A Few Questions From a Noob

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Yosemite Sam

A Few Questions From a Noob

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Hello everyone,

I'm a straight up and down noob. I've been doing traditional animation since I was a kid, but I have a big learning curve ahead of me here.

I'm using the latest version of Anime Studio Pro and have purchased a Wacom Intous 4 tablet. Forgive me if I use the wrong terms to describe things. Happily correct me :)

First, how can I get the workspace on Anime to match the drawing area on my tablet. As of now the tablet mirrors the entire screen of the monitor. So it's a real pain.

Secondly, is there a way to use two monitor with Anime? One for the workspace and one for all the windows (Tools, Timeline, etc.)?

Thirdly, is there any type of screen or covering that is recommended for the Wacom in order to reduce wear and tear, as well as assist in it feeling more like you're drawing on paper?

I also plan on tracing artwork done on paper, so I want to make sure I don't do anything to impede the accuracy between the pen and the tablet.

I would really appreciate any help from you guys.

Thanks,

Jim
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey YS, welcome.
I can't answer everything but;
You can put a piece of paper between the tablet and the pen - it shouldn't effect accuracy. It might wear down the nib a little quicker but those suckers last forever anyway.

You can probably use the wacom perferences to reduce the mapped area, but I wouldn't reccomend it... why is it a pain that it covers the whole screen? that's the only way to access all the menus and buttons...

As far as tracing, i think the most accurate way is to scan the drawings rather than trace them over paper. I've tried to do that before long time ago and I think that due to subtle differences in the aspect ratio you get a scewed result. if you dont have a scanner, you could take a photo with any camera or webcam just keep it flat.

I have two monitors, but never used them both with AS - I have 1600x1200 resolution and don't really find myself struggling for space.

hope that begins to help
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Funk,

Thanks for the response. I get what you're saying about using the pen for the Anime windows.

It's just that now the area on the tablet to draw within becomes much smaller. And on top of that if I can't trace my own artwork than the tablet seems to become rather pointless.

I do like the scanner idea. What scanner do you recommend and how do you import it? What type of file do you save the scanned drawing? How does Anime treat it? Just as it looks or does it convert it into a hard lined ink-type drawing?

I guess i was looking for a way to fill the whole monitor screen with the workspace (drawing area) of Anime.

Using two monitors would be nice.

And again, shrinking the already small 8x6 area of the tablet, seems to make it to small to really do any detailed work. I'm limited to an area the size of an index card.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the benefit of the tablet any longer.

Well, I'm stumped.

Jim
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You know you could zoom in nearly endlessly? This way the size of the tablet not really matters, but of course you'll use a big one anyway. (I use a cintiq 21.) Resize the project window to your needs.

Other software sometimes has a mode where all palettes vanish and leave the project area only, and they come back when you reach the screen borders. Unfortunately AS hasn't implemented this.

Using two monitors should be possible, but I haven't tested.

The wacoms are pretty durable, you con't need any cover. However, some artists prefer a different surface and use tracing paper or else. You should take care for the nibs of your pen: depending on your usage, they get worn out after time and need to be replaced otherwise they could cause indeed scratching. (I do this every 2 years.)

Tracing from paper: I'd only do this on a tablet for a very fast sketch. Any animation on paper I'd scan in. Resolution should match your project dmensions. File formats could be JPG or PNG.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

slowtiger wrote:You know you could zoom in nearly endlessly? This way the size of the tablet not really matters, but of course you'll use a big one anyway. (I use a cintiq 21.) Resize the project window to your needs.

Other software sometimes has a mode where all palettes vanish and leave the project area only, and they come back when you reach the screen borders. Unfortunately AS hasn't implemented this.

Using two monitors should be possible, but I haven't tested.

The wacoms are pretty durable, you con't need any cover. However, some artists prefer a different surface and use tracing paper or else. You should take care for the nibs of your pen: depending on your usage, they get worn out after time and need to be replaced otherwise they could cause indeed scratching. (I do this every 2 years.)

Tracing from paper: I'd only do this on a tablet for a very fast sketch. Any animation on paper I'd scan in. Resolution should match your project dmensions. File formats could be JPG or PNG.
Slowtiger,

I greatly appreciate your response, as well as that of all members here.

The 'zoom-in' idea is helpful.

Well if Anime Studio doesn't offer dual monitors, or some sort of resizing, or full screen to match the Wacom workspace pad, is there another software you guys recommend to have these options, to sketch out your initial drawings/layers, than import them into AS?

I hope more people respond to this because I'm really determined to animate, but before I even get into the basics I need to figure out whether this tablet is of use to me for my intended purposes.

I've spent literally thousands of dollars over the past few weeks (software, Microphone, sound booth, computer, tablet, etc.) in order to realize my ambitions as a storyteller/animator, and I am dedicated, and well schooled in traditional animation, but I obviously have a lot to learn.

Although by background is in photo-realistic portrait drawings and Manga type animation, I'm focusing now on comedy (Adult swim type animation) and beg and plead for any knowledge you guys can bestow upon me :)

Thanks,

Jim
JCook

Post by JCook »

Hi,

It sounds like you're new to using the tablet with the computer, so I think it's more a matter of getting used to using one. It's a little different from drawing on paper, as you are looking at the screen and not at the place where the pen point is tracking. The size of the tablet really shouldn't be a problem. You can configure it to pretty much any custom size, or part of the screen, but as slowtiger says, you can't access the tools that way. I use a 9x6 inch Wacom tablet on my 1920x1200 pixel screen, and I have no problems doing that. Also, at home I have an iMac with a similar sized screen, and I use a 4x5 inch Wacom on that. The thing with the Wacom that I don't like is that the drawing surface is too slick and slippery. I've taped a piece of frosted drafting mylar over mine and it has a much more paper-like surface with some "tooth" to it, but you could use a piece of tracing paper just as well. It'll give you a better feel with the pen, and more control.

As far as using two monitors, your computer should offer that option in the display settings. Then I guess you could enlarge the drawing area to the size of one screen, and move all the tool windows over to the other screen. I've never done this with ASPro, but I think you can do it. Anybody else tried this with AS?

For me the Wacom tablet is the most important tool on the computer. I can't imagine doing any kind of graphic work without one. Back in the early 90's I didn't have a tablet and had to do all my drawing with the mouse - it was like drawing with a brick. So the tablet is revolutionary.

Good luck, and have fun.

Jack
crsP

Post by crsP »

To get Anime Studio workspace to match the drawing area of your tablet, go to the 'Windows' menu in the menu bar [I am using a mac, so it may be different for you if you are using Windows]. Start selecting Timeline, Tools, etc. one by one. This will undock the palettes, with the result that ASP's workspace now fills the areas they used to take up. For your two monitor setup, you can drag these undocked palettes to the second monitor. As mentioned previously, the two monitor setup is handled by the operating system, not usually specific apps. Another way to get the tablet using only the workspace is in the tablet preferences. You can limit the whole of the tablet drawing area to just a portion of the screen. Pretty simple to set up if I remember correctly - you just click one corner, then another and that area is defined as used by the tablet. Note that your worry that you will get to use a smaller proportion of the tablet is not justified with this method - it uses ALL of the usable drawing area of the tablet, but you can't go to the areas of the COMPUTER DISPLAY that are out of the area you defined. So for instance, if you want to draw a postage stamp area in your app, you can set it so your tablet is in fact a giant postage stamp. To get around the problem of not being able to select the tools \ menu with this option, you can a) learn all the keyboard shortcuts, and b) just use your [non-Wacom] mouse to select the tools or menu options as per usual. Anything you change in the Wacom Driver Preferences only affect Wacom tools.

The aspect ratio issue for tracing which funksmaname mentions, is also solvable in the Wacom driver preferences. There should be an option or button which says something like 'Force Proportions'. This does as the name suggests, so if you have a widescreen tablet and a 4:3 'fullscreen' monitor, you will lose some of the usable area of the Wacom tablet from the sides. If you have 16:10 monitor and the Wacom tablet is 16:9, you will lose a little from the top. If they are both exactly the same ratio, you will lose nothing. So tracing will be more accurate when you engage 'force proportion'.

I am willing to bet that funksmaname's Wacom is an older model, if he believes the nibs last forever. The newer Intuos' [and I think you have a newer model], have a rougher surface, which simulates the pencil on paper 'feel' more accurately. Unfortunately, the downside is that the nibs get worn out quicker. This I have noticed on my Wacom bamboo [with similar surface], which has hardly been used. Some people tape a sheet of acetate or another less rough surface, to prevent wear. But if you're going for that paper feel, the best option is the 'raw' tablet surface. I think using tracing paper trick was for the older models with smoother surface, or the cintiqs.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

THANK YOU so much guys. I really appreciate the feedback!

CRSP, that was a lot of USEFULl information. Once I get home I will try out everything you explained and report back the results.

On a side note, I tried a free software that came with the Wacom, Sketchbook Express, and really liked the feel of the pen and tablet with this program. It felt so much more natural to draw with then Anime. Of course I'm sure there's settings within Anime to adjust this. But if not could I draw my layers with Sketchbook and import them into Anime?

Also, if there's a better software to create your art work with before importing to Anime, could you please recommend it?

One last thing, I was holding the tablet up, roughly 6 inches or so above my keyboard, with a downward tilt, aligning the top of the tablet with the bottom of the monitor and this seemed to significantly close the 'gap' between looking at the monitor while drawing on the pad (I could see my hand and monitor at the same time).

Wonder if they sell a device for this, or I could build one. But then again, maybe I just have to give myself a few weeks with the tablet to adjust as everyone has recommended.

My only fear is if I get really used to it and ever need to draw a picture on a regular piece of paper I'll instinctively be looking straight ahead at the wall in front of me.

Jim
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Use whatever software you feel comfortable with, and what fits your style. I use TVPaint to animate frame-by-frame and AS only for pans and cutout stuff. Others use Photoshop or even Gimp. If a tool doesn't fit your needs, try a different tool.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

slowtiger wrote:Use whatever software you feel comfortable with, and what fits your style. I use TVPaint to animate frame-by-frame and AS only for pans and cutout stuff. Others use Photoshop or even Gimp. If a tool doesn't fit your needs, try a different tool.
As much as I love traditional frame-by-frame animation -- and I've done a ton of it -- I'm going more for the style of Adult Swim, South Park, Family Guy, etc.

The reason being is time. I'm looking to create a series, and between creating show ideas, scripting, recording audio, etc., frame-by-frame would have me reaching for a shotgun sandwich.

Also Slowtiger, along with Anime Studio Pro, I purchased TVP Animation Pro, and Toon Boom Studio, plus the free Sketchbook Express that came with the Wacom tablet (which is actually pretty cool).

What do you guys recommend for the type of animations I'm interested in creating? I'm blessed with an investor who doesn't care about how much money I spend as long as we can achieve the results were looking for. So all recommendations are welcome. I'm willing to try multiple software in order to find which one works best... for me :)

Jim
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Lucky you. Could that investor finance my next Mac?

I think you've got all software you need (except video editing?), or even more.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I recommend Illustrator and Photoshop, if you don't already have them. I use Photoshop more in conjunction with animation, but I have imported Illustrator files into ASPro, but not that often. I also use ArtRage for various things. It's a "natural media" painting program, dedicated to painting and drawing. Some people use it for creating backgrounds. Some also use Photoshop for painting, but ArtRage already has dedicated painting tools (oils, watercoler, markers, etc.), and it's fairly cheap. If you'll be involved in creating storyboards you may want some software for that. I use Celtx, a free program that has storyboard creation features. I draw the frames in ArtRage, or sometimes Sketchbook Express, and import them into the Celtx storyboard, and then add captions, and you can then print it out or show it as a slide show. Celtx also has a lot of helpful script writing tools (as in dialog, etc., not programming) that are handy if you do that. I don't, so I mainly use the storyboard feature.

Sounds like you're pretty well equipped already, though!

The disconnect between looking at the paper you're drawing on with a pencil, and looking at the screen while drawing down below really is a minor thing. You'll get used to it pretty quickly, I think. Sketchbook Express is a pretty good way to practice that.

Jack
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

slowtiger wrote:Lucky you. Could that investor finance my next Mac?

I think you've got all software you need (except video editing?), or even more.
Lol. I'd love to see some of your work.

What is the most user friendly editing software between: Sony Vegas, Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, or 'other' for editing an animated series?

I'm gonna start with a 2 or 3 min short, then an 11 min episode (Adult Swim length), and finally a 22 min episode (standard television length -- minus commercials).

I'd love to hear any advice on this, as well as my other questions above. I know it comes down to personal preference, but.... but I don't have a preference yet, so all recommendations are welcome. I have a learning curve either way. Ouch.

Thanks everyone -- please continue the flow of information. I love it!

Jim
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

JCook wrote:I recommend Illustrator and Photoshop, if you don't already have them. I use Photoshop more in conjunction with animation, but I have imported Illustrator files into ASPro, but not that often. I also use ArtRage for various things. It's a "natural media" painting program, dedicated to painting and drawing. Some people use it for creating backgrounds. Some also use Photoshop for painting, but ArtRage already has dedicated painting tools (oils, watercoler, markers, etc.), and it's fairly cheap. If you'll be involved in creating storyboards you may want some software for that. I use Celtx, a free program that has storyboard creation features. I draw the frames in ArtRage, or sometimes Sketchbook Express, and import them into the Celtx storyboard, and then add captions, and you can then print it out or show it as a slide show. Celtx also has a lot of helpful script writing tools (as in dialog, etc., not programming) that are handy if you do that. I don't, so I mainly use the storyboard feature.

Sounds like you're pretty well equipped already, though!

The disconnect between looking at the paper you're drawing on with a pencil, and looking at the screen while drawing down below really is a minor thing. You'll get used to it pretty quickly, I think. Sketchbook Express is a pretty good way to practice that.

Jack
Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. Yeah, it seems like everyone uses Photoshop for something or another when animating. Why?

What is Illustrator? I've heard about it a number of times, but what are its benefits.

ArtRage and Celtx sound very cool. I love the printing storyboard idea. But I wonder what the benefit is of just sketching them out on paper. I Storyboard pretty quickly.

How can I post an image of some of my work. Would love for folks here to see them and explain how it would be better for me to use software instead of going free-hand.

As well as a software that may favor my style.

Again, Thanks.

Jim
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

You will need to upload the image to an image hosting site then copy and paste the url between these.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu