make bone non keyable

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

davoodice2

make bone non keyable

Post by davoodice2 »

Hello
some bone in rig is used for special purposes and we do not want animate theme.It would be great if there was an option to make the bones non keyable(less keys , lighter scene.)
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
synthsin75

Re: make bone non keyable

Post by synthsin75 »

A custom script/tool could do that, but I can't think of any use I'd have for it.
Is there any reason hiding those bones won't work?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, hiding the bones should work--if you don't seem them, they can't be keyframed.

If they are bones you need to reveal from time to time, you can use Shy Bones instead. Shy Bones are useful because their visibility can be toggled without affecting bones that are explicitly set to Hide. In MQC, there is a Show Shy button so I can easily reveal and hide Shy bones with a click of a button. (I use this technique for bones I don't want the animator to be keyframing because it can mess up the rig.)
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Freeze keys sets key for all shy and hide bones. I must use freeze visible that is not good way.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Since it's so indiscriminate, I'm not sure why people would want to use auto-freeze keys regularly.
That's what the other freeze commands are for. Add a shortcut to make it handier.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

davoodice2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:18 am ... some bone in rig is used for special purposes and we do not want animate them ...
Does bone Lock not help with this?

[edit] No. Still creates keyframes.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

davoodice2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 pm Freeze keys sets key for all shy and hide bones. I must use freeze visible that is not good way.
Personally, I modified the shortcuts so Ctrl+F is used for Freeze visible bones only. That way I can use the shortcut freely and hidden bones never get new keys.
Now, for cleaning the timeline, please try this script made by Alexandra Evseeva:
http://mohoscripts.com/script/ae_keytools
This tool -among many features- has a 'Clean' option that removes every useless keyframe from all the layers in a selected group/bone.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 am ... This tool -among many features- has a 'Clean' option that removes every useless keyframe from all the layers in a selected group/bone ...
Which normally equates to about every keyframe in my animations !!! :P
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 am
davoodice2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 pm Freeze keys sets key for all shy and hide bones. I must use freeze visible that is not good way.
Personally, I modified the shortcuts so Ctrl+F is used for Freeze visible bones only. That way I can use the shortcut freely and hidden bones never get new keys.
Now, for cleaning the timeline, please try this script made by Alexandra Evseeva:
This tool -among many features- has a 'Clean' option that removes every useless keyframe from all the layers in a selected group/bone.
good tools if some body can combine it with transform bone tool.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I'm still not wholly clear why you'd want non-keyable as distinct from "can't be animated" but if the goal is to keep a bone visible and to lock its position, scale and rotation:

all the bones that you don't want to key can be set to be controlled by a hidden, lone "anchor bone": that is, in bone constraints set the "un-keyable" bone to have the "anchor bone" as the control bone for its position, scale and rotation. This alone won't prevent you from grabbing an "un-keyable" bone and making keyframes for it, but it does keep it visible and prevent it from being animated. Also, "freeze pose" will key all the bones but, as has been pointed out, these superfluous keys can be removed by Alexandra's keytools script.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

davoodice2 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:36 pm good tools if some body can combine it with transform bone tool.
Like I said, "A custom script/tool could do that, but I can't think of any use I'd have for it."
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 am
how to report bugs og this script?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

davoodice2 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:20 pm

how to report bugs og this script?
best to contact the author - A.Evseeva - setting out as clearly as you can what you think is not working properly.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I believe more constraints to prevent unwanted bone keys in various channels are greatly needed.
These constraint additions would prevent keys being laid in bone channels that are unwanted.

Each bone would have all channels active by default and no constraint.

Uncheck the channel ( or all) then no key would be placed at all.
Check a constraint and that could constrain both angle and translations to the entered value.

To me this looks like an easy addition with really advantageous results for animators.