lock tangents

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

davoodice2

lock tangents

Post by davoodice2 »

hi.
when I assign a point to bone and animate bone ,Neighbor tangents move too. I want lock them. like lock tangent on transform point tool.

and if any solution exists please help me.
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
Greenlaw

Re: lock tangents

Post by Greenlaw »

If any points are being influenced by more than one bone, then it's not using point binding. When you use point binding correctly, the selected points are rigidly 'locked' to the selected bone. I suspect the points are still being influenced by either Flexi-Binding or Use Selected Points For Flexi-Binding.

The easiest way to fix this is to simply reset the layer and start over. To do this, select the layer(s) and select Reset All Bone Rigging--this will reset the binding to the default Flexi-bind, removing any other binding you have applied. Using this command may sound scary but, rest assured, this command only affects the selected layers. (To be clear, you must select the layers you want to reset or Moho will indeed reset all the layers in your rig.) After that, switch to the Bind Points tool and try again.

If you're taking about the Bezier handles, that's different. Point Binding locks down the point positions, not the curvature. IMO, it's best to avoid using Bezier points when the intention is to deform the vector paths using bones or mesh warping. Rigging with regular 'Moho' points is far more predictable for this purpose.

Hope this helps.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Yes, tangents (we use to call them bezier handles) of the two adjacent points of the animated point are affected by default and thats usually great because things deform more naturally.

To understand how bezier lock mode works with the transform point tool, you need to know that the beziers of those two adjacent points won't move when this mode is enabled but bezier keyframes will be created for them in the curvature channel. Moho is automatically animating the beziers of those two points to counteract the default bezier movement caused by the change in position of the moved point. So, it's a litte bit confusing but those beziers (of the adjacent points) require keyframes to not move, and they will automatically move otherwise.

Since point binding is only binding the position property of that point to the bone, moving the bone won't affect the curvature channels so it won't affect the beziers, and like I said they need keyframes to be locked, so what you want is not possible with just point binding.

But you can kind of simulate bezier handles lock mode while moving a point with a bone:

The simplest way is to have in mind that only the bezier handles of those adjacent points will automatically move, so if you don't want that you can "protect them" creating an aditional point between the moving point and the point you don't want to have its beziers moved. That way the moving point will only affect the beziers of the aditional point you just created, and you can place it very close to the protected point to keep the shape you had.

Another way, useful to understand how you take advantage of different ways of moving points with bones, is to use a smarbone along with point binding to correct the changes in the shape that are unwanted.
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Thanks friends.

then Simply bezier handle cant be locked with bone transform tool.

so is it possible to write a script to do that? or technically no.
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It could be scripted, but not something I'm interested in.

You can also isolate a point by welding it to mid-points. You can then delete the trailing points from each weld and they will always act like peaked points.