Adjusting Panels

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pihms

Adjusting Panels

Post by pihms »

Not sure, if this is a problem for some computers, just a trial software thing, a bug, or a settings thing. I'm demonstrating Moho to a school with the trial version. They are using a single screen, so not much room to move the different panels around by detaching them. Currently, trying to move and expand the timeline on their computers is not possible. The timeline doesn't show much as well as the layers panel for them to really access what they need to see and work with. It stays stuck in the position. As with the green arrows is the location that I'm talking about.

The screen shot is from my computer, which doesn't have the problem. Just imagine much less room on the timeline and maybe half a layer showing on the layers panel.
Is there a fix for this?
synthsin75

Re: Adjusting Panels

Post by synthsin75 »

We probably need to know more about the problem computer, like resolution, etc., unless someone can happen to replicate the problem on their own.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Good point. I'll be able to get back to you on that in a couple of days when I can get back to that computer.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

The only way I got it to behave as described was to scrunch the screen up, where the movement of the timeline divider was blocked by the Tools panel.

When I undocked the Tools panel ([Window] > [Docking] > [Tools]) - full mobility returned.

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
pihms

Post by pihms »

That could be it, and most likely the problem. I'll try that tomorrow, when I can get back to the computer, and detach the Tools panel.

Thanks!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, yeah, that's likely it. I ran into the same problem after I added more tools to my Tools window. I normally keep my Tools window undocked so I can move it closer to where I'm working (this more important on a big screen,) but freeing up the Timeline's vertical height is another good reason to undock the Tools window. (I only had it docked this time because it was shortly after a clean install of Moho 13.5.)

Alternatively, you can undock the Timeline and size it however you like, but this won't help if you have limited screen space to begin with.

My preference is to undock everything except the Timeline and Layers window, and close any window I'm not immediately using. For me, this keeps Moho uncluttered and easier to use. (My preferences for optimizing the Moho UI with explanations can be seen in this video: Better Default Settings For Moho Pro

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri May 07, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SimplSam wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:04 am ...the movement of the timeline divider was blocked by the Tools panel.
I thought of that, but assumed the screenshot was an accurate depiction of the problem. I'm sure that's the problem.
pihms

Post by pihms »

The Tool Panel seems to be the problem. We detached it and the layers panel, now everything works.
Thanks for the help!
Wesleysales3d

Post by Wesleysales3d »

I am learning about Moho now, and not having the freedom to adjust the size of the panels or to unlock them directly from their title bar, an unnecessary UI problem.

For example, I can't resize the layers panel to take up more vertical space because the styles panel won't let me.

Is there any way to change this behavior (even via code?)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wesleysales3d wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 am For example, I can't resize the layers panel to take up more vertical space because the styles panel won't let me.

Is there any way to change this behavior (even via code?)
Uncheck Advanced in the style window and select "None" for the swatches.
I am learning about Moho now, and not having the freedom to adjust the size of the panels or to unlock them directly from their title bar, an unnecessary UI problem.
Window>Docking

You might try asking how to do something before complaining that it can't be done.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Wesleysales3d wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 am I am learning about Moho...is there any way to change this behavior (even via code?)
Hi,

Here are some useful tips on customizing the UI...

Better Default Settings For Moho Pro
Wesleysales3d

Post by Wesleysales3d »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:41 am Uncheck Advanced in the style window and select "None" for the swatches.
Thank you again for your help, synthsin75! Means a lot.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I knew about the Window> Docking menu.

What I meant is that I would like to move the panels more freely if possible (as in Photoshop).

If there was any option to change that behavior (via Preferences or code) it would be wonderful.
Greenlaw wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:17 am Here are some useful tips on customizing the UI...
Better Default Settings For Moho Pro
Great video. I just saw it and configured several things in my interface. Thanks also!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wesleysales3d wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:31 am What I meant is that I would like to move the panels more freely if possible (as in Photoshop).
Adobe is a huge company with many more developers than Moho has ever had. If you want to pay as much for Moho as people do for Adobe software, I'm sure you could get many more such niceties.
Just the reality, I'm afraid.
Wesleysales3d

Post by Wesleysales3d »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:42 am Adobe is a huge company with many more developers than Moho has ever had. If you want to pay as much for Moho as people do for Adobe software, I'm sure you could get many more such niceties.
Just the reality, I'm afraid.
Sorry if you were angry, it was not the intention, synthsin75. I would even like to thank you for all your willingness to help for all these years, for what I saw.

I love what I've seen from Moho and I just bought a license, precisely with the intention of helping, adding it to my workflow and immersing myself more and more in the program.

I am learning about it little by little and some things like not being able to move some panels seem a little strange, since it is common in several other programs that I use.

But without any problems, I believe that Moho will improve more and more and these little things will be added little by little.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wesleysales3d wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 am Sorry if you were angry,
Not at all. Just putting things in perspective. If Moho charged $250 every year (that you would have to pay to access your files, and have no upgrade discounts), to ensure a revenue stream, I'm sure they could afford enough developers to have many of the same bells and whistles as Photoshop.