Help with image texture

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Wolfo

Help with image texture

Post by Wolfo »

I have a problem.

This is my character with bones, ready to animate.

But when i move his arm, the texture doesn't follow all the arm, also the hand check it what happens.

Then i tried to fix it, moving the image texture, but happens other things that don't solve the problem.

Also happens with other moves.

The fill was do it with the Style window, option "effect/image texture", i tried with mask, but mask doesn't allow me distort the image as i move the bone… or i don't find how to do it, because when i bind the bones, the image don't move with the arm.

Does any one knows how to fix that? or other way to do it?
Please help.
Last edited by Wolfo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

I think this would be easiest done by masking images rather thhn using them as textures.

Images should be moved together with the bones, something must have happened there for you.

Could you post your .anme-file together with the images?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Unfortunately textures within shapes don't react to bones as predictable as points, especially not in extreme situations as the bending of an arm. This is reasonable: while a fill in a shape is just the same colour value, a texture in that place must effectively bend into itself, which is a hard thing to do and cannot be done with just the few points of the bounding shape.

If you want to put images into masks, you need to check "warp with bones" in the image tab. Do a test first, with just two bones, and see how the image reacts when being forced to fold in itself: it's a weird effect and normally not useful.

I recommend to break apart the limbs into smaller pieces, at least upper arm/ lower arm, maybe even an elbow patch. It will take some experimentation to get a nice result without losing too much flexibility.

Your style is a really nice one, maybe the shapes could do with a bit of shading, like the nose? I recommend you have a look at Yuri Norsteyn, especially his film "Hedgehog in the Fog" http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DoW0j ... 2Tu9P_oqHg. Done without any computer, it's a masterpiece in terms of how many parts a cut-out character can have.

Good work already. Please keep us updated about your progress!
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Taking slowtiger's method:
1) render out the individual parts as pngs
2) if needed, crop them in a photoeditor (preserve transparency)
3) import images into AS
4) layer bind to the correct bones

Here's an example for the left arm; break up the arm into bicep and forearm.

Here's an animated test. Because of the pattern you can't really see the overlap at the elbow.

The hardest part is creating all the individual parts and positioning them so they rotate well.

Not exactly the answer to your original problem (I couldn't figure it out myself), but this is a pretty good alternative. Neomarz uses this method in his
Eve of October video.
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

Ok, i want a disortable texture, but i guess i have no choice, Thanks.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Guys, the problem is much easier than it looks. Textures use bone strength to move, and the bone strengths are in conflict each other.
Wolfo wrote:Ok, i want a disortable texture, but i guess i have no choice, Thanks.
You can, just try the textured vectors like image layers. On frame zero separate the body parts for rigging. That will fix the problem.
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Also, I recommend you to try mandcon arm rig for, uhm, the arms (and legs).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

And the prize goes to selgin! I separated the parts and reattached them with bone offset tool. Voila, texture follows limbs!

I tip my hat to you, sir! :)

Wolfo, this looks great. I hope to see more.
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

Thanks.
It's a little difficult for me deduce how to solve that kind of situations, maybe because I'm clumsy, i spent more time assembling and testing than animating, i find a lot of limitations in me on how to do specific things, because often, "i want to do this", mmm but i don't know how, or even if the soft is able to do it…
I think i almost know enough to do the animations i want without say "i don't know how to do that".

In this case, i want to do a textured animation, because this kind of animation can't be done very well in frame-by-frame animation, and Anime Studio is perfect for this kind of animation.

The hair texture is courtesy from my mother hehe, scanned and some few editions with Photoshop.