Moho 13 Pro and OsX 11 (Big Sur)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BLmo_ho

Re: Moho 13 Pro and OsX 11 (Big Sur)

Post by BLmo_ho »

Thank you sir/madam.

Now let’s go create memorable animation with Moho.

I’m out ✌🏻

Have a great day
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 am No one should just assume all software will work with any new OS, and it really shouldn't take an announcement to inform people of this possibility.
While technically you're correct, there's also a reason why Apple is putting out developer previews way ahead of time and public betas. Every decent developer I know always has updates ready even for major OS upgrades ahead of the new OS launch. Affinity does it, Flying Meat does it, Rogue Amoeba does it, Pixelmator does it, lots of smaller utility developers do it, and naturally Apple does it. Only Adobe – those asshats with all the devs and resources they've got at hand – never ever bother to get fixes out in time for any new OS launch, another reason why I don't use their crappy software anymore.

Lost Marble LLC, my tip for the future (once you get on top of the spaghetti source code that undoubtedly Smith Micro left behind):

Don't be that guy (cough, cough, Adobe, cough) – be the cool small developer who's got their stuff together and gets fixes out the door before they're even needed 8)
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

Exactly what you said ...

And to add ... I have seen updates happen before leaving an app unusable but in my experience the developers got an update out quickly.

In this case however, Big Sur came out in November and Moho’s change of ownership was announced close to that. So unless I am mistaken, the change of hands and probably the resulting loss of continued resources is what has contributed to this situation.

The good thing is, there is a workaround that doesn’t require you to restore your machine to an older backup or wait approximately 3 months.

I’m personally looking forward to what Lost Marble comes up with as well as what us creators churn out.

Cheers to progress,

B
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

arglborps wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 am No one should just assume all software will work with any new OS, and it really shouldn't take an announcement to inform people of this possibility.
While technically you're correct, there's also a reason why Apple is putting out developer previews way ahead of time and public betas. Every decent developer I know always has updates ready even for major OS upgrades ahead of the new OS launch.
The problem here is that Smith Micro quit developing Moho a long time before they sold it...maybe up to a year. Developer previews only help get ahead of a new OS if there is development going on. So the timing was just bad luck, not being developed when a new OS comes out.

People can either accept that unfortunate fact or they can't.
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

You are correct ...

I’d add that a way forward must always be found and luckily lostmarble hasn’t lost its marbles 😏

We will all likely benefit from this period of new development. As I take it from what you just said, improvements were probably due /overdue anyway. We the users stand to benefit.

Cheers and Happy Friday,

B
VictWorm

Post by VictWorm »

I'm a Macbook Air User. My Moho 13 doesn't work on the latest update in Big Sur (portuguese version, few days before). Black screen or strange random pixels only in the preview window.
Tried install 12.5 nd 12.3. I'm getting "This software needs to be updated. contact the manufacturer" on 12.5 &12.3 installation with the latest update in Big Sur.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

For Moho 12.5.1, you need to use the FINAL installer from here...

https://my.smithmicro.com/forum.html

Click on Moho 12 to see the link.

For Moho 13.x, you need to wait for the 13.5 update coming soon from Lost Marble.