[REQUEST] Visually show Intervals and/or click and drag hold frames?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BigBoiiiJones

[REQUEST] Visually show Intervals and/or click and drag hold frames?

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

Okay so I was wondering if someone would be able to make a script to visually show Intervals. here is a quick mock up I did to show how that could be represented if there is a better way please feel free to do so.

Next for the click and drag hold it can be done in a similar way as a switch layer shown here. Its tedious and kind of annoying to have to right click and open a menu every time to change it. Unless there is another way or a shortcut that I never knew about lol.

EDIT: This last one is not needed... I never knew about the alt hold. <.< I feel stupid for not knowing this tbh lol.

Having one or both of these features as a script can make keyframing holds and or intervals a lot easier and allow better workflow
Last edited by BigBoiiiJones on Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lukas

Re: [REQUEST] Visually show Intervals or click and drag hold frames?

Post by Lukas »

Only scriptable solution I can think of is a script (you could set a shortcut to run it) that would popup a dialog where you can change the interval and hit OK and it would apply that interval to all selected keys. Or just a script that would set it to a certain value without popping a dialog. You could create separate scripts and shortcuts for those. I don't think it's possible to show anything in the timeline unless you use color labels for keys, but that's not really clear. You can leave the 'Keyframe' window open at all times by the way. So you don't have to open and close it each time.
Lukas

Re: [REQUEST] Visually show Intervals and/or click and drag hold frames?

Post by Lukas »

And... I'm not sure if I understand that last part: You can adjust how long a key holds by holding <alt> or <option> and clicking and dragging the left mouse button.
BigBoiiiJones

Re: [REQUEST] Visually show Intervals or click and drag hold frames?

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

Lukas wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:04 am Only scriptable solution I can think of is a script (you could set a shortcut to run it) that would popup a dialog where you can change the interval and hit OK and it would apply that interval to all selected keys. Or just a script that would set it to a certain value without popping a dialog. You could create separate scripts and shortcuts for those. I don't think it's possible to show anything in the timeline unless you use color labels for keys, but that's not really clear. You can leave the 'Keyframe' window open at all times by the way. So you don't have to open and close it each time.
The problem with leaving the window open is the fact that it creates visual/UI clutter. That's the main reason I made these suggestions I know how to change the intervals and such that isn't so much the problem its just some visual representation showing what frames have what intervals without right clicking or opening menus. As for the drag and hold frames like Switch layer frames I'm shocked this isn't a default feature tbh. It allows you to have more control over your inbetweens manually without a interval. I'm hoping some mastermind can work some magic to get one of these working right if not I'll hold out hope for version 14 to address this maybe.
BigBoiiiJones

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

Lukas wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:12 am And... I'm not sure if I understand that last part: You can adjust how long a key holds by holding <alt> or <option> and clicking and dragging the left mouse button.
Well damn I didn't know that. My mind is blown. Thats why I added at the last part "Unless there is another way or a shortcut that I never knew about lol." I did not know this and now I feel stupid and here I've been using Moho since Anime Studio Pro 6 .-.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

BigBoiiiJones wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 amWell damn I didn't know that. My mind is blown. Thats why I added at the last part "Unless there is another way or a shortcut that I never knew about lol." I did not know this and now I feel stupid and here I've been using Moho since Anime Studio Pro 6 .-.
It never hurts to look at the manual if you want to do a specific task, the PDF is under Help in the menu. Moho is pretty well documented. :wink:
Moho Users Manual.pdf wrote:Hold Durations
There are times when you need to hold an object in the same position for a while,
before the animation starts. In cases like this, you can add a hold duration that
keeps the object in place for a set number of frames. Place a keyframe in the first
frame where you want the object to stay still, and then add a hold duration for the
number of additional frames where you want the object to pause.
To directly modify the hold duration for a selected keyframe, hold down the ALT/
OPTION
key while dragging the keyframe in the timeline. A red pill shape will appear
in the frames where the keyframe is held in its set position.
You can also right-click the keyframe in the timeline to display the keyframe context
menu, and then enter a hold duration (in frames) in the Hold Duration dialog.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Much as Lukas said - I think the only indicator you could get is using the keyframe color.

A script could be written to associate a different keyframes' color with its interval. Or simply colored if it is not 1.

How many different intervals do you plan to use in any given animation?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I'm sympathetic to the need to see details of a keyframe. The easiest way is to keep the keyframe window open and simply select the key. But this only gives details of one key.

The OP suggestion of numbers won't work where keyframe types other than smooth are involved -- the "middles" are used to show different interpolation modes; and a standard colour scheme works up to the point that you choose a custom interval greater than 12 (i.e. more than the number of colours) but I guess using one colour for anything that's "custom" (i.e. > 6) would be a workable comprise though.

However, showing an interval in a way that's similar to the "hold" lozenge or the "stagger" option zig-zag could be feasible (but it's not a scripting solution - it's a core product change) e.g. rather than the zig-zag suffix on a stagger key, add a straight line to show the interval??

If this is what's wanted, a formal enhancement request can be raised.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I would be happy if I could just select a range of keyframes and somewhere I could see how many frames are in the selection. (I wish I had this in any animation or compositing program.) :)
BigBoiiiJones

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:18 pm Much as Lukas said - I think the only indicator you could get is using the keyframe color.

A script could be written to associate a different keyframes' color with its interval. Or simply colored if it is not 1.

How many different intervals do you plan to use in any given animation?
I usually hold at most 4 frames at a time for certain background objects. The color idea could work really well. I'd say having different colors for up to 6 intervals would be good and possibly being able to manually control the colors or add some for anything above 6 if possible however if its not possible to have configuration I think having the default 6 that is listed in the menu would be good and doing manual holds for anything longer will be fine. :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pm I would be happy if I could just select a range of keyframes and somewhere I could see how many frames are in the selection. (I wish I had this in any animation or compositing program.) :)
I just learned that After Effects sort of does this. Basically, you Alt-click one keyframe or layer marker, then Alt-click another keyframe or layer marker, and the duration between the two selections appears in Ae's Info box. (Doesn't work with comp markers though, only layer markers.)

It would be useful if Moho had something similar, but I'd like to see an even easier UI for it: Just click or drag select at least two keys or markers, and the duration appears in one of the blank spaces in the upper area of the Timeline. This would save so much time spend counting off frames one at a time, or trying to do the math in my head.

Sorry, I know this is getting a little off topic, just thinking out loud and hoping the devs will hear. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:06 am It would be useful if Moho had something similar, but I'd like to see an even easier UI for it: Just click or drag select at least two keys or markers, and the duration appears in one of the blank spaces in the upper area of the Timeline. This would save so much time spend counting off frames one at a time, or trying to do the math in my head.
That would be fairly easy to script. I'll see if I can fit it in or give you pointers if you want to tackle it yourself.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, yeah!

If you think so, this might be a good project for me to really start learning with. My past ideas failed because I think they were too ambitious for my skill level, which is still very beginner. I don't know where to start yet but I think I should be able to do this one.

And thanks for offering to help with advice! I'm sure I'm going to need it. :)