jump test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

arterror

jump test

Post by arterror »

hya

this is my first try with a 5 secs jump test. maybe you could tell me what's wrong with the movement... I'm not too happy, maybe I miss something

jump_test

thank you, cheers!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Nice drawing! For me, the character has insufficient weight, and also looks like he is performing on ice rather than grass. How about really anchoring the foot as it lands (it floats a bit at present), having some sand spray up from his foot as he lands, recoiling more, putting his arms out to steady himself etc.? The fact that his face remains completely impassive, and is always looking out of the screen doesn't help either.

Just re-read the above paragraph -- seems like a lot of criticism! I hope it is constructive for you...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Accelleration, decceleration, weight, timing, spacing. Animation.
arterror

Post by arterror »

jahnocli,
you are right, the leg slips and the landing is too easy, it must be more expressive
I have no problem with criticism, it's very helpful, thanks

ryleman,
I don't quite get it... where is the problem with spacing?I admit that the composition is bad, made in a hurry with comprimises just to have a little atmosphere for my first try with moho... acceleration/decc is too subtle maybe...

thank you both for the comments, cheers!
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

arterror wrote:ryleman,
I don't quite get it... where is the problem with spacing?I admit that the composition is bad, made in a hurry with comprimises just to have a little atmosphere for my first try with moho... acceleration/decc is too subtle maybe...
Sorry, that remark was a bit harsh. I think I need to elaborate a bit.
Ok, spacing is right, he starts and end in the right positions.
Timing; he accellerates up to the peak of the arc where he suddenly stops for two frames then start to accelerates downward and suddenly deccellerates for a soft landing. Falling bodies accelerates to their top speed and then maintain that 'til they, splat, hit the ground.
There are no jump force, He stands on one leg and then gets pulled off the ground by an invisible string, use his right leg for pushing and throw the left in the direction of the movement. Same with the landing, use a straight leg and have more take on the body.
Watch were your limbs are going, at midpoint his hands are suddenly going up, then going down, then up again.
Also, moving opposite limbs (the arms) exactly the same does look a bit mechanical.
arterror

Post by arterror »

now we are talking with verbs; I like verbs :wink:

I agree, there is no jump force and the left leg should bend after touching the ground;

the arms are going up and down like two wings, I did that after a first "clean" jump which seemed too simple for me; I wished to make him look like a stupid bird before landing; after all it's supposed to be comical...

I did look for the two frames in which you are saying that he stops suddenly and didn't find them; although I did find some subliminal message :lol: now seriously, in every frame there is a different position but I realize now I have to be much more careful woking with timeline

thanks for the observations, I really apppreciate it!
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

arterror wrote:I did look for the two frames in which you are saying that he stops suddenly and didn't find them; although I did find some subliminal message :lol: now seriously, in every frame there is a different position...
I'm talking about frame 14-15. There are a small change but in relation to the quite large moves directly before and after those it feel like a halt.
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

hey art, how did you draw this one? (what software)

also i noticed you did some armature within the face image- did you just have a bone in the center of the head?

RonC
arterror

Post by arterror »

rylleman, I get it now, you're right, thanks!

rpc9943: I used a wacom with photoshop
well, I have more than just a bone in the head or at least that's what I like to think :D if you are talking about the character, yes I put a bone in the center and 4 small bones for the eyes and jaws :wink: