Layer arrangement

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ritalin

Layer arrangement

Post by Ritalin »

I notice that I can still see hapes behing other shapes on the same layer. How to I bring them to front or send backwards or to back?

Also, is there a way to add points to a shape without the new vectors adding unwanted curvatures?
myles

Post by myles »

Hello Ritalin,

If the shapes are filled (and/or outlined), you can use the Select Shape tool (looks like a white kidney bean under a black umbrella) to select a shape (it will show it's fill as a small checker pattern), then use either the Draw menu (Raise Shape, Raise to Front, Lower ...) or use the up and down arrow keys for one level at a time (or Shift-arrow keys for front and back).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
myles

Re: Layer arrangement

Post by myles »

Ritalin wrote:Also, is there a way to add points to a shape without the new vectors adding unwanted curvatures?
Oops - missed seeing this question.

Umm, possibly.
If you're adding the extra detail all the way around the entire outline, yes.
If you're adding extra detail to just one part of an outline you may see curve changes on the curves immediately adjacent to the area you're changing (Lost Marble, is this easily fixed?)

--not-changed---O--possible-change----O-----area-for-extra-detail---O---possible-change--O--not-changed--

Select the points defining the area(s) where you want to create extra detail, then go through the menus Scripts; Draw; Split Curve...

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: Layer arrangement

Post by Lost Marble »

myles wrote:Lost Marble, is this easily fixed?
No, unfortunately not. The way curves are represented in Moho means that whenever you add a new point, it will affect the shape of neighboring curve segments. The Split Curve script the Myles mentioned can get around this if you add new points all along an existing curve, but if you want to just add one point, it will change the shape of the curve.
Ritalin

Post by Ritalin »

ok, i think i understand what you're saying. then is there a way to cut into shapes? I will post some visuals of what I'm talking about after I get home from work. I'm trying to make an eye but cut it off at the lid at the top. There are no masks, so I'm running out of options.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Ritalin wrote:then is there a way to cut into shapes?
This sounds like a good case to take advantage of the fact that the curves you draw and the shapes you see in final output are actually separate objects in Moho. Here's an example:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/split_circle.moho

In that file, I first drew a circle without any fill. Then, I drew a curve down the middle, welded to the circle at the top and bottom. Finally, I filled the left half of this "split circle".

Instead of actually deleting half the circle or adding points to the middle of the curve, I just left part of it unfilled. The right half of the circle will be invisible in the final output, but that invisible point on the right still influences the overall shape, keeping it circular. Try moving the point on the right around and you'll see what I mean.