Storyboarding intro

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Sibelius First is a cheaper option... around 120GBP. It has the vid editing but lacks a few "top end" features needed for heavyweight serious work (no - I don't work for Avid!)

I used it to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmR8tlPWH64 - and, if you're interested, that was storyboard in MS Powerpoint, music in Sibelius, 15 separate AS files (split up by z and time), couple of pngs in Photoshop for background, composited and titled in premiere. Looking at the dates on the files - about 1 calendar month start to finish. No idea on effort time spent - but it was done "in the gaps between everything else" ...

edit - (ah - just noticed you're Mac - not sure if it's available on other than windows) - edit again -- just checked .. it is available for mac ..
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

hayasidist wrote:Sibelius First is a cheaper option... around 120GBP. It has the vid editing but lacks a few "top end" features needed for heavyweight serious work (no - I don't work for Avid!)

I used it to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmR8tlPWH64 - and, if you're interested, that was storyboard in MS Powerpoint, music in Sibelius, 15 separate AS files (split up by z and time), couple of pngs in Photoshop for background, composited and titled in premiere. Looking at the dates on the files - about 1 calendar month start to finish. No idea on effort time spent - but it was done "in the gaps between everything else" ...

edit - (ah - just noticed you're Mac - not sure if it's available on other than windows) - edit again -- just checked .. it is available for mac ..

Sounds more like it... Us mac users are not the devil anymore mate most creative software is will either have a mac port or started on it ;) They have a mac version of "first" checking it out now...
oh and checked your video out.. good stuff noticed you were to scared to sing :P
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

there are things that I can do ... and there are things that I think I can do (but I can't really) ... there are things that I haven't tried but I would be able to do if I did try ... and there are things that I have tried and everyone knows I can't do. Singing is in that last one. :D
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

hayasidist wrote:there are things that I can do ... and there are things that I think I can do (but I can't really) ... there are things that I haven't tried but I would be able to do if I did try ... and there are things that I have tried and everyone knows I can't do. Singing is in that last one. :D
lol classic. "know thyself"..... I think I fit your quote pretty much exactly... the secret is to know which one you are suffering at the time. ;)
--Sven
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

atleast you're following something akin to real world models of animating

I just do everything in my minds eye and besides writing down a couple scenes, everything else is just straight from my head to AS

I really want to take a couple storyboarding classes and art classes and stuff and probably will in the future once I save up some $$$

I'm so far behind the learning curve it's crazy that I'm even doing this
OMG make it stop!
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Thats just the point Kellz, I dont :D

I always just sketch something, put it in the puter, move it and look at it...move it some more.

I really, really want to do have that cohesive thought out piece of animation. I've got billions of ideas and never follow through so I need to focus and learn at the same time.. been my bless and curse for 30+ years.. quick on the uptake, easily bored and poorly motivated ;)

If the stuff you produce is based on just in your head I'm amazed as it looks great.. add to that your willingness to take on board new stuff, like slowtigers suggestions I cant see how you wont continue to improve and meet your own goals.
--Sven
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Your post influenced me to make a change in the way I work. I have been trying to put together an animation without a clear story in my head. This means I have to re-rig my characters because I haven't thought through everything. I have a general idea and I get stuck on the 'specifics'. I'm working without a blueprint.
I think I can work from a written plan as opposed to rough drawings. I'll see.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:Your post influenced me to make a change in the way I work. I have been trying to put together an animation without a clear story in my head. This means I have to re-rig my characters because I haven't thought through everything. I have a general idea and I get stuck on the 'specifics'. I'm working without a blueprint.
I think I can work from a written plan as opposed to rough drawings. I'll see.
Mr 3d, Im glad its had an impact and only hope its a +ve one ;) I'm trying to follow my advice at the moment(or rather the advice I've borrowed from the rule book).. I'm short on time at the moment but feel as if I'm moving towards a goal... at least you can measure where you on on the line, unlike making it up... of course there is a balance and everyone/team will be different.
--Sven
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

SvenFoster, is there a story going on in your avatar? I just took a good look.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:SvenFoster, is there a story going on in your avatar? I just took a good look.
ha... maybe and also not really..

I cobbled the pig and hedgehog together for a "limited" animation series I considered trying to do weekly/semi regularly.. I rigged them up and did some test anim's but put it on the shelf for a bit.

I need an Avatar in a hurry, plopped these two on a background I knocked up, Placed a couple of CENSORED blackout bars, gave the hedgehog a smug/proud look and the Pig a shocked expression... Seemed appropriate and would give the impression of a story ;)

no animals were harmed in the making of that avatar, the only damage done was to animation and art... for that I am truly sorry.
--Sven
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Very cool. And I see you have a 27" screen. That's a big timesaver.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:Very cool. And I see you have a 27" screen. That's a big timesaver.
cheers.... and the large screen is somewhat obscene and took some getting used to but I struggle everytime I get on a normal screen, now by normal I mean 22" lol

Oh yeah I've got all the tools, just no clue ;) doesnt stop me trying
--Sven
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Update: I'm still working on my script and making good progress. I've already learned the basics of animating in AS. I am now learning the basics of telling a story through animation.
I have to think things through. If I ramble it's because things are not clear to me.
I had to rewrite this post many times. I prefer the fewest words. When I ramble people lose interest.
I think storyboarding should be a natural step for animators.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:Update: I'm still working on my script and making good progress. I've already learned the basics of animating in AS. I am now learning the basics of telling a story through animation.
I have to think things through. If I ramble it's because things are not clear to me.
I had to rewrite this post many times. I prefer the fewest words. When I ramble people lose interest.
I think storyboarding should be a natural step for animators.
its like you've just described me.
--Sven
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I've just completed a quick Blog post about how I add music to my animatics if you are interested. I think everyone develops their own way of working and this is just the way I do it.