What is the future of Moho?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sang820

What is the future of Moho?

Post by sang820 »

I have used Moho for 20 years.

I love Moho more than anything.

The young people around me are learning [Ae], [live2D], [An], but few people are learning Moho.

Times have changed, but Moho has not changed.This may be a good thing or a bad thing. But, Moho users are getting older.

Moho must change,Before she gets old.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A【Beautiful example】
B【Simple structure example】
C【Improve video tracking】
D【Game interaction interface】

Meet the above four points, Moho will have a better future. A younger future.

A-Moho’s sample files are ugly art. The sample files of Live2D are beautiful.My young friends all like beautiful examples, which makes them interested in learning about software. Live2D is very successful in this regard.I like Moho's ugly example because I am 40 years old :shock:

B-The moho sample file is a beginner killer. Because they are complicated and limited.I often have to advise beginners: learn the functions and read the user manual. Modeling logic, don't look at the sample files. It will kill you!

C-Moho needs motion data carried by video tracking. The current video tracking is terrible. Tracking points often fail to identify video, and bones often fail to identify tracking points.Moho can fully develop [virtual anchor] related functions, which will allow more young people to join Moho.HBV is far from enough.

D-[Moho can't export game files] In the past 10 years, more than 100 Moho beginners I know quit Moho learning for this reason.Moho's FBX file is like a poor orphan, unable to join the game production field.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

我很孤独,我害怕继续孤独下去。

过去20年,很多有才华的年轻人离开Moho学习。

我知道Moho很强大,我很谦卑,但年轻的世界不这么想。

麦克,加油~~期待你的更新=3
jahnocli

Re: What is the future of Moho?

Post by jahnocli »

Harsh but fair.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Whooooo !!!

Sadly - the product has been with SM for the last 13+ years, and as we know development all but ground to a halt in the last few years.

Having said that - Moho has been ahead of the Game in many respects, and some other apps are still playing catch-up, and merely flashing their frilly under-garments to attract attention.

I do agree:
- The Character Wizard needs a serious kick up the @@@@
- The sample projects, whilst they look great - are not teaching files, and are not particularly re-useable - until you know what you are doing and can use them for reference
- Import/Export and 3rd party integration features need some love

The Good News of course is the Cool Gang are back in town and 'we' naturally have high confidence in their ability to turn things around for the better.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
chucky

Post by chucky »

I'm sure Moho will mature Sang.
Maybe now with Lost marble in charge, more resources could go toward samples, but I hope it's sample styles don't ever look Live 2d, which lack imagination, style and creativity.
Your point about having some really simple samples as well as more advanced ones is a good one though, I'm sure they belong with ' Debut' rather than pro though.
Dolphin2011

Post by Dolphin2011 »

I have been using Moho for long time too. I have bought every updates from Anime Studio Pro 5 afterwards. I love it. And Sang, I knew your Chinese name: 施阳. There was a website always posted your translations of user guide and your tutorials , but it’s gone long time ago. I wish you happy new year and make more beautiful animations .

施阳老师:
恭喜发财,牛年大吉!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'd never seen Live2D Cubism before, it looks very interesting. If I didn't feel optimistic about Moho's future development, I would definitely be taking a closer look at it.

I agree that some of Moho's older content should be purged. It might have been fine many years ago, but nowadays it's not helping to convince new professional or hobbyist users to start using Moho.

Moho content created in recent years looks very professional, but it could use more diversity in styles. It would be good to see even more examples that look like studio productions and fewer that look like hobby projects. By saying this, I'm not at trying to discourage hobbyist animators from Moho--I actually consider myself a hobbyist who just happens to animate with Moho for a living. But I would like to see more work included with Moho to inspire as well as teach. Also, there are many cool tricks and techniques used by professional Moho animators that aren't covered in the documentation, and are probably better taught through example project files.

I also agree that Moho is ahead of the pack in many areas (notably, they way it uses vector art with Smart Bone Actions, its IK system, and ability to work in many design and animation styles,) but other programs are actively trying to catch up. It's a shame that Smith-Micro couldn't visualize Moho on a bigger stage, but I think Mike and Victor are able to dream bigger dreams for it, and make that happen.

(BTW, I'd be happy to contribute some new original content for a future version of Moho, including demo project files. We can discuss that offline.) 😺
chucky

Post by chucky »

I agree that some of Moho's older content should be purged
I totally agree Dennis,
Simple stuff like content in the ' wizard' the scatter brush, library assets, should be scrubbed clean of all but the most iconic old stuff.... I think we should definitely keep Lenny ( for example).
At least we know the website will have to be brand new, soon enough , I figure we'll see one without all that ancient free content.

The wizard is certainly something that could be useful for real beginners, if it had some carefully crafted art in there.
Sang, you are right.
Now is the time to change gear and put V13 and the Smith Micro way of doing things in the rear mirror.

Hey think about it though, Blender was in the doldrums for two decades and then over the last year became a huge and phenomenal success.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I agree with the gaming features the most.

The gaming industry is one of the fastest growing in recent years. Moho rigging capabilities could easily make it the best animation tool for 2D games, but it looks like nobody knows it. Instead, Spine for example is very popular in that industry and it only has a few of the Moho rigging features (basically bones and meshes) but it can be integrated into the most popular game engines, and be controlled by code. And obviously it is marketed like atractive and useful for gaming.

This video explains it (the engines integration part starts at 2:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTkImAOJKM
sang820

Post by sang820 »

chucky wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:12 pm I'm sure Moho will mature Sang.
Maybe now with Lost marble in charge, more resources could go toward samples, but I hope it's sample styles don't ever look Live 2d, which lack imagination, style and creativity.
Your point about having some really simple samples as well as more advanced ones is a good one though, I'm sure they belong with ' Debut' rather than pro though.
Live2D's [Skin] is very beautiful. A beautiful skin can attract beginners to learn more about the software. Live2D and Moho have a similar dilemma-2D & 3D blur the boundaries. L2D only has pixels and grids. Moho has sophisticated vector models. Moho has more possibilities. However, Moho needs a [beautiful skin] to attract young users.

Young people = more possibilities.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

Dolphin2011 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:15 pm I have been using Moho for long time too. I have bought every updates from Anime Studio Pro 5 afterwards. I love it. And Sang, I knew your Chinese name: 施阳. There was a website always posted your translations of user guide and your tutorials , but it’s gone long time ago. I wish you happy new year and make more beautiful animations .

施阳老师:
恭喜发财,牛年大吉!
:shock: 喔,谢谢~~~你可以看我的youtube频道,祝你一切顺心=3
sang820

Post by sang820 »

This is a great animation. The audience thinks [TBH] is great.It becomes [TBH] excellent publicity.

A beautiful skin.

In fact, under this skin, there is a frame-by-frame animation,Great art, great director, great operation, No technological innovation.

Moho will do better.

Moho only lacks a beautiful skin.(There are also video tracking, game interface, easy-to-understand examples)
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: 这是几年前的技术展示。现在应该更成熟了吧?如果Moho可以增加这个视频追踪模块,那是非常伟大的 :shock:
chucky

Post by chucky »

Did this in Moho about 12 years ago Sang with no extra scripts.
Then I made a ( cheap) music video with the technique

Jut use the video tracking feature and attach unchained bones from point to point.
Thanks to Mike Clifton for pointing out that the bones should be unchained.
I did get an excellent script later that reduces keyframes.

The tracking could be a little better, who knows , one day it might happen.
Essentially though Sang, I'm in complete agreement with you... performance capture could be great for a lot of tasks..
sang820

Post by sang820 »

chucky wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:57 am Did this in Moho about 12 years ago Sang with no extra scripts.
Then I made a ( cheap) music video with the technique

Jut use the video tracking feature and attach unchained bones from point to point.
Thanks to Mike Clifton for pointing out that the bones should be unchained.
I did get an excellent script later that reduces keyframes.

The tracking could be a little better, who knows , one day it might happen.
Essentially though Sang, I'm in complete agreement with you... performance capture could be great for a lot of tasks..

:shock: 我知道Moho有视频追踪,但这个功能有严重的BUG~!无法在项目里正常使用。我也曾制作视频向SM求助,但是没有回应。 :shock:
chucky

Post by chucky »

Oh wow Sang, you really did get into it, bravo!
I couldn't quite understand what was happening in the bug.

I would love to see some improvement of the performance capture capabilities too.
Maybe one day.