Option for some tools to work above frame 0

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Option for some tools to work above frame 0

Post by heyvern »

... allow overriding the core tools in the custom content folder which currently is not possible. I have a choice to edit just two lines in the core files or recreate entirely new tools as different tool scripts kept in the custom content folder. Neither option is great. editing the originals is the "easiest" but always gets overwritten in an update and has to be redone. this paragraph is incorrect. Got it working now.

I would like an "easier" way to allow some tools to work above frame 0. A check box for example. For awhile now I've been doing this by hand editing the core tools (but thanks to the above reply I can use custom content). Obviously a "allow above 0" feature should be for Pro only and maybe turned off by default in preferences for double security. For example you check a box in prefs then you also check a box on the tool prefs. This should make sure people won't do something crazy to their files.

-----------

I like to modify some the tools to work on frames past 0 so I can create keyframes or make edits without having to go back to frame 0. What happens is I edit the core tools then an update, or a move to a new machine and I lose all those changes, and forget which tools I modified.

Examples: - These are just a few examples.
Bone Physics tool - the bone physics tool by default won't allow editing above frame 0 but you can still keyframe some of the values like motor speed and direction. I change the tool so it allows creating keys for bone motor speed and direction to create "weird physics based living creatures" that randomly change motor speed and direction with noisy keys. Sometimes I enjoy putting a bunch of these in a maze and watching them "fight" their way through.

Bone strength and Bone Offset
Can't be key framed but you can edit on any frame. This is a cool option allowing you to see the results on any frame and edit quickly without having to bounce back to frame 0 or turning on onion skin.
Last edited by heyvern on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimplSam

Re: Option for some tools to work above frame 0, or...

Post by SimplSam »

heyvern wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:21 pm ... allow overriding the core tools in the custom content folder which currently is not possible. ...
Errr.. Yes it is.

Unless I am very very mistaken. Just drop a copy of the tool in <Custom Folder>/scripts/tool/, edit, reload and job done.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
heyvern

Re: Option for some tools to work above frame 0, or...

Post by heyvern »

Ahhhhhggggggg! never fails. Been fiddling for a couple of hours trying different combos of locations and it never updated or worked.
Now... <sigh> now it's working fine in the custom tools folder. How annoying.
Will edit the original to reflect my workaround. Would still like it to be easier though but at least now it's a wee bit easier.

Thanks dude.
Daxel

Re: Option for some tools to work above frame 0

Post by Daxel »

I always wanted to have this, especially for drawing tools like add points, free hand or remove points, like with FBF layers. I dont see any reason for not having that possibility, and it looks like it is already coded for FBF layers. It would be nice to have those tools and their cursors tinted in some diferent color when they apply over frame 0 but you are on a different frame.

A lot of times I want to draw something taking into account how the animation is going at certain frame, and I have to use the FBF to draw on that frame even if I dont want to animate anything FBF, or even if what I am drawing should be in an already existing layer with drawings in it. So after drawing on the FBF layer I have to copy the drawing paste it on the layer where I wanted to draw it and delete the frame by frame layer. But oh no I want to add a final detail so back to creating the BFB layer...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Edit>Preferences>Tools>Enable drawing tools only on frame 0
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 pm Edit>Preferences>Tools>Enable drawing tools only on frame 0
Well... doesn't work for bone tools sadly. Dang.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel was talking about add points and freehand, both drawing tools.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 pm Edit>Preferences>Tools>Enable drawing tools only on frame 0
:shock:
How didn't I see that before?
Thanks! c: