Most effective layer to animate horse walking/running?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hartknocks

Most effective layer to animate horse walking/running?

Post by Hartknocks »

So i've looked at tutorials for it, but is it possible to do it with bone rigs? I started trying with that but it didn't turn out so well. Or should I make the frames of the horses legs and use switch layers, or frame by frame?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Most effective layer to animate horse walking/running?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I don't have a tutorial at hand, but you should check the Animator's survival kit by Richard Williams.
Also, here's an interesting old thread about horses:
viewtopic.php?t=11208
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you can do it with bones, probably easiest... get a good reference of the key positions like
then create a bone rig and put them in the positions of the image (move the image for each reference)
Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

Víctor Paredes wrote:I don't have a tutorial at hand, but you should check the Animator's survival kit by Richard Williams.
Also, here's an interesting old thread about horses:
viewtopic.php?t=11208
Cool, thanks for this. I planned on looking all this stuff up, but before I started I just wanted to figure out which way to start doing it, seems like a bone rig is the way to go.
Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

funksmaname wrote:you can do it with bones, probably easiest... get a good reference of the key positions like
then create a bone rig and put them in the positions of the image (move the image for each reference)
Sometimes I forget I can bring an image in AS and then just use the frames as reference. Apparently I like to try to reinvent the wheel!
Thanks!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Instead of tracing the image frame by frame, I recommend you to check which are the important keys of the movement and trace them at first (or use them as reference), because, if you trace the movement frame by frame, you probably will get a very shaky unnatural movement.
Once you identify and use the main keys as reference, go for the in-betweens, but always prioritizing how well your animation is working, rather than how similar the individual poses are compared to the reference. Probably there will be poses you will discard, in order to get a smooth movement.
Timing is very important and that can't be read on image references. Even if you are using a video as reference, your animation timing can be different, because your character is different and lives in a different world.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

Víctor Paredes wrote:Instead of tracing the image frame by frame, I recommend you to check which are the important keys of the movement and trace them at first (or use them as reference), because, if you trace the movement frame by frame, you probably will get a very shaky unnatural movement.
Once you identify and use the main keys as reference, go for the in-betweens, but always prioritizing how well your animation is working, rather than how similar the individual poses are compared to the reference. Probably there will be poses you will discard, in order to get a smooth movement.
Timing is very important and that can't be read on image references. Even if you are using a video as reference, your animation timing can be different, because your character is different and lives in a different world.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!