Best budget tablet for drawing and importing?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

joho1701

Best budget tablet for drawing and importing?

Post by joho1701 »

What is the best budget priced tablet fir drawing and importing characters? Any suggestions?
dueyftw

Re: Best budget tablet for drawing and importing?

Post by dueyftw »

I do not use my 400 dollar wacom for drawing in AS. I find it faster and easier to trace with a mouse.

The problem is that you have to lift you pen off the tablet to make a point. Where as the mouse you just click. Unless you need it for Photoshop or some other program, paper, pencil and a scanner is my preference. And add a light box to that list. I use the light box, not for animation, but to keep volume as I draw 45 and 90's of my characters.

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

With regards to ASP, I agree with Dueyftw. In many cases, it's better to work with a mouse in ASP. The exception might be if you're using DK Root's script for freehand drawing. As mentioned by Dueyftw, a tablet is very useful if you use Photoshop or another bitmap program that can use pressure sensitivity.

That said, I use my Wacom devices nearly everyday for many programs. I have an older model Intuous and an older Cintiq 13-inch. The Intuos line may not be cheap but these tablets are durable and last for years and years (I think I bought mine like 10 years ago.) They also feature 'expresskeys' that make using a keyboard and mouse unnecessary (well, except for typing in text anyway.) Additionally, the Intuos has pen tilt and rotation for programs that understand this movement. (Corel Painter is a good example.)

Wacom also has an affordable entry level version of Intuos but I haven't used one. FWIW, I trust the brand name for quality drawing input devices but check the reviews to be sure.

G.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I use a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet PC. It's like a laptop with a Cintiq integrated.
I never work at any graphic or non-graphic software without the pen. It's just faster and more comfortable than a mouse, in my opinion.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I thought about mentioning my trusty old tablet PC. I use an HP tm2, which is a convertible laptop that has a Wacom penabled stylus and touch screen. It's actually a fairly old computer but I use it everyday for work, including working in ASP. I have to confess, I don't use the stylus much for ASP but for drawing and animating in other applications and on the go, I still love using this computer.

That said, this computer is getting pretty old--five years of daily use and lots of traveling--and I'm afraid it could die on me any day now.

As a hopeful replacement, I've been lusting after the upcoming Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. I wasn't terribly interested in the original Companion because it wasn't much more powerful than my tm2, but the new CC2 sounds like it's going to be a monster (by tablet computer standards anyway.) The CC2 can also double as a regular Cintiq for a desktop Win or Mac computer. This tablet computer won't be available until spring which gives me just enough time to finish saving up for it. :)

I've read that Microsoft is busy working the Surface Pro 4. No official details yet.

G.
sceech

Post by sceech »

I got a used Wacom Intuos 2 tablet online ($35) (a dinosaur, but works great!) and a compatible new Intous Pen ($40). For $75 for the whole set-up, you can't beat it. I can trace very fast with it, as well as I do all my finished video editing with it in Final Cut . It saves an incredible amount of time, and a lot of wear and tear on the fingers from not having to click so much!

Like it so much that I bought a second one as a back-up (similar price), in case the day ever comes that either fails, but it's so sturdy nothing's showing any wear, even been dropped numerous times.

Good luck!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That was a good deal!

I have an old Intuos 2 that I would take to studios where I freelanced. This tablet is about 10 years old and it still works great!

Here's proof of its durability: When she was five, I loaned the Intuos 2 to my daughter to use on her computer. She used it for about two years and, except for some washable food stains, the tablet survived with flying colors. Since I'm no longer freelancing, she's happy to have it back. (She's 8 now.) :)

G.
sceech

Post by sceech »

A lot like my old Motorola flip phone. Everyone laughed at it. It fell down the elevator shaft twice (6 stories into the elevator pit), no damage fell in the toilet twice. I pulled out the battery and let it dry for a day, right back to life, while everyone else was crying about how many times they had to get a new phone. It still works, but the phone company discontinued supporting it, trying to get everyone to buy smart phones. Some stuff is just good.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I've read that using a mouse is like drawing with a brick. I believe that's only partly true. I draw bitmaps with a tablet. If I'm moving vector points around I prefer a mouse. I prefer a tablet when I use PhotoShop. With AS I prefer a mouse.
Cheers, Larry
heiseman

Post by heiseman »

I'd stick with Wacom Intros or Bamboo.. Try eBay for an older model.
Check out my animations:
Motionlab Animations
Motionlab on Vimeo
wendallb

Post by wendallb »

I use a Wacom Bamboo that work great and I am very happy with. Won't break the bank!
WendallB
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

There is mix review on Bosto brand of tablets, at half the cost of Cintiq
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I've found that other brands than Wacom are good enough to use with AS, as long as they work reliable in general. Research some tests for certain brands.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ruscular3d wrote:There is mix review on Bosto brand of tablets, at half the cost of Cintiq
Hi, Óscar, an illustrator I work with, just bought a Bosto HD tablet and it's working great so far. We had some problems with the drivers at first, but installing newer ones it was fixed.
We have used it just one day (and having only couple hours for hard testing), but it really feels as a very good alternative for the very expensive Cintiq.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Looks like a good one Victor, especially the 22HDX for 900$, thanks for sharing.