_tool_list help please

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sbtamu

_tool_list help please

Post by sbtamu »

I like the tool selgin posted about two way ticket to zero it will be real usefull to me. I downloaded and unzipped the file to scripts/tools. I did a you tube search and a forum search on how to move that into the _tool_list notepad but couldn't find a tutorial.

Can someone please post a link to a tutorial for this?

Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

I believe you just open "tool_list" (from the scripts/tool folder) with a text editor and add the name of the file within the group you'd like the tool to appear e.g.:

group Other
tool Selgin's_tool ...

This'll make more sense once you open "tool_list".
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, here is how it works.

There are four kinds of scripts
Menu, button, tool and layer

A menu script is which will appear on Script menu on the top main Anime Studio window. Once you clicked it, it will do his work automatically or will appear a popup window offering you some options before pressing OK.

A button script works just like a menu script (and actually, are equals), but the difference is that a button script is "installed" on the tool palette and you have the option to give it a shortcut. So, once you press the shortcut, it will do his work or will offer you some options before pressing OK.

A tool script must be installed on tool palette too. The difference between this and a button is that the tool doesn't make the work immediately when you click it. Clicking it means you are selecting the tool to work with it. A tool can have a shortcut too.
For example, on the tool palette, Insert text is a button. It offers you some options and once you click ok, the work is done.
Add points is a tool. Once you click it, you are selecting it to work, then you make the work of adding points in the way you want.

A layer script is a script you embed in a specific layer. It must be safe on the same folder of the project you are working (similar to when you import an image). To embed a script to a layer you must go to the proprieties of the layer and in General tab check "embedded script file" and then select the script you want.

Ok, with that idea in mind, let's see how to install a button script.

First, you copy the script on the folder "tool"
C:\Program Files\Anime Studio Pro 7\scripts\tool (in my case)
Maybe the script has more files, like an icon and a cursor in png format. Copy them on the same tool folder, at least they have specific instructions of doing on another place.

Now open the text file "_tool_list.txt", which is inside the same "tool" folder.
It's a text visualization of your tool palette. You will see it's separated by groups: draw, fill, bone, layer, etc.
All the tools and buttons you are using are wrote there. So, to add our new button we have to write his name in some of the groups.
You must write the name of the script without the ".lua" extension.
so you write "button", then press tab, "DR_two_way_ticket_frame0", tab again, and the shortcut you want to add for this tool (K in the example)

Code: Select all

button	DR_two_way_ticket_frame0	K
Be sure that the "K" shortcut not being used by other tool or button.
If you don't want a shortcut, wrote "..." instead "K".

for example, I have added it to the group Workspace, so now it looks like this

Code: Select all

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Workspace=Workspace")
tool	lm_pan_workspace	...
tool	lm_zoom_workspace	...
tool	lm_rotate_workspace	8
tool	lm_orbit_workspace	9
button	DR_two_way_ticket_frame0	K
Now, save the changes you made on "_tool_list.txt", close Anime Studio (if it was opened) and open it again.
You will see your new button completely working on the tool palette.

I hope it be clear enough and don't look to tricky. It's actually very easy when you get it.

PD: You can create new groups too. Just use the native ones as example.
PD2: If you copy a script on the tool folder without changing the "_tool_list.txt" file, AS will automatically will think that the script is a tool (and not a button) and will create a group called "other" on the tool palette.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

WOOT, thanks selgin, a few things I was doing wrong you cleared up. The instructions that came with the script said this (below). I do not have a place named "other" and it confused me. Also I accidentally deleted some of the text but I opened AS6 file and managed to copy what I erased.

Again thanks as it works for me now and this will save my finger from hrs of using the mouse wheel.

An old dog can learn new tricks!

"Two Way Ticket to Frame 0. version 0.3 Date:2008-10-01 Download

Have you ever found yourself in the position that you needs to go back to frame 0 to fix something and when you have you completely forgot where you were?
Well, fear no more, install this script and whenever you needs to fix something press your selected button and you are moved to frame 0. When you are done you just press the same button again and are automatically moved to the frame you started at.

Installation: Download and unzip in your >scripts>tool folder.

Then open _tool_list.txt located in the tool folder.

I suggest installing this script either into the "Other" section of the tool-palette or adding a new group called Navigation. To do this either add the following line to the end of the file _tool_list.txt;

button DR_two_way_ticket_frame0 Y

or add the following lines;

group Navigation
color 204 220 232 255
button DR_two_way_ticket_frame0 Y

(Y is the hotkey, you can set this to whatever key you want, J, K, O and Y is by default not mapped to any tool).
Save _tool_list.txt and refresh Moho (ctrl+F5).

Note; Currently the framenumber in the little square at top left of the Timeline panel doesn't update when you transfer to frame 0 but as soon as you go back or scrub the timeline it's back to normal."
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu