'palette' layer to sample from it; you can be in any other layer and do this.

I find this trick handy when I'm creating FBF in Moho.

3 - (ALSO, ALSO...) If you import a blank layer with the soft edge effect and blur radius settings you want to the library window, you can drag a copy of that layer from the library into your project anytime. To import a layer to the library, just select the layer and click the Import button (the plus sign.) (Speaking of library window, you can save your palette layers here too, as well as any custom styles you might have set up.)

4. (ALSO, ALSO, ALSO...) Try right-click drag left/right inside the Blur Radius number box. This lets you 'dial in' the number you want using the mouse. BTW, this trick works with any number box in Moho. I often use it instead of the number keypad.

Hope this helps
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I just realized you already know about the mouse method for the last one. Never mind.

Yeah, being able to increment by one could be handy.

Update: I discovered you can do that now. Hold down Ctrl while scrubbing in the number box. This will increment the value by whole integers. (Neat...learn something new every day.) :D
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:23 am Some suggestions you can try in the meantime...
I tried everything you said and, wow, this is a big help to me. Thank you.

The holding down ctrl while rolling the scroll wheel to change the blur radius in the Soft Edge panel into integers doesn't work (and neither does holding down alt and cmd). Not sure why. Maybe it's a Windows only thing? Oh well, no biggy.

I am posting a question about the Library in the General forum.

Thanks again! Big, big help.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hoptoad wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:46 pm The holding down ctrl while rolling the scroll wheel to change the blur radius in the Soft Edge panel into integers doesn't work (and neither does holding down alt and cmd).
Shoot, you're right. Ctrl-click drag works in the Style window where I tried it, and I assumed it worked in the Layer Settings window too since the regular click-drag trick works there. However, Ctri-click drag does not work in the Layer settings window.

I'm guessing this UI inconsistency is an oversight. Will let the devs know.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

In the Style window, stroke box, I only need to use the scroll wheel on my mouse and the number changes, staying as integers. I don't have to hold a key down.

Hmm, now that I think about it, it would be nice if the number scrolled in .5 increments until 5.

.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10...

When dealing with thin strokes, sometimes .5 makes a huge difference.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

It took using Blender to realize when using the pen and the right mouse button you can scroll the numbers up and down by moving the pen right or left. Only just discovered that recently. I also created a template document with a bunch of the styles I want to use most often.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I see I was a bit hasty about my 'discovery'. I'm going to put in a request for how this should work.