Fuzzy Images - Please Help

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GoBoks

Fuzzy Images - Please Help

Post by GoBoks »

Hi Everyone, I am working on my first real AS project using AS Pro 7. I decided to render my incomplete video to see what the final product will look like, and was shocked to see that many of the images were "fuzzy" - not sharp. I rendered as a quicktime movie and chose "best quality". Also, at one point the video stops for a split second before continoing. In AS when I run the animation, it is crystal clear and there is no stop.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!
slowtiger

Re: Fuzzy Images - Please Help

Post by slowtiger »

1. Video playback depends on your machine's power. It is quite normal that a video in best quality doesn't play without stutter. That's why I render "best quality" only for importing into other programs, and a second render in half size with h.264 oder MPEG4 to check movements and timing and maybe exchange files with others for discussion.

2. Which dimensions does your video have? When I do full HD (1920 x 1080), it doesn't matter if an image is as sharp as the original or has a little blur in it, especially not when moving. Any "fuzzyness" is just a result of the unavoidable interpolation of pixels when it moves, rotates, or resizes. Also, take care to match your bitmap material to project dimentions, usually a bit bigger than needed.
GoBoks

Post by GoBoks »

Thanks Slow Tiger. I am very inexperienced at this, so I only half understand your advice. I did not check the dimensions of the video before rendering, but will experiment with that. Are you saying that when I use a bitmap image, it must be less than the project dimensions? If I scale the image down, it will still cause a problem? What "quality" and/or "movie type" is best to publish straight from AS to a end product viewable movie?

I have solved my initial problem. The overall "fuzzyness" is acceptable, it is just on certain items it is dramatically worse than elsewhere. When I examined the particularly bad items I had drawn, I discovered that I had inadvertently changed the style to "soft edge". On changing it back to plain, the problem has been resolved!
Again Thanks Slow Tiger .... I have an enormous amount to learn.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No, bitmaps always should be bigger than project dimensions.