"Baldy" Tests (TVPaint and Anime Studio hybrid)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

spoooze!

"Baldy" Tests (TVPaint and Anime Studio hybrid)

Post by spoooze! »

So I was thinking today about how much I hate not being able to turn my characters smoothly in 3D space... however, I have now found a solution that works incredibly well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMQgoWq7Z0

How I did it:

I drew all of the rough animation out straight into TVPaint (see video). I drew out all of my major key poses and breakdowns so all that I had left was straight inbetweens.

Then I imported that video into Anime studio and fitted the model over my animation leaving Anime Studio to fill in the rest of the inbetweens.

Yeah, after this I'm not going back to bone animation in a hurry. I'll finish off the projects I have left that use bones but after that... no more bones. I definitely want that "full animation" look from now on instead of cutouts.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Fantastic work.
I have never got in love with bones, what call my attention is frame by frame.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

This is one of the reasons AS really needs a good implementation of frame by frame. Very nice examples.
Sometimes I work just like you, but using Plastic animation paper (which is free for windows and makes an awesome job).
Anyway, I don't agree about not using bones anymore. You can easily get this look using bones and point motion. If you mark your keys and use well the rotation, position and scale of the bones you get the same quality in a fraction of time. I think it's not a war between points and bones, it's about how to get quality as fast as possible.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

Thanks for sharing this test! It's awesome and shows the potential of combining frame by frame with auto-tweening.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I think you have preserved the spontaneity of the rough sketches pretty well with this technique. Let's see more!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Huge step up over the cutouts spooze. Shocking.

I use AS the same way you do, "rotoscoping" over my fbf roughs. You get the best of both worlds, AS's shape tween/morphing and traditional fbf. Although with complicated shape transitions I lean more towards fbf than tween.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hey, that's a big improvement!

Since when do you have TVPaint? Nice to see others working with the same combination.