The Rumble Fish, Can A.S. create such type of characters?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JDOG82

The Rumble Fish, Can A.S. create such type of characters?

Post by JDOG82 »

Hello all. There is a game called The Rumble Fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSh2n93O ... ata_player
that uses a unique unknown graphics engine that IMO resembles work I have seen on A.S. My question is, does A.S. have the ability to create these type of 2d characters? (well by a skilled artist) And if so could someone explain to me how this is done? Oh and not in detail, just a few sentences please. PS heres a excerpt from a review of the game.

"As I mentioned before, the original Rumble Fish is already availible for the system. The Rumble Fish appeared as an original 2D fighting game for Sammy's arcade Atomiswave platform early last year. It features a unique graphics engine that animates characters by their body joints dubbed the S.M.A Smooth Model Animation Syste. It enables varied graphic changes depending on the situation such as tearing clothes and falling hats. The system also allows backgrounds and graphics to vary to suit battle conditions. Because of this System, this 2D fighting game boasts graphics that allow smooth movement equivalent to that of 3D fighting games. Basically, the best of both worlds, IMO."

Thank you everyone for reading
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Yes

step 1) learn to draw
step 2) open AS
step 3) click around a lot

easy huh?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I wouldn't recommend AS for this style. Looks like it was done in a 3D software.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

funksmaname wrote:Yes

step 1) learn to draw
step 2) open AS

easy huh?
Heh heh...when you put it like that, it is really simple!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
JDOG82

Post by JDOG82 »

Thanks slowtiger for your response.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Looks to me like something that could be done with a bunch of switch layers for different body parts.

Draw the body parts from the different angles that you need, put them in switch layers and link them to bones.

I tried something similar once:

I took it one step further on the torso, originally it was two different pictures (slightly from the front and slightly from the back) but in the gif above I morphed between them to get that smooth movement.

The shoulder pads have not been morphed so they're not as smooth.

The morphing was not done in Anime Studio.

I like the results but it takes a lot of work so it's better suited for videogames where you have short loops of animation.
NightmanGX

Post by NightmanGX »

Ponysmasher is right. This could be mimicked in Anime Studio using switch layers and bones.

Here is an HD video of Rumble Fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmZe9LL09_k

If you look closely you can see how the arms and legs of the characters never change perspective but move smoothly like they are rigged by bones. When the arm, leg, body, or head change perspective, the sprite changes like a switch layer.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

funksmaname wrote:Yes

step 1) learn to draw
step 2) open AS

easy huh?
:lol:
No one can tell you how to create animation in a few sentences (except for funks :) ).

Once again the answer to these "Can AS do such-and-such"-type questions is "Depends. Can you?" The best thing is to research the forum and learn the program. After all, only you know how much mad skills you have to pull it off.

That is awesome work, ponysmasher. :shock:
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

exactly neeters, that's what i was getting at!

And yes - great work ponymasher! just wish you synced the shoulder pad flip with the foot landing since thats a 'pop' anyway it might disguise the transition a little... just my 2c ;)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ponysmasher wrote:Image

I took it one step further on the torso, originally it was two different pictures (slightly from the front and slightly from the back) but in the gif above I morphed between them to get that smooth movement.

The shoulder pads have not been morphed so they're not as smooth.

The morphing was not done in Anime Studio.
A similar effect for the torso could be done with masking or image texture effect. You create an image wider than the actual torso, mask it with the torso (or put it on a vector as a texture) and then move the image from side to side depending of what you want to show. This creates a sensation of turn.
I use it all the time, here are couple simple examples.
I hope to be clear enough.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Selgin: you're truely amazing, again!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I second that... that man is awesome!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

:oops: Thank you guys, I really appreciate your words.

I just hope this techniques be useful for JDOG82, but seems to be he just disappeared.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

who cares - it was a silly question anyway... what i do like is that even a silly question can throw up techniques that got missed previously hehe.
:twisted:
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Yes Selgin your work is Brilliant! :D

As for JD0982...I assumed immediately his post was spam. Why the hell would we want to read a review of the game!!?? :roll: