Lighting.

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nichod

Lighting.

Post by Nichod »

I haven't completely explored the latest version of Moho, but did a search and browsed the documentation and didn't see anything similar to this. I think a lighting option in Moho could greatly enhance it. Now I'm not talking a 3D effect, but a light sphere, and a light cone option similar to lighting effects in Photoshop and other photoeditors. It could work as a filter like Photoshop, or interactively lighten and darken the colors within a radius. I can picture it functioning by dragging the layers you want effected by the light as a child of the light. Just an idea.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
cribble

Re: Lighting.

Post by cribble »

I think this idea was brought up before and hasn't realy seen the light of day yet. I think its a good idea personally and wouldn't mind seeing the feature, its just that i would probably never use it.
--Scott
cribble.net
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Really? Do you use photoshop? I find that the lighting effects in photoshop are an excellent tool. I don't see how you couldn't see yourself using a similar function in Moho. What reasons do you think would you not use it?
cribble

Post by cribble »

I've used Photoshop only a handful of times, so i'm not that an experienced user of the program, although i see why the lighting controls can be useful for certain types of effects or ambience. But when i animate, i tend to make the characters quite bold looking with some minor shading (done with vectors mostly-makes it easier to control and animate), so the lighting control would be useless for me.

But supposed you can use this tool on certain layers, like a group layer, and everything in that layer is affected by the lighting control. This would give backgrounds more depth and a better feel. And say you were trying to create a certain effect where a character steps out of the shadows, lighting controls would be useful there aswell.

But the main issue is having this feature and not being able to export this to web, as i tend to animate more for the web and make sacrifices in order to make it web compatable so i end up not using half of MoHo's features.
--Scott
cribble.net
myles

Post by myles »

Hello Brian,

I don't use Photoshop, so I'm not sure I'm thinking of the same thing (I have used a lighting tool in another image manipulation program, but I'm not sure it has the same effect).

Any chance you could post an example or two of images before and after the lighting tool is applied? (I'm particularly interested in seeing how it applies to cartoon-style images)

I'm wondering if the effect could possibly be duplicated using (existing) layer blending.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I think it could with layers and some masking. Just looking for a slicker and faster solution. I'll post some examples when I get home tomorrow morning on how it works and how I'd like to see it work. (might be evening..will need some sleep after 12 hours of work :D )

Brian