How do we reload scripts in AS 6 Pro?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

How do we reload scripts in AS 6 Pro?

Post by mkelley »

I'm working on my new color script and would like to test it in AS 6 Pro but I need the ability to reload scripts like we used to be able to do. Anyone have a clue as to how this is done? (Vern?)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Hold on... I was doing this before and I forget what keys I pressed...

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F5

This is for windows. I wasn't able to use AS 6 on my ancient Mac which is about the die of old age so I don't know any of the key commands for Mac.

Be warned... the tool script resources have been extended. There is a LOT more stuff to load in when you reload the scripts. You may find it faster to just reload AS.

It takes a bit longer to load all the tools and scripts so you have to wait for it. When it's "done" you need to select a tool again for the layer you are on. It won't automatically activate the default tool for the selected layer after refreshing.

For example if you have a bone layer selected and the bone selection tool selected and "refresh" or reload the scripts, NO tool is selected at all. You then need to select the bone selection tool again.

p.s. I'm moving this topic to the scripting forum

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Actually Vern, it's CTRL+ALT+F5. No shift needed. Odd though, clicking the currently selected tool after reloading does nothing, regardless of tool. You have to select a different tool or use that tool's hotkey.

Thanks for letting us know. :wink:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Oops!

I have a really funky keyboard. I pressed CRTL+ALT+F5 like ten times and nothing happened. I must have dirt in there... have to press it really really really hard... for some reason I pressed harder when I added that shift key or else all my banging on the keyboard dislodged the dirt. ;)

Yes... also forgot about the selecting ANOTHER tool thingy. To be honest I've been just relaunching AS for scripting... I uh... had some issues early on and it was just faster and easier. It seems to work much better now.

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Thanks as well -- good to know that functionality still exists.

I have some pretty cool enhancements to my color adjustment script I'll be posting soon.
chucky

Post by chucky »

HeyVern, how's your week going? :wink:
I am wondering if your magic aimbone scripts should work in the new release, as so far they are just prompting the warning dialogue.
I can't program as you well know :oops: so I'm not sure what do in regard to updating and/if using my special rigs which need the aimbones to work fully.
P.S. don't go too easy on the crackpots (except me, of course). :D

............Image
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Great week...

I have a 30 day trial of "Camtasia" which I am putting to great use. I also have a new web design and am working on that as. I will also be moving to a new web host hopefully over the next few days and switching to a new web development system... <phew>.

There are a lot of scripts to get switched over. I want to focus on Fazek's tools first as they seem to be the most universally popular tools. Strange I haven't actually missed them "as much" in 6. I had to reinstall both 5.6 and 6 about 3 or 4 times to test out some installation glitches and have not had bothered to install Fazek's tools in 5.6. I REALLY REALLY miss them in the old version but not as much in the new.

Still there were some gems that I want back.

Keep in mind there have been extensive changes and "additions" to the tools in AS. Yes, a few lines of code will make Fazek's tools work but then they won't have all the "bells and whistles". I have to test out his "Utility script" as well.

If you look at the new tools you will see that many of them have the same "features" at the top. Like flipping layers, or flipping points. Have you noticed there are some "buttons" missing now? There is no "flip points" or "flip layer" buttons in the tool palette... because they aren't needed. They are at the top of the document window all the time when the layer is selected and the tool is selected. Layer tools have flip layer buttons... point tools have flip points.

This new script feature buttons also have their own icons in the script resources folder. So... I have to decide... do I do a "quick and easy" conversion for now... or do I go the whole nine yards and bring those old tools up to date with the new features? I want to learn the process so I think I go with the later.

------

It was fascinating the discoveries you make about how people work with AS. For instance one of the testers was having a HORRIBLE time with some new behavior of one the tools, but I couldn't even reproduce the problem at all no matter how hard I tried. I tried and tried and tried. Were not talking about "fan boy ignoring problems". This was the difference between "I can't use this EVER" and "What the hell are you talking about?".

It just had to do with different styles of working AND also Fazek's tools which behaved in a way similar to the new tool in 6. I was use to it. Mike added a new option and everyone is happy.

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes I noticed the peak tool was gone, which doesn't really matter 'cos we can just hit the P button like in AM..... WT? Ah well.
Am I right in thinking the font conversion works better? Maybe I was just lucky with the fonts I was choosing to test, but it did seem a lot cleaner.... nice.
Yes some tools are indeed a bit different, not entirely sure I'm getting how the move points tool works yet, I keep missing the centre of a CP and selecting the whole shape accidentally. I will have to check the new manual, there's plenty of new stuff there.

:D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Peak and Smooth on windows is:

Ctrl+P
Crtl+M

I am still getting use to that. ;)

-------

Text improvements are probably due to the same improvements made to EPS import. Just guessing. It just seems that the bezier conversions would be identical for both.

---------

Look at the top of the document window with the "Translate points tool" selected. There is a check box "Shape Select". Uncheck that box and now the tool won't "accidentally" select shapes.

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

Ahh I new it was just me....
You see Vern, we fear change, don't we?
Well actually I'm not sure about that, it wouldn't be changed unless there's a good idea behind it huh?
All these new fangled ASPRO ch...ch..ch..changes , they're doin my 'ead in.
:D
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Does anyone know what the key-combo for reloading scripts is on linux?
If it's ctrl+alt+F5 it conflicts with bringing up a console so it doesn't work.