meltedtoons

ASPro 7 for 10 bucks?

Post by meltedtoons »

Check it out amazon is selling AS7Pro for 9.99 Canadian

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003NS5 ... d_i=915398

might be an error
gleeful

Post by gleeful »

I just tried to purchase ASP 7 for $9.99 Canadian in the Amazon listing.

Unfortunately it can only be shipped within Canada :cry:
What if?
eok

Post by eok »

Weird. Canadians can buy it for 10 bucks.

To kind of add insult to injury: After a quick web search, I see anyone in the US can buy AS 7 Pro for 129 bucks through Amazon. That's the same as the "upgrade price" SM offered owners of the previous version.

Guess I'll wait until AS 7 Pro drops to 10 bucks in the US too. After all, that's the lesson SM seems to want us to learn (i.e.: don't shell out for a pricey upgrade - just wait a quarter or two until it's ridiculously cheap).
---
eok
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

Now what I feel most surprising is that it was 10 bucks ever since last week. At first I thought it was an error, but now I can see it's intentional. Although I do live in Canada I am not purchasing AS7Pro because of the glitches reported on the forum. Might as well wait until AS8Pro comes out.
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

I have contacted Smith Micro for clarification.
I got the reply.

Thank you for contacting Support. We do not set the prices our resellers offer products for, nor do we match prices from resellers. I suspect that this may be a typo.

John Csaky | Customer/Tech Support
Smith Micro Software, Inc. | www.smithmicro.com
crsP

Post by crsP »

It looks like a typo, considering the are selling the older versions for a lot more. I would get it at this price. I'd buy that for a dollar.
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

Dam, they corrected the price back to 174.99

still cheaper than smith micro
crsP

Post by crsP »

Why "Dam"? You said earlier that you weren't going to purchase it, even at this fantastic price! You missed your chance there buddy - just recently Apple accidently put the wrong prices on their new mac minis for the Thailand market. Even though it was a typo, they did honour that price to anyone who had purchased during the error. Given that was a recent event, I'm sure that, even if Amazon didn't want to honour the deal, if you kicked up enough fuss [to trading standards] they would have to relent. Heck, if I knew you personally I would have asked you to buy a copy for me at that price. Even with postage, it would still have been a bargain!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Yeah, I can purchase the ASP upgrade for $129 or I can purchase the ToonBoom Studio upgrade for $79. Now that TBS is going to have bones too, I'm glad I waited and refused to pay the ridiculous upgrade price Smith Micro has set.

I do like the new 3D import but I like the ability to import artwork from other programs better.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Yes, the initial cost of Toon Boom Studio is Higher than that of Anime Studio, but the 'cost of ownership' i.e. upgrades are cheaper with TBS. Also many people on here refer to all Toon Boom's range of software as Toon Boom or TB. So when they compare to AS, they always talk about the price of Animate, yet call it TB. Very odd.

Even with the bones [which we don't fully know it's capabilities yet], there is still a separation between TBS and ASP. And the old saying still rings true that TBS is better for those who like drawing and ASP for those who enjoy the more technical aspects such as rigging.

ASP continues to develop towards the technical computer animation side, now with dynamics, and this move from TBS is only baby-steps into an area which Moho has previously covered.

But yeah, the import\export of TBS is superior to ASP. One major faux-pas I see in ASP is that, despite being able to export to SWF, it cannot import those very files. Even having that as an import option would allow for a good transition between TBS and ASP, or even Flash and ASP. Considering ASP's superiority in point animation over those two, and deficiencies in frame-by-frame, having vectored keyframes coming into ASP would be a joy.