Copy points animated by bones to another layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wabbeljabba

Copy points animated by bones to another layer?

Post by wabbeljabba »

Is there a way to copy points animated by bones to another layer? Probably this question is asked a few times before, but I didn't find it.
When I copy the points of an animated figure to give it other bones or to use it as a basis for continuing FBF I don't get the position of the by bones animated figure, but the point positions at frame 0. But I want to have the changed position of the points copied exactly so as the figure appears in the end of the animation. Is there a trick or maybe a script?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Copy points animated by bones to another layer?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I remember a discussion about baking point animation made by bones. It took a bone animation and created keys for the points based on the bones movement. So you received a copy of the animation made with bones, but in a single vector layer, only made with point animation keyframes.
Sadly I can't find that very old thread.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Víctor Paredes wrote:I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I remember a discussion about baking point animation made by bones. It took a bone animation and created keys for the points based on the bones movement. So you received a copy of the animation made with bones, but in a single vector layer, only made with point animation keyframes.
Sadly I can't find that very old thread.
Possibly this one by heyvern:
Point keys from bone movement? When did this get added?
This is an undocumented feature and it still works, but make sure all points are selected before you key a point, and note it only works on single vector layer at a time. If you're animating the points, keep in mind that because the bone influence is removed in the new layer, the points more in a linear fashion.
wabbeljabba

Post by wabbeljabba »

Thanks neeters_guy.
This keying trick is exactly what I have searched for.
Thanks a lot !!!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

neeters_guy wrote:
Víctor Paredes wrote:Sadly I can't find that very old thread.
Possibly this one by heyvern:
Point keys from bone movement? When did this get added?
Exactly! Thanks.
I thought it was older and related to a script, but it isn't :wink:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel