Can ASP give me an "animated-series" look and fee

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ruibjr

Can ASP give me an "animated-series" look and fee

Post by ruibjr »

Do you guys know o any productionn made with AS or ASP that has that kind of look and feel?
I know thhat it dependsmostly on the drawing style and that the tool is not what ultimatel defines it, but waswonderng if:

* Could one create episodes like Batman the Animated Series, mostly in ASP?
* Has anone done anything like that?

I actualy have already bought AS, and am loving it.
I like Bruce Timm's drwing style and have been doing some stuff like that in AS, just for the fun of it - while learning how to use AS.

But I have been having poblems with thingslike knees that deform while they bend, and arms that overlad when rotated.

I wonder if there are solutions/triks/scripts that make it easier to del with such bone "problems".
Specificaly, with charcters that have such large shoulders, pointy drawings and ttht kind of look.

Thanks,

Rui
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Mike Kelley, here, does an animated series in the style of Family Guy. It's strictly 3/4 view, but very accomplished. More ambitious stuff is definitely doable in AS.

There are many possible solutions to the joints issues, varying from simple to complex. It all depends on you needs and inclinations. Personally I use disconnected limb segments (i.e. separate forearm and upper arm). There are several bone solutions for contiguous shape limbs, but I finally settled on my approach for foreshortening and flexibility reasons.

:wink:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

New users of AS almost ALWAYS ask about the one thing that even the experts have been struggling to solve. ;)

The dreaded "collapsing joint" problem. I've come up with a few bone solutions... but even for me, the king of over complicated solutions, they feel over complicated. I came up with a scripted solution to move points in the joint to follow a "circular" motion around a joint to maintain the volume and shape... but that is on hold for now. Some issues with performance. It really bogs down with a lot of joints.

Some people have decided that just using some targeted point motion during limb bends is actually faster and easier. Do as much with bones as you can. Then when you are happy with the animation go in and tweak those points in the joint areas. Keep in mind though if you plan to do massive reworking of key frames you will have to move those point keys AND the bone keys.

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This Batman series was done traditionally, animated on paper. Because of its fast action sequences I don't see it done in any other way than hand-animated, frame by frame. AS would definitely be the wrong tool for any action-orientated story like this.

As for the styling: AS is perfectly capable of achieving the (very fine) look of that Batman series.

There's two ways to deal with restrictions like this. One would be to restrict your story to what your program of choice is capable of. Sometimes this could even enhance the effect, but very often it leads to stiff, formulaic animation. The other way would be to choose other or additional tools, which is the way I'd prefer: Do what I can in AS, do complicated stuff like turns around the X and Y axis frame by frame, by hand.
ruibjr

Post by ruibjr »

Thanks a lot for the replies.
I am going to keep studying the program and see how comfortable I get with the bones and switches.
Modifying individual frames would not be much of a hassle.
Separating the limbs sound like a good idea. I will try that, too.
Now, about mixing bones and hand-drawn frames, how could I go about doing that? I believe I would have to export the animations as sequences of images, then import them in a traditional animation package, then go from there.

Cheers,

Rui
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

ruibjr wrote:about mixing bones and hand-drawn frames, how could I go about doing that? I believe I would have to export the animations as sequences of images, then import them in a traditional animation package, then go from there.
You should look at the "hand drawn" effects that AS is capable of first then decided if that extra work is needed. Look at the settings in the Vector tab of a vector layer properties.

Do you have pro? If so you can use "brushes" to roughen up the lines to look "hand drawn". Not exactly clear on what you consider to be "hand drawn". Rough lines? "Wiggly" moving lines?, etc.

Some people think that the "quality" or smoothness of the lines are what define "hand drawn" but frame by frame and drawn animation can be done on the computer with a stylus.

-vern
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I'm wondering what " traditional animation package" are you talking about? Currently I think the best for frame by frame is Toomboom. If you plan to draw each frame then I would recommend TB. But when you start to use the peg system for animation in Toonboom you are better off with Anime Studio. If your a Photoshop pro or just know your way around Photoshop then Tooonboom will seem like an old friend.

You can do vector points mutilation in all the vector animation programs. I have tried it in TB and it works, but once you used AS and understand how to use AS, TB and most other vector animation programs seem and are slow in the work methods.

If you really want the hand dawned look, then try drawing on paper, scanning, color in photoshop or gimp then animate in AS. One problem is that AS can only have as many pictures as you have memory in your computer. It take a lot, but you can run it to problems if you are only using pictures.

So you have to think about the size and compression of each picture. Also if you do bring you computer to its knees, you can always do a two pass rendering. Where you render the moving background elements first, then render the foreground over them on the second pass. I have used this technique with 3d, never with AS because I use vector most of the time with AS, and I have had up to 400 layers and no problems.

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I did a test with about... 600 vector layers in AS for "frame by frame" simulation... yikes... it bogs down. I can't imagine what would happen with 600 image layers. ;) that's only 600 frames by the way if each layer is a frame... short animation.

-vern
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

When I was using Vue 4 it would get to the point where I would click on something and just wait. A minute or two later the program would respond. Have to understand that's with over a million vertices, and more like 3 mil. Vue 5I would crash all the time. Stop using it Vue 5I because it so unstable.

Dale
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

ruibjr,

Check out Parker's work in the Share Your Work section of this forum, and you will see that the answer is a definite "YES!".
My Anime Animation

Even though vector animation is more efficient than hand-drawn animation, it still requires a lot of skill and effort to produce quality.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

For genuinely hand drawn animation I recommend TVPaint. I already finished 2 films with it.
ruibjr

Post by ruibjr »

Thanks for all the replies.

I am checking TVPaint's website now and definitely am going to try it, too.

Cheers.