Change Default Position in Frame Zero

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MikeNnemonic

Change Default Position in Frame Zero

Post by MikeNnemonic »

I feel like I missed a very basic thing somewhere. I'm still looking through the help and tutorial files, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post this here in the meantime.

So I'm trying to rig a character. I originally drew her up in MS Paint and imported the image to a layer.

I dropped the opacity to 50% and just worked off the image, breaking up all the parts into different vector layers until I got to this point.

So right now I'm not sure if I went about this in a horrible way or not since that's her default position. I'd like to be able to move some of this stuff around, like here when I use the manipulate bones tool.

My problem is that, as soon as I click a tool to edit something, she snaps back to the same position as in the second picture. The only thing I've figured out to do is just toggle visibility on different layers until I can see the areas I want to work on. I feel like I'm going about this in a backwards manner though.

Everything is just in frame zero. I'm not sure what I need to do to work with her more easily. Is there some method to reset her default position in frame zero or switch between positions or something so it's easier to rig and edit? I'll continue to look through the .pdfs in the meantime.
synthsin75

Re: Change Default Position in Frame Zero

Post by synthsin75 »

You can always set a pose on frame one or higher and set an onionskin on this frame. Then you will be able to see what your changes on frame zero are doing to this onionskin frame.
MikeNnemonic

Post by MikeNnemonic »

Is there no way to do what I'm wanting to do in frame zero outside of redoing all of my work? I still can't find anything related to what I'm wanting to do in the help file.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Are you on AS11? If so take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28275&p=160046

the "bake" script will make a normalised copy of the vectors in their positions on the active frame -- it won't move bones (it wasn't designed for that - it's a hand-off between AS-traditional and FBF animation) -- so it *might* save you the trouble of redrawing vectors - but you will have to manually move (or copy/paste) bone motion AND I notice you have extensive use of patch layers -- this tool will report a soft error and ignore them - so you'll have to move them manually as well (IMO they're somewhat redundant now we have smartbones)

***WARNING*** take a copy of your work and put it somewhere safe first!!
MikeNnemonic

Post by MikeNnemonic »

Yeah, I'm using AS 11 Pro. So I'm guessing from what I'm reading about this, I could do something like alter it the way I want in frame 1 and it could copy it to frame 0, but it wouldn't carry the bones over and I'd have to rebind all the points and patches. Maybe I should just skip that and redo some things. I mainly wanted to just be able to move the arms around so I could work on them more easily. I was thinking I might need to redo them completely anyway. This seems like a good enough reason to do that as any.

I appreciate the help. This is all still pretty new to me. I'm guessing I made a beginner's mistake or something. I'll just have to avoid doing that again in the future. I'm just eager to get my characters rigged so I can actually start getting my feet wet with the whole animation part of it.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

point binding shouldn't be broken by this -- just bone position. But if you want to post or PM me the file, I'll push it though the tool ...
MikeNnemonic

Post by MikeNnemonic »

I appreciate the offer, but it's fine. I need to learn how to clean up my messes in case I make any more in the future.
sillyanimate

Post by sillyanimate »

Ummm..Anime Studio doesn't render frame 0.....
Just do default postion in frame 1
Don't forget! No one is perfect!