Follow Path as a pseudo bone

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Follow Path as a pseudo bone

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I was playing with follow path tool and got the idea it can be used as a pseudo bone.
I don't know how it could be useful yet, but it has different proprieties to bones, so there has to be at least one useful application.

Check this file
http://www.mediafire.com/?js194fr8d9do43g
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, I know this thread wasn't too popular, but yesterday I discovered a fantastic use for this pseudo bones.
In a spot we are making, I have to animate this machine
As you can see, the arms are made by several squared shapes. Using bones normally it's very hard to get a nice curve and movement. A squared brush didn't work well neither.
So, I created a straight line made of squares and, using Follow Path, I attached it to a path. Then I used bones to animate the path. It worked wonderfully smooth.
Please, check the anem file here (7.1)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/AS7/machine.anme

PD: you can see an animated test in flash HERE.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Looks real good! It's great to have someone like you, selgin, really pushing this stuff!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hi selgin,
it is a very smart feature. I have a question though.
The squares are attached (follow path) to a path and the path is bended by a bone. So, each individual square is not affected by any bone, just rotated and translated to be placed following a bone handled path... So, why are some squares stretched in one of its side?
I can't load the sample file right now.
-G
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Genete wrote:Hi selgin,
The squares are attached (follow path) to a path and the path is bended by a bone. So, each individual square is not affected by any bone, just rotated and translated to be placed following a bone handled path... So, why are some squares stretched in one of its side?
-G
Hi genete,
thank you. The squares are stretched because follow path is being used with alt in keyboard, so the layer is bended to the path. It's only one layer by arm, that layer contains the row of squares. The whole layer is bended to the path. It's a whole new world because this let you create "curved bones" (made with the path), something impossible in normal way of rigging.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Nice trick, funny how ASP makes me more and more think of a 3d application.

On a side note, got a hold of your new head turn technique yesterday and I am having a blast with it, also great stuff, keep em coming! :)

Thanks lad!

Poopee
Genete

Post by Genete »

selgin wrote:
Genete wrote:Hi selgin,
-G
Hi genete,
thank you. The squares are stretched because follow path is being used with alt in keyboard, so the layer is bended to the path. It's only one layer by arm, that layer contains the row of squares. The whole layer is bended to the path. It's a whole new world because this let you create "curved bones" (made with the path), something impossible in normal way of rigging.
Great feature! Thanks for the info selgin!
-G
winknotes

side note

Post by winknotes »

Selgin,

Do you follow cycling at all? Movistar is the leading team in the Giro d'Italia right now.

Sorry to stray off topic.
Steve Winkler

Anime Studio Pro 6.2
Windows 7 64-bit
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Jahnocli, thanks for your nice words. I only try to contribute to this fantastic communtity.
Poopee, I'm glad you like that both techniques. I hope to get a simpler way to get the head turn someday, that scripted and masked head still more comple than I would like.
Winknotes, I cycle from house to my work and vice versa, but nothing too serious. I had to google the Giro d'Italia, sorry :oops:
(Anyway, I know movistar is a huge spanish multinational telephonic company with no good labor practices -as all the multinationals I know-, so it's not too glorious to animate for them :roll:)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

selgin, I downloaded the AS file you posted but I can't figure out how to make the 'follow path' tool work. The Help section doesn't say how to draw a path. When I click on the path tool nothing happens.
Cheers, Larry
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

wow, this is interesting... hurting my head a bit but its like discovering new posibilities (i've never used the follow path tool, and wasn't aware you can alt click to 'bend' to it... going to experiment!)

here's a quick test

I wonder if this can bridge the gap between onionskinnings double stroke limbs technique with using actual shapes... need to experiment more... :)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Time to go fishing! :)

Follow path could be used for a fishing rod and wire action, could be a cool test for ya and your wormy! :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I just thought in another use. You can create complex "brushstrokes" using follow path. Since normal brushes are just an image repeated many times, you can get very interesting effects having a long brushtroke.
Just create a layer and draw an horizontal long brushstroke the way you want. Draw a line with some points in another layer. Then link the brushstroke layer to the path (with follow path tool and alt+click).
Again, the advantage is you control a very complex shape moving only a few points.
Check the anme file here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/AS8/forum ... troke.anme
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I've got my head around how this works a bit, and it won't really work for rigging limbs - it seems the number and position of points don't matter as much as the overall shape of the target line... so it's great for shaping anything that is a 'line' based set of objects like the examples above, but won't be much use in character rigging as far as i can tell :)

keep on experimenting Selgin
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

Shame it won't work for limbs... seems like a candidate to do 'rubber hose' type animation...