Workspace tip in AS 6

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Workspace tip in AS 6

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, with the new dockable windows it's so easy to organize the workspace just with some shortcuts
I have edited the string file (you can found file and instructions here) to add and modify all the menu shortcuts I want. So my windows menu is like this:

First, we have the normal window

When you be animating you won't need the style window too much, so you can undock with Control+] it and drag it to the right most you can (look at the screenshot, at right you can see a little part of the style window). All the vertical space now will be for layer window. If you want it back, just dock it again Control+]. You can dock and undock all the time.

If you are drawing, you don't need the timeline, so you can undock it Control+[and drag it to the right. When you be animating, Just dock it again Control+[.

Maybe you know most useful tool shortcuts and don't need much the tools window when drawing or animating. The same, just undock it (Control+T in my case), drag it to right and dock again when you want Control+T.

Ok, finally, maybe you want all the workspace for drawing. Undock all windows (Control+L to dock/undock the layers panel in my case). It's great when you have to draw on a single layer.

So, as a resume, you just need to drag to the right the undocked windows one time. Once you have all the undocked windows positioned in right you just play with the shortcuts

PD: Drag to the right the windows is similar to close it, but not the same. Actually, if you close a window, this tip doesn't work the same: instead having the shortcut working as dock/undock it works as open undocked/dock/undock in the last place/dock...
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Cool!

After reading your post, I thought what'd be rad, for someone like me who's working with 2 monitors - a macbook pro and a cintiq, is if the main window could be cloned and dragged over to the other monitor to have a full screen view of the main window stage.

That'd be super neat.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Mikdog wrote:After reading your post, I thought what'd be rad, for someone like me who's working with 2 monitors - a macbook pro and a cintiq, is if the main window could be cloned and dragged over to the other monitor to have a full screen view of the main window stage.

That'd be super neat.
Oh, yes, that would be very cool. I often use the division screen button on AS (side by side view button, at bottom of main window) to animate details as pupils. On one side I zoom in one eye to move precisely the pupil and on the other side I zoom back and see where exactly is the character looking. It's very useful for complex characters, plus you can change the display quality on each side, so on the zoomed in view you can have activated the paths and in the zoomed back view you can have them deactivated. Very very useful.
What I mean is if you would have a cloned main window you could have this kind of preview always working on one monitor. That would be sweet.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Cooooooooooooool! Ya, the divisible views are good, but I think the split screen mode on a dual-monitor setup would be styling. How hard i it to set this kind of thing up? I'd imagine a script or something'd be needed? Let me just program some LUA code. Jokes, I have no idea how that works.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I don't think this could be made with lua. Maybe an external program could clone an application, but it still being hard something like that exists. I mean, you want to clone only the main window, not all AS application.

What you could do, I think, is to divide in two the AS window -using side by side- and expand it horizontally through both monitors. The menus bar will be divided on both monitors and you will have to undock tools and timeline (if your preview monitor is on left). Doesn't sound as cool as clone the window, but it's a step.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I don't think it'd be toooooo hard. (says the n00b)

Still, what I'm after is a full-size window on the left monitor and the regular workspace on the right, working monitor, still with the ability to move, scale and manipulate objects with whatever tool I have in the preview window. I think that'd be awesome. Similar to the kind of setup some people have with Photoshop. Rad.

I get your workaround but I'm not even gonna try it. Bit too fiddly for me, though my mind did kind of go there.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I put it in 'feature requests'
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Mikdog wrote:I don't think it'd be toooooo hard. (says the n00b)

Still, what I'm after is a full-size window on the left monitor and the regular workspace on the right, working monitor, still with the ability to move, scale and manipulate objects with whatever tool I have in the preview window. I think that'd be awesome. Similar to the kind of setup some people have with Photoshop. Rad.
I'm wondering if there might be a possibility to get this using third party software. There is definitely software that can clone what is happening on one PC to one or more other PC's on a network. The technique you describe is also very common for software development where the running program is shown full screen on one monitor while the development tools, debugger, and source code appear on the other screen.
I think a utility app can "spy" on one window that Anime studio is displaying, even if at a small size, and reproduce that in another window. There is some public domain software that does something like this for the entire window, maybe it supports specific windows within an app.

http://www.uvnc.com/

Also, some fancy graphics cards with multi-monitor support might have applets to do this. Perhaps your Cintiq comes with an applet?
Try a Cintiq forum as well.

Please let us know if you get a useful solution.
arfa

Post by arfa »

I follow how shortcuts are set using Anime Studio Pro.strings but can't fathom the difference between:
/Menus/Window/Actions=ActionsK - which shows as ctrl+K
and
/Menus/Window/Library=LibraryL - which shows as ctrl+shift+L

I am a big hotkey user and being able to designate ctrl+? and ctrl+shift+? would increase the range of letter use __ if I could get this bit sussed.

edit___
I just looked at /Menus/Edit/Redo=RedoZ
and /Menus/Edit/Undo=UndoZ
? ? ? I am sure there is a simple answer but it has me beat for now :?
thanks - arfa
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I don't know either how to configure shortcuts for control+shift, but if someone has an answer it would be very cool.

Anyway, I don't know if someone else found useful this tip, personally I can't live without this workspace shortcuts. It's just ideal to work on my tablet.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I had limited success. I made the following changes to the strings file and the Ctrl U, Ctrl Y toggle the windows, but now:

Select Tracing Image... shows "Ctrl + ."

and

Show Tracing Image...shows "Ctrl + e"

I didn't set that, as you see below:

/Menus/View/SelectTracingImage=Select Tracing Image...
/Menus/View/ShowOutputOnly=Show Output OnlyJ
/Menus/View/ShowTracingImage=Show Tracing Image
/Menus/View/VideoSafeZones=Video Safe ZonesF
/Menus/View/View=View
/Menus/Window/Actions=ActionsK
/Menus/Window/Layers=LayersY
/Menus/Window/Library=Library
/Menus/Window/Style=Style]
/Menus/Window/Timeline=Timeline[
/Menus/Window/Tools=ToolsU
joelstoryboards.com - (WinXP SP3, ASP 6.1)
tonym

Post by tonym »

selgin wrote:Anyway, I don't know if someone else found useful this tip, personally I can't live without this workspace shortcuts.
Thanks for this tip, selgin! Your tip about how to quickly hide the style window and expand the layers window simultaneously is awesome.
HowlingAbandon

Re: Workspace tip in AS 6

Post by HowlingAbandon »

Does MoHo allow for panels to be custom arranged like in ADOBE programs (illustrator, photoshop, premiere, etc.)?

I'm new to MoHo and running 13.5

I'm loving it but a few quirks are iritating like workspaces... I open the "new workspace" menu option and it says there are no workspaces available...

Any clues anyone?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

HowlingAbandon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:39 pm Does MoHo allow for panels to be custom arranged like in ADOBE programs (illustrator, photoshop, premiere, etc.)?
No, the windows are not really dockable like in some modern apps. FWIW, I prefer to keep the Tools, Action and Style windows undocked. This leaves maximum vertical space available to the Layers window, which you're going to want if you use a lot of layers like I do.

Then I hide any windows I'm not using, and open them only when I need to. This is easy to do with my MQC buttons panel found here: MQC for Moho Pro
(Win only.) With this panel, I can toggle the most commonly used windows by tapping the button for it.*

I have more Moho workspace optimization tips here...

Better Default Settings for Moho Pro

Hope this helps.

*If you have a Mac and a Wacom tablet, you can mostly do the same using the tablet's OSC program. My MQC panel is basically just sending custom shortcuts to Moho, and there are only a couple of simple scripts that OSC can't replicate. Otherwise, a panel like MQC can be easily recreated for Mac using a program similar to Auto Hotkey.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowlingAbandon

Post by HowlingAbandon »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:01 pm No, the windows are not really dockable like in some modern apps. FWIW, I prefer to keep the Tools, Action and Style windows undocked. This leaves maximum vertical space available to the Layers window, which you're going to want if you use a lot of layers like I do.

Then I hide any windows I'm not using, and open them only when I need to. This is easy to do with my MQC buttons panel found here: MQC for Moho Pro
(Win only.) With this panel, I can toggle the most commonly used windows by tapping the button for it.*

I have more Moho workspace optimization tips here...

Better Default Settings for Moho Pro

Hope this helps.

*If you have a Mac and a Wacom tablet, you can mostly do the same using the tablet's OSC program. My MQC panel is basically just sending custom shortcuts to Moho, and there are only a couple of simple scripts that OSC can't replicate. Otherwise, MQC can be easily recreated for Mac using a program similar to Auto Hotkey.
Wow! Thanks Greenlaw! Much appreciated.

Also, I'm having trouble with the "new workspace" function in the Maint Menue... When I click "new workspace" the dialogue box in the popup shows nothing and sais "no workspaces available" but if I click on the "show workspaces folder" there are plenty of workspaces...

Any Idea why it's doing this? I'm running window 1O MoHo 13.5 BTW.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. Thank you again Greenlaw!