Vintage Moho collectible

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Vintage Moho collectible

Post by Lost Marble »

Here's a vintage Moho collector's item from the last century. Moho was first developed for BeOS (at the time a new operating system created as an alternative to Windows and Mac). I sold it online mostly, but I did produce some physical CDs to sell at trade shows and to share with members of the press. Notice the copyright - 1999! Lenny is like 22 years old!

We were looking at some old product boxes, thinking about where we want to go with the branding, and I came across this relic:

ulrik

Re: Vintage Moho collectible

Post by ulrik »

Haha... :D Great to see!
DK

Post by DK »

I believe I have one one similar V2 :)

Cheers
D.K
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Cool! Thanks for sharing this bit of Moho history Mike.

The earliest version I still have online is the 'pre-SM' Moho 5.4. I'm pretty sure I purchased at least two earlier releases (1.x and 2.x?) and I probably have those on a Zip or Jaz disk somewhere. Good times! :P

I didn't start using Moho seriously till version 9, when Smart Bones was announced, and that was a game changer for me. Before that, I think I was just collecting Moho releases like Pokemon cards.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

How strange. The other day I came across some dude reviewing BeOS and comparing to modern Haiku. In the process of doing so - he launches Moho for a few seconds @ 07:14

https://youtu.be/xLIlTnEkDRg?t=434 (this link jumps straight to the Moho bit @ 07:14)
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
chucky

Post by chucky »

Wow... getting archaeological!
Mohosaurus
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just had a look. The oldest Moho files I could find were from 2005. 2006 I bought my Cintiq and did my first Moho job, which unfortunately turned out to be the first client who didn't pay. 2007 I animated the first episode for a studio in Moho ("Me, myself and the others"). So my Cintiq is 14 yrs old now and still works.

At that time I saw BeOS on a friend's Amiga who ran a linetester software from Belgium on it.

Hm, some of these old Moho files still look useful ... digs deeper
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

Re: Branding

I like the "animation mojo" tag line there, and the old logo, too. Moho as a name has good appeal, and has some legacy to it after so many years.

How did the MOHO name come about? I never liked the "Anime Studio" name, and was one of those who sort of skipped over the software at first because of the Anime confusion. My loss. I do think there is some value in the "studio" part of it... this software package is very complete and is a studio of sorts. Maybe Moho Studio?

I also use Dragonframe... and I like that they get "frame" into their name. I think it helps with branding to get some reference to animation or film into an animation software packages's name. Sort of similar to Photoshop was a better name, imho, than Illustrator (which should have mentioned vectors or precision in there).

If it helps, when I think of Moho I think of words like professional, 2-D, flexible, complete, powerful, advanced, deep, amazing math handling zillions of points and attributes, motion, control, characters, backgrounds, cameras....
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

cgrotke wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm How did the MOHO name come about?
If I remember correctly, Mike said he just flipped open a dictionary/book and used the first cool sounding word he found.

EDIT: Found it.
Why the name "Moho"?

Software names are difficult. Moho doesn't really mean anything as far as the product goes - it's just a name. It started out as a random search through a dictionary, looking for words that felt like software names. Moho doesn't have a very serious "ring" to it, and the product is meant to be a fun thing to use.
http://www.bedope.com/int/int09mc.html
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Yep, that's basically the story. I simplified it to "dictionary" but it was actually my girlfriend (now wife's) geology textbook. "Moho" is short for the Mohorovičić discontinuity, the boundary between the Earth's crust and mantle.

Víctor and I were curious if Moho 1 would still run on the Haiku OS. We're a little busy to try it out right now, but maybe when we get into a lull...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Lost Marble wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:25 pm ...maybe when we get into a lull...
What's a 'lull'? :P
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Lost Marble wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:25 pm Víctor and I were curious if Moho 1 would still run on the Haiku OS. We're a little busy to try it out right now, but maybe when we get into a lull...
According to this thread: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11974, they got 2.5 up and running on Haiku - but were having issues with the render (last updated 6 months ago)
Moho is rendering but it seems it cannot save or does not find its path to ffmpeg or save path... no idea how to correct this problem since it is only the binary available. All functions in Moho 2.5 working very well and since it is a native BeOs programm it is very fast and multithreaded. Would be nice if someone could find a solution...
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I ran Moho 2 (or maybe 3?) in Haiku some time ago:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Greenlaw wrote:What's a 'lull'? :P
Ask a Dutchman
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
gilcartunista

Post by gilcartunista »

This is the cleanest and most organized interface! you know exactly where you are. I sincerely hope that you can return to it; because the "0" table is very complicated for those who start .... By the way I have a demo of version 2.