Switch Layers in actions don't render out with motion blur

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GHOSTYMPA

Switch Layers in actions don't render out with motion blur

Post by GHOSTYMPA »

I somehow found this really odd bug that still is there in Moho 13.5. Basically, if there is a smart dial that changes switch layers, it does not render the switch if the bone layer has motion blur enabled.
https://youtube.com/ghostympa
i make youtube videos with animations in them
Greenlaw

Re: Switch Layers in actions don't render out with motion blur

Post by Greenlaw »

Normally, you wouldn't enable Motion Blur on a bone layer because there is nothing renderable in that layer.

That said, that's really odd. I would think that enabling it in that layer shouldn't affect other layers. Will check it out here in a minute.
Greenlaw

Re: Switch Layers in actions don't render out with motion blur

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok I'm back...and I take it back, enabling Motion Blur on the bones layer does affect other layers.

However, here I'm seeing motion blur properly applied to the artwork parented to the bones in my test.

My test setup:

1. Created a simple hanging 'arm' using two bones.
2. Layer bind a Switch layer to the lower bone, two drawings in the switch, a circle and square.
3. Animated arm swinging, and the Switch switching.
4. Enabled motion blur on Bones layer

The rendered result was the switch layer swinging and motion blur on the visible artwork.

TBH, I was expecting to see the switch items but with no motion blur applied. I mistakenly thought Motion Blur had to be enabled on the artwork layers, not the bones layer. Learn something new everyday I guess. :)

I don't normally use motion blur on my Moho animations, but when I do, I prefer to apply it as a post effect in After Effects or Fusion. To me, it's faster, cleaner and is more tweakable this way. In Ae, I use the native Pixel Motion Blur effect or the commercial RSMB effect...they work similarly but can produce different results. (More specifically, they can generate different artifacts.)

In a future version of Moho, I'd like to see Moho have the option to output a motion vector channel. (Plus offer EXR as an output format so we can embed special channel data like this.)