Moho 13 Pro and OsX 11 (Big Sur)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BLmo_ho

Moho 13 Pro and OsX 11 (Big Sur)

Post by BLmo_ho »

Good Afternoon,

I recently sent the following questions to Smith Micro and was told that I should reach out to Lost Marble, the new owners of Moho.

My questions are as follows:

Are there any plans to update Moho 13 Pro so it can work in big Sur? About a month ago it was disclosed that at that time the red screen issue was known and that there was no additional information available. Does that mean that Big Sur users are simply out of luck?

Should we freeze our computers at OSX 10 in order to use Moho or is a solution being worked on?

If no solution is available can we get a refund on Moho 13 or at least credit towards the next program that will be released that will work on Big Sur?

Currently this is the only program on my machine that has had any issue after I upgraded to Big Sur. It would be really inconvenient for users like myself to have to freeze our computers or create frozen partitions due to issues with one program.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Beauclaire
synthsin75

Re: Moho 13 Pro and OsX 11 (Big Sur)

Post by synthsin75 »

Your best bet is to stick with an OS Moho 13 says it supports: https://www.mohoanimation.com/moho-pro- ... ents.shtml
And the new owners are not likely to make up for failings of the last owner.
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

Yeah that is one way to look at it.

Another way, which I hope the new owners will agree with, is to simply update Moho since OSX is going to always move forward. For all we know there is a simple tweak/ update that can be made to keep Moho compatible.

Of all the dozens of applications on my computer this is the only one that has failed to work after the update. I am sure it’s an easy fix for their programmers.

Failing that I can always go back to OSx 10 from
A backup but that is not my preferred action. It also should not be the action expected of users. Forward should be the expected action. Forward with momentum.

I am hopeful that the new owners agree.

B
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

All software gives you OS compatibilities, and ultimately it's the user's responsibility to find out if an OS upgrade is going to be a problem. And early adopters to any new OS should be aware that it's not going to go off without a hitch.

I would seriously doubt that it's a simple tweak, as Apple seems to have made significant changes. And you can't expect a new startup company, without a portfolio of other profitable software, to be able to afford much development on free updates. That's just being realistic. I'm sure dozens of other applications haven't just been purchased by a brand new company. It's just bad timing between a significant Apple upgrade and Moho changing hands.

So the only recourse for the near future is likely reverting to a previous OS.

The new owners likely have some hard decisions to make to ensure that their new company stays afloat long enough to get you new Moho updates. I hope you agree that the long-term future of Moho is more important than an update for a single OS.
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

Do you specifically work for or are a part of the lost marble company?

I ask because I would like to see the position taken by the company. My chosen course of action will depend on what lost marble decides to do. Hopefully they make the right business decision.

B
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Nope, not part of the company.

And I agree. I hope they make the right business decision...even if not one you like.
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

Let’s see what solutions lost marble suggest for 2021. That’s really why I’m here.

For the official solutions they recommend.

Cheers.

B
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

Greetings to anyone watching,

Refresher: I bought Moho 13 Pro close to the beginning of 2020 and was running Mac OsX 10.15.7 Catalina at the time. Moho 13 Pro worked perfectly for me until I upgraded to OsX 11.1 Big Sur. So far Moho 13 is the only application I have that has adversely performed on Big Sur (my workspace is always red).

I see that there was an announcement about the incompatibility between the two, but I probably didn't see it. Add to this the fact that the owners of Moho changed recently, I wasn't sure whether or not I should wait to see if the new owners will release an update that allows it to run on Big Sur.

I was tempted to put my machine back on Catalina but that didn't seem to make much sense to me since all my other apps work fine on the new platform. What I did instead is to get a $50 1TB external hard drive and scour the net for how to set it up as a bootable drive. I then put a clean install of Catalina on it and will boot from it just to run Moho 13 Pro. I tested the install and Moho on that drive and so far all appears well.

I still hope that Moho Pro 13 will get an upgrade under the new ownership, at the very least so that it will be future compatible with OsX ... but I am all about solutions and wanted to share this in case anyone else currently or in the future could benefit from my experience.

If you ended up with the big Sur Red or Black workspace but want to continue getting work done, what I described above is a solution. It will be at the cost of a thumb drive, an external drive, some research and some time but it will be well worth it if you do not wish to "freeze" your computer for the sake of one application.

If you need specifics on the steps I took, simply reply and I will gather the info and post.

Hope everyone is out there being creative.

Cheers,

B
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No one should just assume all software will work with any new OS, and it really shouldn't take an announcement to inform people of this possibility. That so much software worked with a new OS is more luck than anything else. Any software between development cycles when I new OS is released are likely to have problems...even if just bugs in the new OS. Personally, I never upgrade to a new OS until the first or second service pack. Being an early adopter can have its consequences.

Lost Marble has said an update for v13 is likely around March.
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

I came here for solutions, not a sermon ...

The point I made is that there is a problem, here is a solution. I joined this forum for that ... “a solution.”

Not sure where Lost Marble made their announcement about updating in March but

1. I didn’t see it
2. Time is money and in these days also life. A lot is taking place.

I thus don’t have time to wait and didn’t want to go backwards to Catalina.

I still see no point in someone having to hold off on updating their machine because one single app is not yet compatible but that doesn’t mean the developers are at fault. My situation was simply one that necessitated a fix. I found one and shared it ... in hopes that if someone else needs it they can find it here.

It is simply is a route, be it permanent or temporary, that is available to anyone who doesn’t want to wait until March.

Let’s park our soap boxes and do more problem solving.

Cheers

B
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, BLmo_ho.
Please check the announcement with the our plan here.
If you have any question or need help, please send me a direct message and I'll do my best to find a solution.
Thanks
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

Thank You Sir. I really appreciate you drawing my attention to this.

Cheers,

B
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

BLmo_ho wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm I came here for solutions, not a sermon ...

The point I made is that there is a problem, here is a solution. I joined this forum for that ... “a solution.”

Not sure where Lost Marble made their announcement about updating in March but

1. I didn’t see it
2. Time is money and in these days also life. A lot is taking place.

I thus don’t have time to wait and didn’t want to go backwards to Catalina.

I still see no point in someone having to hold off on updating their machine because one single app is not yet compatible but that doesn’t mean the developers are at fault. My situation was simply one that necessitated a fix. I found one and shared it ... in hopes that if someone else needs it they can find it here.

It is simply is a route, be it permanent or temporary, that is available to anyone who doesn’t want to wait until March.

Let’s park our soap boxes and do more problem solving.
You joined a "discussion" forum, not software support. And you literally said "Greetings to anyone watching". I'm just giving you a heads up, as you seem unaware of the pitfalls of upgrading to a new OS. These are very common, even if you haven't experienced it before. Hopefully that knowledge will serve you well in the future.

And you can get off your "solutions only" soapbox. I gave you the only other solution you had not already mentioned...waiting until an update in March. If you couldn't check recent posts for the announcements, you could have simply asked for a link to it, rather than get an attitude for no reason. But I'll keep that in mind next time you come asking for help.
BLmo_ho

Post by BLmo_ho »

So there’s a solutions only soapbox 🤣🤣🤣

The other solution was waiting 3 months? Please never work in customer service.

But you know what. Yes. You are correct...

My apologies for seeking solutions to a problem related to a product I paid for... I contacted Moho and they recommended that I come here for a solution... thus I was hoping to hear from the current owners of the software.

You spoke up prior to the reps which is noble. But you did so with a tone of authority and your “solution” isn’t a solution for me. It’s a delay.

I appreciate your responses but I was really seeking to hear from Moho- and then by extension from Lost Marble. I now have the official word from them so I wont be contaminating your forum any more.

I would have simply emailed or called customer service if that Avenue had been provided but I was sent to a forum. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We all have our path forward now so we should all be happy.

Stand on a “solutions only” soap box if any soap box at all. It’s more sturdy!!!

Cheers 🍻

B
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Well, thanks for letting everyone here know that you consider this discussion forum as just an unpaid help desk. Like people volunteering their time to help others somehow owe you something...because the company you bought from won't support what they sold you.

I was telling you the options, as a user, knowing that Smith Micro offers no real support. If you want to shit all over that, so be it.