Why don't my bones affect the vector layer?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Beady

Why don't my bones affect the vector layer?

Post by Beady »

Hi,

I'm trying to get my head round simple rigging, so I took the tubby character, removed the existing bone layer and split him up into various vector layers, one for the left arm, one for the right arm and head, legs and torso.

Because I'm a bit lazy I copied and pasted the vector 'bits' from the original character into each of the new layers, moved the images apart using the layer translate tool, then added a new bones layer and added bones on top of the various body parts. Finally I corrected the bone parenting so that it made sense.

Now I can move the bones and they articulate just fine, but the underlying images are simply not bound to the bones.

Clearly I did something wrong. Can someone please tell me what it was.

Regards,
Bernard D
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello there!

have you dragged the diffrent part onto the bone layers, are you using the manipulate bone tool, are you on frame 0 or frame 1 or higher, all those make a diffrence!

GC
Beady

Post by Beady »

Hi,
thanks for the quick response.

Yes, all of the layers are within the bone layer. I am using the manipulate bone tool, and I have tried this on frame 0, 1 and 12.

Experimenting suggests that if I don't try and be quite so lazy and actually draw an object on the same layer as the one on which I did the paste, then the bone has the correct influence, but only on the newly drawn object, not on the pasted object. Is that weird? or what?

Cheers,
Bernard D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

try selecting all the points, and going to 'flexi-bind points' in the menu...
Beady

Post by Beady »

funksmaname wrote:try selecting all the points, and going to 'flexi-bind points' in the menu...
Thanks for that, I've not seen that option before.

It seems to make a difference although I'm not sure that I should have to do that as, it has seemed to be fairly automatic before.

Cheers,
Bernard D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

somehow along the way the points became unbound... this shouldnt happen unless you tell them to... you must have inadvertantly pressed something :)

Have you worked through all the tutorials?
Beady

Post by Beady »

I assumed that I'd done something wrong, although I've worked through this little problem repeatedly for a couple of days, and I was actually trying to apply a tutorial from the VTC site when I got stuck.

Thanks for the advice.

Bernard D