Is a Cintiq 12 much better than a Tablet PC (TX2510)?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ruibjr

Is a Cintiq 12 much better than a Tablet PC (TX2510)?

Post by ruibjr »

I like the new freehnd tool a lot, n am willing to buy tablet pc or a cintiq 12.
But I've read on this forum that tablet feel little weird, wwith slipper screens, pens that are to big and don't let you see what you are drawing, etc...
So, I was thinking... i the cntiq 12 much better?
Thanks,
Rui
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

I see no one has replied to this thread yet so I thought I'd add my perspective.
Each solution comes with its own pro's and con's:

A tablet PC is a very interesting solution as it basically creates a portable studio that you can take anywhere. The tradeoffs are that the screen resolution may not be as high as a Wacom tablet and there's definitely no pressure sensitivity, just the ability to track your finger or stylus across the screen.

A Cintiq needs a computer in order to operate. In other words, the Cintiq is like a high end monitor that you can draw on. It is designed to be laid flat on a surface, your lap, or angled on a table in order to draw on. It offers alot of features including the ability to set up hot buttons and of course pressure sensitivity. Everyone I know who's been able to afford one and made the purchase has been extremely happy with it as it truly mimics the pen on paper paradigm.

So, if you want something truly portable and a one piece of technology solution, then a tablet PC might be what you want. However, if you don't mind having a Cintiq tethered to your computer, it is truly a liberating and fun experience.

Personally, I'm very happy to use my EeePc along with an inexpensive drawing tablet. It's both portable and pretty effective. The only downside for me is that the pressure sensitive pen tool in Anime Studio does not work with my Graphire tablet. However the tablet works wonderfully in all other graphics applications.

Pierre
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

There are wacom tablet pc:s that have pressure sensitivity, I have one myself.
You can only use a wacom pen on it, not your fingers.

Personally the tablet pc was right for me because I also needed a laptop but I'm now thinking about getting a cintiq as well eventually so I can paint directly on my main computer.
Right now I have both computers running with the files
I'm working on in a shared network folder since I do everything except drawing on my (more powerful) desktop.
ruibjr

Post by ruibjr »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hi

The studio has 21" Cintiq monitors attached to desktop computers and we have no complaints. However, you are talking about the 12" version which is the size of a wacom tablet and is intended for portable use. So this works well with a laptop, the whole package would make it a little heavier than a tablet PC but it would definitely be better for you artistic and functionality wise.

If you want something for your desktop I would suggest the 20 or 21 if you really do want something portable, I would suggest a 12 with a laptop.

FK
Magnatude

Post by Magnatude »

I have a Cintiq 12
It's semi-portable. meaning it's about as portable as carrying a very thin monitor with one thick cable going into a 4x6 brick which 3 cables exit from (VGA/DV + USB + power line/brick).

the long thick cable allows me to freely manipulate the Cintiq on my lap or sit in an e-z chair beside my comp.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I've only heard that the Tablet PC has a gap from pen to surface.

Now, my 8 yr old daughter uses my old Graphire with Artrage.
Graphire pens are slimmer. The included Cintiq 12 pen is quite a thick Intuos 4 type pen.

After using a Graphire tablet and switching to the Cintiq, I did notice "advantage" of "not having my hand in the way" which is really weird because drawing pen on paper with your hand in the way is supposed to be natural, lol.
But you can use the Cintiq as an Intuos by swapping screens, so your pen is only "active" on your real monitor. So you can still have your hand out-of-the-way when you need to.
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

The only tihing preventing me from getting a Cintiq is the cost! Several hundred dollars is alot to spend on a peripheral (and the 12" version at that).

Honestly, I always loved the idea of having a small, portable electronic sketchpad (not necessarily for animation, just for drawing). I therefore purchased a second-hand pocket pc for about $80 and installed Pocket Paint ($19), which has alot of the same functionality as Photoshop.

For a quick animation, I use Flip-It ($4), a simple page-flipping program with the ability to onion-skin the previous frame in order to draw the current one.

In addition, there's quite a lot of really nice music composition software for the Pocket PC too. This lets me indulge my musical side too!

All in all, I'm very impressed that I can do so much with a device that fits in my pocket. I never would have purchased one of these things for its original price but nowadays, these things can be purchased for a song.
toonertime

Post by toonertime »

I have also seen on the Internet how DS players
can be adapted into graphics tablets!

You can draw on the screen with a stylus
and run a freeware paint program on it.
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

Hi Toonertime,

Yes, by using a special cart that holds a micro SD card, you can use a freely downloadable program called "Colors" that is a very simple but very lovely paint program. I have it and it really is fantastic. The only issue I have with it is that all paint is done on one "layer". You can't split off the foreground from the background as you can with Photoshop (or Pocket Paint for that matter). So whatever you paint covers over what was previously behind it. If I remember correctly, there's no UNDO function either.

The one other issue I have with the DS as a pocket sketchbook is that it is very easy to lean your hand on the screen as you paint, thereby creating 2 contact points. This instantaneously creates a straight line between the two points which then has to be painted over.

Colors is now available on the IPhone/ITouch as well. The URL for Colors is:
http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/
Magnatude

Post by Magnatude »

AniPierre,
Yeah the cost was something that initially stopped me from purchasing one.
However I had a recent estate settlement and I managed to use part of it to invest in my personal studio.
I'm glad I made the investment tho, I do a lot of artwork that is not related to Anime Studio, and it does dramatically speed up my work-flow compared to using a regular Wacom tablet.
I bought mine at Compu2000 a few months ago.

Its good to shop around online, at the time Compu2000 was the cheapest and close to my location here in Canada
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I have a IBM tablet PC, it's great, light and portable. The only issue is it's too slow for some software. Know anybody if a tablet can be used as a monitor of another computer, like a cintiq?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I see that the next generation of netbooks are going to tablet pcs. I decided to wait for my netbook purchase til they are released. I just hope they stay within the sub $300 price range.
etherpictures

Post by etherpictures »

selgin wrote:I have a IBM tablet PC, it's great, light and portable. The only issue is it's too slow for some software. Know anybody if a tablet can be used as a monitor of another computer, like a cintiq?
It can be done. You would not get any pressure sensitivity though.
The easiest, cheapest way would be to use VNC.
http://www.tightvnc.com/

If your one of those linux type folks, you can just use a remote X session.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I have a tablet pc which works with both fingertips and pressure sensitive pen.
Obviously it's great for portability but won't work as an input device for the desktop, that' why I have the wacom tablet too, Ideally you would want a tablet pc for portable and a cintique for desktop.....niiice, expensive :)
Oh etherpictures, check your bios settings, the power might be turned down, I had the same problem with mine till I found that.