Registration - "Serial could not be saved"

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Alliat

Registration - "Serial could not be saved"

Post by Alliat »

I can't seem to register my copy of ASD7. I keep getting an error:

"Your serial number could not be saved.
Be sure to run Anime Studio as an administrative user when entering your serial number."

I only have one user on this machine and of course that user is an administrative user... Please don't tell me I have to create a root account.

This error is followed by another error that states that I have not entered the correct serial number, but I've tried both copy-paste from the email Smith Micro sent me and I've also tried inputting it myself letter by letter, always the same result.

I've searched this forum but the only guy posting a similar problem that I found was posting off topic in a thread and got ignored. :/

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 with 1 GB RAM.
Alliat

Post by Alliat »

Smith Micro support helped me solve this.

Apparently this error comes because my admin account didn't have write permissions in the Machintosh HD - Library - Application Support folder.

For others that may find this error the causes can be:

a) you're not logged in as an admin - log in as admin and the problem is solved.

b) you're running on an upgraded OS - migrated from Tiger (10.4) to Leopard (10.5) or from Leopard (10.5) to Snow Leopard (10.6) or you've installed a fresh copy of OS X/got it installed on your new computer and imported the library folder from an older installation which causes this permissions error.
To fix: locate the applications support folder within the library folder that rests directly on Machintosh HD (not the one in the users - "User Name" folder)
click on it and press CMD-i to bring up the info window (cmd is the key that's on the both sides of the space bar)
On the bottom of that window you can see the permissions, if it says "read only" you've located the source of your problems.
adjust the permissions by by clicking on the "read only" on the right where it says admin and select "read and write" and you're done! :)
-Note that to change the read/write permissions in the info window you may have to click the small lock icon in the bottom right of the window.

If Application Support folder has read write access and the problem persists, try checking the library folder in which the Applications support folder resides and give write permissions there if needed.
Amadeus

Re: Registration - "Serial could not be saved"

Post by Amadeus »

After installing Anime Studio 9 appeared the same problem. The message:

"Your serial number could not be saved.
Be sure to run this app as an administrative user when entering your serial number."

but I'm running Windows 7 on PC
Anime Studio is run as administrator.
murlidhar108

Post by murlidhar108 »

Same thing happening here but on windows 10. I opened the main program as administrator so I have no idea what could be going on, maybe some service is missing? please help
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think you're out of luck. Anime Studio 9 came out about 10 years ago and it's no longer supported. The former owner Smith Micro shut down their ASP license server a few years ago. The earliest Smith Micro version that can be activated today is Anime Studio 10 and you need to use the 'final version' installer from this page...

https://my.smithmicro.com/

Look under the Moho 12 button for versions ASP 10, ASP 11. and Moho 12. Moho 13.0 was the last version supported by Smith Micro. You can probably find old versions of Moho that work with these installers but be aware that Lost Marble (Moho's current owners) will only recognize upgrading from Moho 12 (paid upgrade) and 13 (free upgrade). It's better to just buy a new license from Lost Marble.

Lost Marble became Moho's new owner with the release of Moho 13.5 in April of last year. The current version is Moho 13.5.5.

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Whoops...I just realized that Amadeus' post is from 2012, so hopefully he found a solution a long time ago. The info in my post is still accurate though. :D

@murlidhar108, which version of Moho are you using?

If it's ASP 10, 11, 12, or 13.0, get the 'final' installer as explained above.

If you're using Moho 13.5.x, make sure you using the latest version 13.5.5 available from the Lost Marble website. If you still have trouble, post again and describe exactly what's happening.

Hope this helps.