moho 13.5.1 hates pen display tablets.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: moho 13.5.1 hates pen display tablets.

Post by Daxel »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 am
  • Modifier keys (w/ Key Delay previously adjusted):
    - long-press <key> + any pen action: Works and performance as expected
    - <none>|alt|shift|ctrl + right-click pen: All work as expected
That's strange. So the Shift+right-click to zoom in and out and the Ctrl+Right-Click to rotate view is working fine there? Do they work without the key delay previously adjusted?
You seem to have the same things I have, just another tablet. But my tablet doesn't have that problem on Moho 12.5. So it is possible that Moho 13.5 introduced a bug that only affects some pen tablets?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Just some wild guesses here, but you might check a couple of Preference settings. General>Enable touch support or Tools>Zoom with drag box.
Just trying to eliminate potential setting differences between 12.5 and 13.5 that could be related.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:46 pm Just some wild guesses here, but you might check a couple of Preference settings...
I tried a bunch of like-for-like settings with Moho 12.5, but nothing helped.

Also I went back to a fast Repeat Rate, and the Select<g>-drag was horrendously slow, but the Shift/Ctrl-RightPenButton Zoom/Rotate still worked OK.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 pm Also I went back to a fast Repeat Rate, and the Select<g>-drag was horrendously slow, but the Shift/Ctrl-RightPenButton Zoom/Rotate still worked OK.
Yeah, repeat rate shouldn't affect modifier keys.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:46 pm Just some wild guesses here, but you might check a couple of Preference settings. General>Enable touch support or Tools>Zoom with drag box.
Just trying to eliminate potential setting differences between 12.5 and 13.5 that could be related.
Same settings on both, touch support was enabled and zoom with drag box disabled. I tried changing one and the other just in case but touch support didn't do anything (as expected because my graphic tablet doesn't support it) and I don't really know what is the "Zoom with drag box" option but, once enabled, if I shift+right-click it just zooms in a lot suddenly.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Today I saw that I can't open de menus (File, Edit, etc) left-clicking on them with the pen on Moho 13.5.1 with windows ink enabled. I can only do it right-clicking. Restarted Moho but the problem persists. Disabling windows ink solves the problem at the price of not having pressure sensitivity.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Another pen tablet and windows ink related bug: using freehand or add point tool with the pen, 99% of my strokes get an extra point added to the beggining of the stroke, sometimes as an independent point and sometimes as part of the main stroke.
Only on Moho 13.5.1, and only with windows ink enabled.
I disabled de autokey fix just to be sure, but it is not related. I restarted the computer but the problem persists.

As I don't see any workarround this time, at this point I can't use my graphic tablet to work on Moho 13.5.1.
CandyCoated

Post by CandyCoated »

13.5.2 seems to still have problems with tablets. Using Add Point tool is not working proberly. It is adding extra points and also doesn't allow you to position the point, rather instead it is drawing a line. Disabling Windows Ink is a workaround, but at the cost of losing pressure
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...I'll check this over the weekend; I have a Wacom and Huion I can test with.

I don't think I ran into any problems during testing but, TBH, I haven't used a tablet with Moho much lately, mostly mouse and trackball. Will let you know how it goes.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Yes I can confirm I'm still having the same problems when windows ink is enabled (otherwise pressure sensitivity doesn't work):
The zoom shortcut (shift-rightclick and drag) and the rotate view shortcut (ctrl-rightclick and drag) not working correctly.
The extra non vinculated points at the beggining of the strokes, with freehand tool and also add points tool...
The menu buttons not responding is harder to test because it happened from time to time so I don't know how to reproduce it and with the other bugs it is pretty much unusable on my tablet so I won't be using it.

We really need a focus on the drawing experience overall (tablets, fix stroke bumps, better freehand etc). Moho best selling point is that it has the most efficient animation workflow on the market, you can animate something in an afternoon that could have taken 15 days with other programs. But at the same time it slows our production process so much forcing us to draw in other programs and going back and forth when it actually has all the necesary vector drawing tools and all it needs is a little bit of polishing to be usable.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Daxel wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:07 pm We really need a focus on the drawing experience overall (tablets, fix stroke bumps, better freehand etc)...all it needs is a little bit of polishing to be usable.
I agree, this is one of the reasons I don't rely on my tablet for Moho like I do with other programs.

Back when I had a tablet computer, it made sense to use the stylus with Moho all the time, but now that I only use a desktop and a laptop computer, I mainly use a mouse or trackball with Moho. It's not that I no longer have a tablet available (we have multiple tablets here,) but there's simply not much reason to use one with Moho.

If the Freehand tool worked better in Moho, I would definitely use it to draw more vector art inside Moho and I would also be encouraged to use Moho's FBF more routinely. And, whenever we get bitmap tools again, I would be ready for that too.

(That said, for deforming character vector art, I would still be using Moho's 'click And drag' method for obvious reasons.)
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:13 pm
If the Freehand tool worked better in Moho, I would definitely use it to draw more vector art inside Moho and I would also be encouraged to use Moho's FBF more routinely. And, whenever we get bitmap tools again, I would be ready for that too.

(That said, for deforming character vector art, I would still be using Moho's 'click And drag' method for obvious reasons.)
Exactly. I'm in love with the unique point animation and the smartbones. Moho provides the best tools for not having to draw each frame manually, and that's a huge time saver but each time you actually need to draw one or two frames for a specific complex movement, you have to go to another program, and matching colors and stroke styles so nobody notice the change, match the composition, scaling, a lot of possible annoyances. and we have those awesome vitruvian bones that could be much more useful for complex movements if we could actually comfortably draw those extra limbs on the go. A lot of potential to be exploted and I feel like some users end making less dynamic scenes because they try to stick to their rigs avoiding extra drawings as much as they can.