Full Body Turn Experiment

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

neeters_guy

Full Body Turn Experiment

Post by neeters_guy »

This is a continuation of rig I mentioned here.
I should write a detailed how-to guide sometime, but for now here's the file (v9.5) you can play with and a quick overview:

The basic idea is to use smart bones to (1) control switches to display different poses, (2) move points to smooth the transition between poses, and (3) animate layer order.

One caveat when layer ordering in smart bone actions: it will prevent layer ordering on the mainline in the same level. Because of this, I keep the top level free of layer order keys and layer order only WITHIN subgroups, eg., upper torso, lower torso, and head. Eg.,:

TOP LEVEL BONE
_LOWER ARM/HAND RIGHT
_LOWER ARM/HAND LEFT
_HEAD
__hair front
__hair side right
__hair side left
__face
__ear right
__ear left
__neck
__hair back
_UPPER TORSO
__chest
__upper arm right
__upper arm left
_LOWER TORSO
__leg/foot right
__leg/foot left
__pelvis

With this set up I can animate the lower arms/hands to be in front or behind the torso as needed on the mainline.

In the case of the head, I chose to use selgin’s head turn (meshinstance script is needed), but you can also use a switch as in the chest and pelvis.

I still believe that it's best to build a rig to meet the needs of the scene rather than try to cover every possible movement in one rig. However, I think there are some useful features in this rig that’s worth considering.

Let me know what you think so far. Thanks.
ddrake

Re: Full Body Turn Experiment

Post by ddrake »

Looking very good. Will be interested to take a closer look at the set up after work. Do you have a horizontal flip on the head when it is facing away? Just my guess to simplify, but the hairstyle flips back the other way at the start of the next loop.

Also, not that well versed in scripts, what does the meshinstance script do? And/or is it only relevant before vers 10?

Anyway, very nicely done as always, looking forward to experimenting :)
-ddrake
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Great looking rig.
neeters_guy wrote:One caveat when layer ordering in smart bone actions: it will prevent layer ordering on the mainline in the same level. Because of this, I keep the top level free of layer order keys and layer order only WITHIN subgroups, eg., upper torso, lower torso, and head. Eg.,:

...With this set up I can animate the lower arms/hands to be in front or behind the torso as needed on the mainline.
Good solution.
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

Of course you could notice things in the turn that just pop up due to layer ordering but of course this wont be noticeable if animation really quick. :) Good job the file is interesting yet helpful. Only question why did you need to use switches and two bodies aka the lower torso and upper? I would have made everything function on smart bones and do like a whole body etc...
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

ddrake wrote:Also, not that well versed in scripts, what does the meshinstance script do? And/or is it only relevant before vers 10?
I haven't tried this yet in vers 10. There's a good explanation of the script in selgin's original thread:
The only disadvantage of this way of masking is that you are forced to use a layer script to control two layers at the same time (actually, you can do it without the script, but you would had to animate two identical layers separately all the time, which is just a waste of time). But don't be afraid, the use of the script is extremely easy. You just must have two identical layers with the same name, but one with ".dup". For example, you will have face and face.dup. Then you attach the script to both layers and animate both just moving the points of "face" (be sure that "face" is below "face.dup" on layer order).
EHEBrandon wrote:Only question why did you need to use switches and two bodies aka the lower torso and upper? I would have made everything function on smart bones and do like a whole body etc...
I tried it without switches, but I find the body parts get difficult to manage when the turn goes beyond, say, 90 degrees. The reason for separating the upper and lower torso is because they rotate independently. This allows you to offset the animation, eg., the shoulder could turn ahead of the hips.

This example is pretty rough I admit, I hope to post a more polished version at some point. Thanks for the comments, everyone.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I finally got some time to take a look at your new rig. This is incredible! I love that the different sections of the body can move independently. You can get some really dynamic poses. The only downside is that sometimes you can see that the sections are discrete shapes. I wonder if another shape could be added at the waist to bridge that gap, the lower half matching the pelvis rotation and added to that smart bone action and upper half matching the torso rotation added to that smart bone action?

I really want to experiment with animating with this rig! And it would be so helpful for storyboarding! It would only take a few seconds to come up with the right pose. Super cool!
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks for the breakdown of the set up. Much appreciated
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

lwaxana wrote:I finally got some time to take a look at your new rig. This is incredible! I love that the different sections of the body can move independently. You can get some really dynamic poses. The only downside is that sometimes you can see that the sections are discrete shapes. I wonder if another shape could be added at the waist to bridge that gap, the lower half matching the pelvis rotation and added to that smart bone action and upper half matching the torso rotation added to that smart bone action?

I really want to experiment with animating with this rig! And it would be so helpful for storyboarding! It would only take a few seconds to come up with the right pose. Super cool!
Thanks. You're right about the midsection....I thought about adding a belt as a way to cover the shapes. Well, anyway, I'm not sure if it's ready as a general purpose rig yet, but feel free.

@Little Yamori -- You're welcome! (I enjoy your work as well.)