Simple fog

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

00moa00

Simple fog

Post by 00moa00 »

:idea: What do you think about having a new option on project property to set fog color and distance and on the layer property a checkbox to activate or deactivate fog for this one.... :?:

I think it's just a very little work to add this function but a great improvement (for me) :D
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I AAALWAYS have supported this "Feature Request" and I shall go on supporting it! :arrow: My VOTES again!!
00moa00

Post by 00moa00 »

Ah! Ramón... always agree with me, i'm so happy, i think i'll cry.....:cry:
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

You're not the first requesting that and not the last...Yes, some kind of Z-distance drop-off feature, fade to color or something like that. That said, that might be quite difficult, it's already difficult for Moho to look at the depth position, if you change the center point of a layer you can get unexpected results in some cases.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...TRUE!!! I think that the way that Moho treats Z depth for layers is not the best way (except for 3D objects) to do it... I'm asking for a change in this a long time ago, yes... because Z depth order/position is a very important thing that must work fine to do the things :arrow: RIGHT!
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

If I may, I'll couple a past request on top of this that may help some.

Z-buffer render. I'm pretty sure Moho uses a z-buffer to define rendering in 3d. It would be great to get that info out, then you could use it in your favorite compositing program to do fog, and depth of field effects.

What I would really love is a z-depth renderer that actually put out a grayscale image rather than a z-depth file. You wouldn't need a very complex compositing suite to be able to take advantage of it.

Here's as I see it for the benefits and minuses for the end user of supporting a z-buffer renderer (minus of course LM's programming time):

The benefits:
-Less rendering time (including not needing to re-render if it's everything else is cool but DOF or fog needs tweaking)
-More control
-Some packages would support 3d compositing (thus eliminating complex layering in many circumstances)

Drawbacks:
-You need a compositing program
-Need to render two passes (unless Moho can support a file type that supports z-depth)
________
Digital Vaporizers
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

If you were rendering layers individually, it wouldn't be that hard to export Z data . Otherwise it would be pretty useless. But the Z distance data on layers is easily accessible, wouldn't be hard to send it out in a way that would be interpretable by other programs. The other option is to create a keyframed transparency mask for each layer (maybe better by blending mode if there was a "%" option)(only groups?) that would track the camera distance. That would have to work on layer order, 'cause they would all build on each other.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

7feet wrote:If you were rendering layers individually, it wouldn't be that hard to export Z data . Otherwise it would be pretty useless.
I'm not sure how it's useless. Many compositing apps can take advantage of z-depth for effects like depth of field and fog. Both of which are much easier to work with in 2d than to actually tweak and render it out in 3d. All without having to render separate layers.

Also, if an image could easily be converted to a "z-depth grayscale" as opposed to using an actual z-depth channel, you could use it in conjunction with a "levels" type plug-in as a mask for effects like blur, thus creating a poor man's depth of field at significant savings in tweaking and rendering time.

And since Moho doesn't offer fog, or convenient DOF tools, I'd hardly consider it useless.
But the Z distance data on layers is easily accessible, wouldn't be hard to send it out in a way that would be interpretable by other programs.
Awesome.
________
VAPIR NO2
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Okay, I was tired and talking out of my depth. As I'm working generally within the realm of scripting, I would use that method. Convert all shapes in a project to a specific shade of gray (fill and outline) dependant on the distance from the camera, and then render normally. Drop in some chunks of the SOS script code to deal with 3D objects. A little more work, but the render time shouldn't be too much of a hindrance as all the shape and layer effects would be turned off. That's one option. As dead broke as I am (I hate getting screwed on jobs) if anyone want's to hire me to develop specific scripts, I'm entirely open. Just had to say that, but I'm still going to implement most stuff for the public if I think it's particularly handy. For some strange reason I enjoy it. But paying the rent is a Good Thing. Not to mention eating... Hey! Why'd the lights go out?

Okay, Z distance grayscale render next, I think. Would be a nice addition.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

HELLO! :) And... yes, I know... I'm always recovering older and off-topic Feature Requests... well, but I've been reading again this one and I've could not avoid it... The first question is, exporting thay "grey scale" version of the file, and then combining/mixing them in, lets say, After Effects or Combustion, I could take benefits in example of LIGHTING :idea: ??? With "real" proyection of shadows perhaps? And (a very important thing) WITHOUT the necessity of exporting layers separately?? :shock: WOW! I ALWAYS have desired/wished something like this, but I always have knew that Moho "never" will offer advanced light features (or not for now at least :cry: ) and I always have had to be so repressed in this aspect and, well... If finally this solution could make possible this kind of 3D post-control... :arrow: I'll KILL for it!

PS: THANKS! 8)