Question about rigging EYE controls (Smart Bones)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daners

Question about rigging EYE controls (Smart Bones)

Post by Daners »

So I have created a few masks for some good looking eyes, and set up a smart bone to control the iris/pupils etc.
I create a smart bone, and make it so that when I move it to the left, the pupils of the eye move to the left. Now how do I create a second effect where if I move it to the right, the pupils will move back across the eye to the right side? It seems like I can only get them to do one or the other. I can only make one action for the bone because it has to have the exact same name.
Lukas

Re: Question about rigging EYE controls (Smart Bones)

Post by Lukas »

I never do eye direction with smart bones, because it gives you limited control. Just use regular bones and translate/rotate/scale those to get the eyes right. You'll be able to get more emotion that way.

I do use smart bones for head turns and stuff, and in those I actually translate those eye-bones as well. You'll still be able to animate them by hand.
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

Daners wrote:Now how do I create a second effect where if I move it to the right, the pupils will move back across the eye to the right side? It seems like I can only get them to do one or the other. I can only make one action for the bone because it has to have the exact same name.
You can make a second smartbone action and name it "bonename 2" or if you want to consolidate actions you could have your bone action include the entire range, say starting with extreme left and going to extreme right. Could be a little odd as your eyes will be off to the side as a starting default position.
-ddrake
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Hi Daners,

I know your question is about using smart bones for eyes but I find that masking and using one bone to translate eye movement is much, much easier for me. Here is a video on how I use one bone to rule them all, one bone to bind them…. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5hfnjr506qj ... esktop.m4v
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!