Problems making Holes in Shapes

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

Problems making Holes in Shapes

Post by Peteroid »

AS7PRO here.

I'm starting to think the PDF manual is written for the Mac interface, and that there are slight differences with the Windows version. I'm using Win 7 Premium 64-bit. I'm using the manual that came with product... is there a corrected version downloadable on-line (I know of at least a half dozen errors by page 50, the beginning tutorial section)?

OK. In the manual it says create a closed shape. Then create another closed shape... this one drawn on top of and entirely contained in the first shape. All in same layer.

Then, select both shapes with the 'Create Shape' tool, and press the space bar. This is suppose to make the second shape become a hole of the second shape.

But it doesn't. So I suspect this is not the correct instructions (I have found other examples in the tutorials where the method was incorrect, at least for the Windows version).

So, how exactly is a shape with a hole in it created?

Thanks in advance! :)
[==Peter==]
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

you need to have all points selected when you use the create shape. I find the easiest way is to use the select point tool in lasso mode. Also, having auto fill, off. This way, you don't have to remove any unwanted fill from the hole.
Last edited by jonbo on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

lasso would be the fastest way but you can also do it this way if lasso picks up too many points.

Click on the outer shapes edge with the create shape tool while holding the shift key down then while still holding the shift key down click on all the interior shape edges that you do not want in the shape.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

jonbo wrote:you need to have all points selected when you use the create shape. I find the easiest way is to use the select point tool in lasso mode. Also, having auto fill, off. This way, you don't have to remove any unwanted fill from the hole.
I am selecting all the points. I do this. I create a red square. I then create a blue star entirely inside of red square (on top of from a priority point of view). I then lasso all the points.. they all are selected... what I see is the part which I want to be the POSITIVE (non-hole) space IS selected... the 'hole' space (star area) looks 'unselected' but is still blue.

I then hit 'space' (not sure how to turn off auto-fill, so it fills blue). I end up with a shape that is a blue square with a blue star inside of it... the star is NOT a hole!

So, I still have not been able to create a shape with a hole in it.
[==Peter==]
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

neeters_guy wrote:This might help:
newbie problem: making fill shape with hole
Yeah, that did it. I didn't know how to turn auto-fill off (it has to be turned off when creating the 'hole' shape)... thanks everyone! :)

Here's the thing that the manual should say:

You can't ADD a hole to an existing Shape... if you want a hole in a shape you have to add it when you FIRST create the shape. Once ANY fill has been applied to the shape, adding holes is no longer possible...

I'd like to be wrong about the above.... am I? :)
[==Peter==]
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

yes you're wrong. You can add holes to existing shapes easily even if the auto fill is left on. If you've created a hole using the create shape, you can use the delete shape tool on the hole to remove the fill.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I can't speak for the new manual, but in the 5.6 Tutorials section the manual definitely states exactly that:

"So a fill shape is defined by the curves on its border. If we want to create a hole, then all we need to do is create curves that outline the shape of the desired hole(s). Below we've added some extra curves before creating a fill shape"
~Danimal
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

Danimal wrote:I can't speak for the new manual, but in the 5.6 Tutorials section the manual definitely states exactly that:

"So a fill shape is defined by the curves on its border. If we want to create a hole, then all we need to do is create curves that outline the shape of the desired hole(s). Below we've added some extra curves before creating a fill shape"
Yes, indeed it says this. Now that I know how it works, I can see this is accurate.

But examine this from a person's perspective that is using this as his or her FIRST source of info on how to use this. It is important to realize that when a newbie (such as myself) goes through a tutorial, we don't know what steps are ESSENTIAL and what steps are just the way the tutorial goes for THIS EXAMPLE.

Now, in the above quote, I have emphasized a step that was said very matter of fact in small (in the original text) and NOT bolded text.

I had no idea when first reading this that 'before creating a fill shape' is an ESSENTIAL step. How was I suppose to know there would be complications if the auto-fill was turned on, or if I filled the shape first? It doesn't say:

Warning: it is best to do this BEFORE you fill the shape.

As a 'student' reader, we can't assume every step is essential, we rely on the authors to emphasize what is important.

Now, as to creating a hole AFTER the shape is filled. Here is the ESSENTIAL element I missed till I found it accidentally... yes you can 'Delete Shape' the hole out of a shape with a hole that was created with a fill, but for some reason I have to click on the 'hole' TWICE (i.e., delete it TWICE) to create the hole!

THAT kind of detail missing is what costs time going through tutorials! :)
[==Peter==]
stringevil

Post by stringevil »

I had the exact same misunderstanding of the manual. Now that I've done it, the wording makes sense, the first time through however it was confusing.