Idea for image layer enhancement

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bupaje

Idea for image layer enhancement

Post by bupaje »

I had an idea and made a quick mockup to explain it.

I was thinking it would be good if through some trickery (maybe mapping the image to two image layers behind the scenes or to a hidden 3D plane?) Moho could allow you to add a 'fold' or 'hinge' to an image layer. The idea being that you could could somehow rotate/shear or otherwise distort a part of an image.

In my case I cut up a fish image and rotate and translate the tail to make it look like it is swinging side to side but then have a hard time lining up the outline from the various body and tail layers ; I also have to line it up several times at different points in the side to side motion.

This might be useful for side to side motion as I mention for a fish or snake like motion; it might also be useful to simulate perspective in other things; for example you draw a building as a rectangle with the front and side next to each other, no perspective -as if it was unwrapped. Then you use this 'fold' to rotate front and side away from each other at thed edge where they meet the effect is the same as if you lined up two layers to make the corner of the building. Then you can 'unfold' either side as the camera moves in that direction to make it appear you are walking around a 3D object. Might be simpler in some cases than lining up layers to simulate 3D.

Again, not something we need but I offer the idea for whatever it's worth.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Just got back in town; as I read this I wasn't sure if I was clear so I wanted to add two more examples to illustrate what I mean as the problem it might help solve and an additional use. If this is all a lame idea then just ignore it. :)

This image shows a fish I cut up in parts, when I rotate the layer in the Y direction to simulate the side to side swimming I get the 'breaks.' I try to position the origin as exactly as I can on the edge and can adjust and resize them - or I guess I would have to add a mask to 'fix' the outline- but if it was possible to translate select portions of a single image by adding some points -making it sort of a 'pseudo vector' - I guess it would be a lot simpler to do.

http://stormvisions.com/moho/fish_12.jpg

As for the benefit I mentioned of drawing 3D shapes, I did a quick example in PSP using the distort tools so you see how I think it mnight be used in Moho. Import an image and add points as I mentioned in the initial post and bend to create a quick feeling of 3D depth. Of course can be done by drawing as vector as well.

This falls into the 'random ideas' category -not something absolutely needed but if it can be done might be a cool feature.